Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
lots of presure on gus,and Jags this year

To keep his job, Bradley will need 6 to 7 wins this season. Perusing your schedule leads me to believe that best case scenario is likely 8 wins. You do have 4 games against the Texans and Titans and 4 games against NFC South competition.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I just checked things out. first year Gus went 4-12   last year it dropped to 3-13. your supposse to get better next season with more wins,not have more losses. My dad has already said if 

Jags have another loseing season Gud will be gone. He could be fired by the 8th game if we are 0-8 again. I agree with my dad 100%. 

Jags need a better record this year. they have to win  at least 9 some how. 9-7 would be a winning season.  any other thoughts?

This is a show me year for Gus Bradley, and he knows it.  He came out in a presser and said the team has been built that will own the AFC South this year and many to come, which is huge from a guy that doesnt talk a lot of smack.

Quote:As long as we go at least 6-10, I'm fine with that.

Really?  Why would you be okay with losing?  I do not think that most fans would be okay with only 6 wins after 3 years into it. It is time to at least break the .500 mark this season!

Quote:This is a show me year for Gus Bradley, and he knows it.  He came out in a presser and said the team has been built that will own the AFC South this year and many to come, which is huge from a guy that doesnt talk a lot of smack.

Really?  Why would you be okay with losing?  I do not think that most fans would be okay with only 6 wins after 3 years into it. It is time to at least break the .500 mark this season!
I get where you're coming from here, but understand it's not that anyone is 'okay' with only 6 wins; the idea was more about what the minimum record would be for Gus to remain here. That's a different idea than being 'satisfied' with only 6 wins. Now having said this, the 'six wins saves Gus' idea was proposed back before the injury bug elected to visit our team. Given the situation with Marks, Fowler, and Thomas, Gus 'might' arguably have a reasonable rational if the team fails to reach 6 wins this season. Not that it would make any of the fans feel better; we've endured one awful season after another for years now and we've heard all the excuses before. No one (no one not in a straight jacket, that is) is looking for us to win a super bowl this season; however, it's time for this team to stop being so...... awful. We'll see.

Quote:I disagree. For starters, 8-8 is a non-losing season. For another, 6 wins would be enough to show marked improvement and for Gus' job to be safe for at least one more season. Quite frankly, 9 wins with this schedule and roster would take a miracle.

I disagree on 9 wins. In certainly not expecting it, but if Bortles plays well than he could certainly get us 9 wins. QB's can overcome a lot of short comings.

Quote:There is one type of 6-10 when you are 3 seasons into a rebuild and that is a bad 6-10.

You can say there is a such thing as a "good" 6-10 but trust me, there won't be a "good" perspective attached to that record. There will be a lot of outrage and a lot of examples of failure with 6-10.

Like I said, there is no such thing as a "competitive" 6-10 three years into the job. There will only be a consistently coming up short 6-10.

I don't care about fan outrage. I'm talking about what is going on in the building. And I disgree. We haven't won 6 games since 2010. We would be doubling our win total from last year. And if Bortles is playing well I just don't see them blowing it up and starting over again. It would certainly be an improvement.

Sweep the tacks, beat the bucs, ground the jets, split the tinhorns...

That's five wins... Carolina and Miami are winnable...

That's 7 wins...

6-10, as someone else said should be the minimum, we should expect at least that.

A 7-9 or 8-8 season would be signs of true progress...

Anything less than 8-8 and Gus needs to go.

Quote:This is a show me year for Gus Bradley, and he knows it.  He came out in a presser and said the team has been built that will own the AFC South this year and many to come, which is huge from a guy that doesnt talk a lot of smack.

Agreed. If fans knew they'd win 6 after just 4 last year, how many would be buying tickets? 8-8 would be progress...anything under is just another losing season, making it ,what?, 8 straight years?
Blakes Life Matters

Anyone who thinks a number is attached to the decision to fire Gus or not is completely unaware of the reality of the situation. Gus could win 2 games and still be the teams coach next year. What matters most, Is improvement. numbers can be manipulated to paint whatever picture you want. 

If we go 2-14 but I see a dominant defense shutting down offenses for over half the game and a backup QB leading a broken offense with injuries, You understand why those losses happened. Situations like that can and probably will occur. 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:Anyone who thinks a number is attached to the decision to fire Gus or not is completely unaware of the reality of the situation. Gus could win 2 games and still be the teams coach next year. What matters most, Is improvement. numbers can be manipulated to paint whatever picture you want.

