Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Great SI article on why young offensive tackles are struggling in the league (written by Doug Farrar)

Here's an easy solution.

Don't draft spread tackles in the top 10?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Here's an easy solution.

Don't draft spread tackles in the top 10?
Yes. Draft lineman only from USC and Stanford.

The spread has made evaluating a few positions difficult. Look at Manziel. Draft analysts really had no idea how he would translate to the NFL. Mayock even came out and said that he's never had a harder time evaluating a player. Same thing with the rest of the offenses that are coming out of the college spread. You can just say don't draft anyone who comes from these systems, because you may be missing out on a spectacular talent. Or, the opposite could happen, total system guy.

Quote:How about a beer?

Well... okay. But it better be cold!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:A reasonable article for unreasonable fans.
Unreasonable fans?

The gull of some of you.  This article was just full of excuses.

You don't expect your #2 pick in the draft to be constantly man handled and knocked on his cornhole.   This guy has been a major bust on the team and I am worried for blake this year and he is a big part of that.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Unreasonable fans?

You don't expect your #2 pick in the draft to be constantly man handled and knocked on his cornhole.   This guy has been a major bust on the team and I am worried for blake this year and he is a big part of that.

He's not constantly "manhandled" or "knocked on his cornhole". You actually provide a great example of an unreasonable fan. I think most would agree that he has not lived up to his draft status. But to exaggerate like you do, it as bad as someone saying he has been great.

;

;

Quote:He's a professional who was drafted 2 overall right? Can he do his job or not? I don't understand the excuses. This is year 3. Show us you can not be pushed aside, literally, and beat the guy that's trying g to kill your QB.

I completely agree with the bolded.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:Should NFL stop being old school and every team should just adopt the amateur spread offense? The extinction of the immobile, smart, strong arm, drop back passer, for short, skinny, athletic, first read, weak armed throwers.

Only if we're willing to increase the roster size by 3 players to accommodate the new churn rate of quarterbacks. Their expected career length will soon drop down with running backs and you'll have to draft one every two years to keep up.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I feel like the NFL should go the other direction and allow for more contact in practice, as well as bring back some more bump-and-run allowances in games. Players need to get used to contact, although not necessarily tackling to the ground, in order to get proficient in... wait for it... contact. Jolting a charging Defensive Lineman or blitzing Linebacker takes skill, skill that is developed from knowing what it feels like when your hands impact another player. RIght now, the NFL isn't set up for allowing the players to learn these things at a very fast rate.

I agree, though practice policy was collectively bargained for so it would have to be renegotiated during the next CBA phase.  The players caved last time because the majority of them live at or above their means which killed any leverage they might have had as a group.  Somehow, a lighter practice schedule was one of their points of contention.  With what appears to be more frequent occurrences of season ending injuries, one has to wonder whether the lighter practice schedule is doing more harm than good for them.

I'm with you on the allowing of more bump and run coverage in games, but it's never going to happen.  The league knows that offense sells better than defense to the casual fan.  Unfortunately, the casual fan's dollar is dictating policy.

Quote:The gull of some of you. This article was just full of excuses.

Yeah!!! The gull!!!

Bwahahahahahaha.....
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:He's a professional who was drafted 2 overall right? Can he do his job or not? I don't understand the excuses. This is year 3. Show us you can not be pushed aside, literally, and beat the guy that's trying g to kill your QB.

Shouldn't he be taught how to do that first? Wasn't that kind of the whole point of the article?

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Yes. Draft lineman only from USC and Stanford.
and Wisconsin, and Nebraska and Bama... 

should I continue with the plethora of college programs that still run pro-style offenses?

Penn St (hey a lot of Big Ten schools)

BC

FSU

anywho...

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2015, 01:01 PM by Kane.)

Quote:Unreasonable fans?

yet... he isn't really constantly. (being manhandled)

That's hyperbole at its finest here on the board.

Joker has never been truly elite (in his year and a half of play time)

but not many LTs really become truly elite (Top 5 for extended period of time).... might take a couple tries to find "the guy"

Quote:He's not constantly "manhandled" or "knocked on his cornhole". You actually provide a great example of an unreasonable fan. I think most would agree that he has not lived up to his draft status. But to exaggerate like you do, it as bad as someone saying he has been great.
It is never the players fault when they "don't live up to draft status"

They were good in college, some professional scouts and GMs make a decision where to take him. 

Completely out of his control. 

Now, you can dog a man for being bad. You can blame him for missing assignments... 

but to blame Joker for not being an Elite LT in year 3 because some other dude drafted him second overall is quite unfair.

It's like blaming Tebow for not panning out as a 1st round QB.

Not really his fault.... Denver knew what they were drafting.

It goes right up there with calling a 5th round draft pick a bust... yah mean?

Quote:...

It goes right up there with calling a 5th round draft pick a bust... yah mean?

I got you fam.

Someone just needs to tell Luke that the defensive lineman, if he makes it past you, gets your dinner!
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Yeah!!! The gull!!!

Bwahahahahahaha.....

Yes...this guy!

[Image: cartoon-drawings-of-animals-sea-gull-2.jpg]

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Another interesting article relating to the dying breed of traditional drop-back QBs entering the league.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-...ding_now_3

The times, they are a changing.

Quote:Another interesting article relating to the dying breed of traditional drop-back QBs entering the league.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-...ding_now_3

To adapt to the changing times, the extinction of the classic complex NFL offense to this college-high school gimick spread offense, the Jaguars next head coach, Jim Mcelwain.

Quote:Another interesting article relating to the dying breed of traditional drop-back QBs entering the league.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454?mod=trending_now_3'>http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454?mod=trending_now_3</a>

This along with the previous article proves that its time for the NFL to make a change, whether that be a change in offensive philosophies, or possibly start a developmental league so these guys coming out of college can have the opportunity to learn NFL style offenses.

I read this blurb and literally shook my head:

Quote:Bills General Manager Doug Whaley said he’s “a little nervous about the long-term future of this game” because he’s interviewing prospects who don’t know the difference between Cover-2 and Cover-3 looks and Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton says he has to teach “the absolute basics.” The uptempo, spread offenses that have taken over college football lead to simplified defenses, leaving Jets quarterback Bryce Petty to say he left Baylor without ever having to decipher different fronts, coverages or even who the “mike” was on defense.

“It’s doomsday if we don’t adapt and evolve,” Rams General Manager Les Snead said. “It’s on us to adapt, I don’t think any of us want this thing to crash.”
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/nfl-coachesexecutives-share-concerns-about-state-college-quarterbacks'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/nfl-coachesexecutives-share-concerns-about-state-college-quarterbacks</a>

That's crazy! Something needs to happen pronto before the NFL as we know it turns into backyard football.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."