Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
lots of presure on gus,and Jags this year

Quote:8-8 or above for me.

It's time. I dont care about a close loss. It's still a loss.

Just like i wouldnt hold it against the Jags if they won by three or by one.

Win some damn games. For once.

So are you saying if the team finished 7-9 and you were Khan, you'd fire Gus and start over?

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So are you saying if the team finished 7-9 and you were Khan, you'd fire Gus and start over?

Id be pretty unhappy

Quote:I don't recall saying I was "o.k" with 6 wins. I was responding to posters who suggested that we should tear everything down and start over if we had 6 wins. Big difference. Of course I'd be extremely disappointed with 6 wins, but I would give Gus another year if we had 6 wins, were competitive in the other 10 games and showed continued improvement in the 3 phases of the game. Throwing out coaches every 3 or 4 years? How's that been working?
I don't think anyone is saying tear it down and start over. What they are saying is that there should be some accountability for the people running things if this team continues to struggle this year.

That accountability usually begins with the coach. Another losing effort by this team this year should most definitely be a threat to Bradley's job. Bradley is most definitely under pressure this year to get a respectable performance from his team. Rebuilding is no longer a fall back excuse.

Quote:8-8 or above for me.

It's time. I dont care about a close loss. It's still a loss.

Just like i wouldnt hold it against the Jags if they won by three or by one.

Win some damn games. For once.

To be fair, staying close in games would be a huge improvement. We were badly outclassed by average teams alot last season. I remember back in 03, Del Rio's first year, where we only won 5 or 6 games but the team started playing really well and ended up finishing ranked 2nd against the run on defense.

My expectations are for the team to play closer games and to start forming an identity. Those JDR teams were built around a strong defensive front and a powerful ground game, and that all started in 2003. Right now the team has no identity. I don't care if it's a high powered passing attack or a stout defense, it's time for this team to form a foundation or I see no reason to keep Gus around.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:I don't think anyone is saying tear it down and start over. What they are saying is that there should be some accountability for the people running things if this team continues to struggle this year.

That accountability usually begins with the coach. Another losing effort by this team this year should most definitely be a threat to Bradley's job. Bradley is most definitely under pressure this year to get a respectable performance from his team. Rebuilding is no longer a fall back excuse.

I think we all agree that we're tired of one losing season after another. We're all exasperated hearing, every pre-season, that THIS year is going to be different. My point is simply this; We cannot fall into the trap that many NFL teams have fallen into in the past, that is, causing our impatience to shorten the time frame for each new coaching staff to produce a winner. With each changeover comes a new offensive and defensive philosophy, new assistant coaches, a new playbook to master, etc., etc. This coaching staff seems to be different from past failures. The talent level of the team seems to be improved. They seem to have a " built to last " mentality, rather than a " win now at any cost " philosophy. It took the Steelers 40 years to win their first championship, but starting in the mid-seventies they adopted a " built to last " strategy that resulted in multiple Super Bowl victories. Let's give this staff a fair chance.

Quote:To be fair, staying close in games would be a huge improvement. We were badly outclassed by average teams alot last season. I remember back in 03, Del Rio's first year, where we only won 5 or 6 games but the team started playing really well and ended up finishing ranked 2nd against the run on defense.

My expectations are for the team to play closer games and to start forming an identity. Those JDR teams were built around a strong defensive front and a powerful ground game, and that all started in 2003. Right now the team has no identity. I don't care if it's a high powered passing attack or a stout defense, it's time for this team to form a foundation or I see no reason to keep Gus around.

Last year the team finished with the least amount of penalties in the league with 73 (Seahawks were worst at 130), and that can at least be part of their identity.

'02

Quote:I'm interested to hear your opinion on what he said. If he's saying the team is built to own the AFC South, how is it wrong to expect that? Wait EVEN longer after a decade of sucking for draft picks to mature? Hell no. Being eliminated from the play-offs or wildcard in October is embarrassing, and enough is enough.
What he said was that the pieces for a team that will go on to dominate the AFC South are in place. That there aren't any positions where we need to blow it up again and start from scratch. That the core of players we have on the roster will be the same core of players next year, and the year after, and have the talent that it takes to win the division. The roster is built.

But just because those pieces are now in place, you can't expect the team to win straight away. Dante Fowler Jr is part of that roster, and I don't see him contributing much this year. Bortles was a pick we knew would be raw for the first year or two. He's shown us how he can improve, and he's going to continue to improve. He's one of the parts of the roster that will help this team contend for many years to come, but he's still going to be somewhat raw this year. So don't expect the roster being built to mean first year results (well, expect some results, but not instant domination of the AFC South).

Quote:Keep sipping your tea...you have nothing constructive to say on matter. You think Sosa doesn't know what he is talking about because you don't agree. Another 2 years of rebuild should do it right?
So you're turning out weak analogies and insults, and I have nothing constructive to say? Oh, the irony.

No, another 2 years of rebuild shouldn't do it. The rebuild is largely over. Going from there to Superbowl contender is not an instant result, and blowing it all up again if that takes a year longer to come about is a really bad idea.

Quote:I don't think anyone is saying tear it down and start over. What they are saying is that there should be some accountability for the people running things if this team continues to struggle this year.

I don't think anyone's saying give Bradley tenure, either. A poor result this year (by Khan's expectations, not ours) absolutely ought to put Bradley on the hot seat. He's just not on it yet (any more than most coaches are). At the end of the day, I suspect everybody fundamentally agrees - all we're arguing about is a couple of games margin on what constitutes an acceptable result, and one season on what constitutes an acceptable time to deliver.

I think things will be starting to get a little warm.