If we go 2-14 but I see a dominant defense shutting down offenses for over half the game and a backup QB leading a broken offense with injuries, You understand why those losses happened. Situations like that can and probably will occur.

While I agree that there's not a set number of wins expected where he would keep his job, I can't see any way in hell he'd be back with 2 wins.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Crocodiles are ornery because of an enlarged Medulla oblongata.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2015, 10:48 AM by BassX97.)

Quote:While I agree that there's not a set number of wins expected where he would keep his job, I can't see any way in hell he'd be back with 2 wins.

It depends. There is a checklist every GM/Owner must go through at the end of season. How did the players play in the last 5 games? Did they play uninspired? How many points on AVG did they lose by? Did players progress or regress? How many starting injuries did you suffer throughout the season? 

I think the only unforgivable numbers no matter the situation, Is 0 or 1 win and 5+ = guaranteed safe no matter what, 7+ probably gets him another contract.

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:It depends. There is a checklist every GM/Owner must go through at the end of season. How did the players play in the last 5 games? Did they play uninspired? How many points on AVG did they lose by? Did players progress or regress? How many starting injuries did you suffer throughout the season?

I think the only unforgivable numbers no matter the situation, Is 0 or 1 win and 5+ = guaranteed safe no matter what, 7+ probably gets him another contract.

I could care less how they played the last 5 games. How does that W/L record look?

I expect great things out the the team this year. If we do not come out with at least 7 wins, we need to start looking elsewhere. I love Gus and I think he has contributed a lot to the team, but he has so many weapons now that should produce wins. If the wins don't come, it's obvious that his style of coaching does not allow for these great players to contribute the way they are supposed to. Sure we have some guys hurt, but there is still plenty of talent that will suit up this Sunday.

1 PANTHERS WINNABLE
2 DOLPHINS WINNABLE
3 @PATRIOTS TOUGH

4 @COLTS TOUGH

5 @BUCCANEERS WINNABLE
6 TEXANS WINNABLE
7 BILLS WINNABLE
9 @JETS WINNABLE
10 @RAVENS TOUGH

11 TITANS WINNABLE
12 CHARGERS TOUGH

13 @TITANS WINNABLE
14 COLTS WINNABLE
15 FALCONS WINNABLE
16 @SAINTS WINNABLE
17 @TEXANS WINNABLE

Looking over the schedule, I think there are 12 games I think we have a decent change of winning.  If we split those and steal one from the other 4 that's 7 wins.  The schedule really isn't that bad.  First two games are huge.  We can't go 0-2.  But if we go 2-0 I think we end up in the playoff hunt at the end of the season.  

1 PANTHERS Win
2 DOLPHINS  Loss
3 @PATRIOTS Loss
4 @COLTS Loss
5 @BUCCANEERS Win
6 TEXANS Win
7 BILLS  Loss
9 @JETS Win
10 @RAVENS Loss

11 TITANS Win
12 CHARGERS Loss
13 @TITANS Loss
14 COLTS Loss
15 FALCONS Win
16 @SAINTS Loss
17 @TEXANS Loss

6-10. Slowly making progress.

Quote:Anything less than 8-8 and Gus needs to go.
Bingo.  Nothing less or he should get the pink slip.  This is year 3 with a non-rookie 3rd overall pick QB.  2 veteran/1 elite TE.  The only questionable things on offense are LT, WR's dropping passes, and RB.  No more excuses.  I know some people will get their panties in a wad over that; however, we need to have some accountability.  3 consecutive losing seasons means you do not have what it takes to coach a NFL team.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Crocodiles are ornery because of an enlarged Medulla oblongata.

I believe you mean "because they have all those teeth and no toothbrush." Geez... :teehee:

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Bingo. Nothing less or he should get the pink slip. This is year 3 with a non-rookie 3rd overall pick QB. 2 veteran/1 elite TE. The only questionable things on offense are LT, WR's dropping passes, and RB. No more excuses. I know some people will get their panties in a wad over that; however, we need to have some accountability. 3 consecutive losing seasons means you do not have what it takes to coach a NFL team.

What will be REALLY funny is seeing the people that are putting a count on the number of wins he needs 'get their panties in a wad' when he's back again.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

For anyone talking about a 9-7 record, here's a very good question from the radio recently: when was the last time a team won as many games in one season as they did in the previous three years combined? Because that's what you're asking for. And I think that also showed what a ridiculous expectation 8-8 is as a minimum acceptable record.