Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Great SI article on why young offensive tackles are struggling in the league (written by Doug Farrar)

Quote:Should NFL stop being old school and every team should just adopt the amateur spread offense? The extinction of the immobile, smart, strong arm, drop back passer, for short, skinny, athletic, first read, weak armed throwers.
Let Chip Kelly offense play out but recent NFL historical play of mobile QB ends up working for a short time until NFL schemes limit it's success or said mobile QB is injured to point of not being as effective at eluding defense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The gist of the article is the spread offenses in college have become a detriment to the development of offensive lineman and QB's. Most of the tackles drafted high (Joeckel, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews etc..) have to learn a whole new technique once they enter the league, I think you guys will enjoy this.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/09/mythbus...ad-offense

A lot of insight here.

Players in those systems aren't getting the training they need to be prepared for their roles in NFL offenses.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

[Image: 430724_1272467522475_full.jpg]

Huh

Quote:This along with the previous article proves that its time for the NFL to make a change, whether that be a change in offensive philosophies, or possibly start a developmental league so these guys coming out of college can have the opportunity to learn NFL style offenses.

I read this blurb and literally shook my head:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/nfl-coachesexecutives-share-concerns-about-state-college-quarterbacks'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/nfl-coachesexecutives-share-concerns-about-state-college-quarterbacks</a>

That's crazy! Something needs to happen pronto before the NFL as we know it turns into backyard football.
Oh no! We have to go back to the days when NFL QBs took years to develop!

Honestly, I don't think they will dumb down the game so that they can get instant gratification from young QBs. Defenses will learn to eat this simplified football up and the teams with developed professional QBs will dominate.

Quote:so what if these linemen play for Chip Kelly?  Would they then suddenly play better?

You know they just might. Watching the Eagles offense flat out abuse the Packers starting defense this preseason makes me think they're ahead of the curve. If the Eagles go undefeated for a while, you can bet the rest of the league will take notice. The Packers defense in that game literally had no answers, and that was game three when teams game plan a little. I have this guy feeling that Chip Kelley is going to single-handedly change the NFL offense as we know it.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yea because it's that simple, don't be so dense. You don't find it odd that almost every tackle selected high over the past few years hasn't performed well? There's a clearly a developmental issue going on at the college level, teams will have to adjust their draft boards because of it, selecting a tackle that high in the draft isn't worth the risk.

I don't know that picking your OT later will do your team any favors. As I see it, the answer is a change in the way scouts evaluate OT talent.

'02

Quote:You know they just might. Watching the Eagles offense flat out abuse the Packers starting defense this preseason makes me think they're ahead of the curve. If the Eagles go undefeated for a while, you can bet the rest of the league will take notice. The Packers defense in that game literally had no answers, and that was game three when teams game plan a little. I have this guy feeling that Chip Kelley is going to single-handedly change the NFL offense as we know it.

I don't see it that way.

The more tape is made of Kelly, I don't think it will be long before NFL defenses figure it out.

I doubt the tail (college) will wag the dog on an NFL-wide basis.

There's really no reason for it.  The reason such offenses work in college is that you put the fastest guys on offense and outmatch defenses.  It's lazy, but it works if you are out recruiting the competition.  Talent is much closer in the NFL and you can't get the advantage the same way.  It's why so many offensive stars in college systems like that bust at such a high rate in the NFL.

I see Kelly as a more successful version of Spurrier.  Like Spurrier, I simply don't see it lasting.

Not unless the NFL preparedness level at the college level turns down at a high rate.  Then it will have to.  But because of lack of development of skilled talent, not anything innovative about what Kelly is doing.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."