Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags finalizing a trade sending Julius Thomas for Albert

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017, 12:37 AM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:FTFY. Albert is not an upgrade, we just took a step back. 
Based on?

Beachum was a huge negative in the run game. Was an average pass blocker last year.

Albert is a much better run blocker and although not quite as good as Beachum in the pass blocking department, more than adequate. When healthy he is viewed as a high end LT. This is most definitely an upgrade in some capacity even if you're down on Albert. 

No idea why people keep bringing up his age, Beachum sure as hell didn't look like a long-term answer last year. Who cares if he was younger? We're likely looking for a new LT in a couple years regardless. Albert can move into the LG spot and be very solid there (his game surely would fit there), whereas Beachum refused to sign anywhere last year that wanted him to play anywhere but LT.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:What cap issues? Have you looked at our free cap room? We are ditching a decent cap hit from JT too... Why would we offer Beachum the contract, if we didn't expect him to fulfill it? Who do we need to pay that our free cap space won't cover? Bortles is not a 20 mil/year QB. ARob is a serviceable WR1, not elite. Who are we going to pay over the next 4 years? A CB, 2 LBs, and maybe 2 DEs, we have nobody on this team worth a top $ contract yet.. You pay a premium on LT's, you have to. By the time Beachum's 4 year option is up, thats when you pay the Ramseys and the Ngakoues.

We also cut Jared Odrick. Before February 15, we were #7 in cap space. TTR is worse than me at not using Google.

Quote:What cap issues? Have you looked at our free cap room? We are ditching a decent cap hit from JT too... Why would we offer Beachum the contract, if we didn't expect him to fulfill it? Who do we need to pay that our free cap space won't cover? Bortles is not a 20 mil/year QB. ARob is a serviceable WR1, not elite. Who are we going to pay over the next 4 years? A CB, 2 LBs, and maybe 2 DEs, we have nobody on this team worth a top $ contract yet.. You pay a premium on LT's, you have to. By the time Beachum's 4 year option is up, thats when you pay the Ramseys and the Ngakoues.
We offered that contract to Beachum for him to prove it this past season and if we weren't happy with his play we'd let go of him...which is exactly what we did. He wasn't worth the option that we would have picked up. I would have been fine picking it up and hoping for a rebound, but his play was definitely very underwhelming last year and wasn't nearly what I expected from him. If he doesn't fit what Marrone/TC want this OL to do (he is a very poor run blocker and always has been, which is something I know we want to do which is likely a big reason for us letting him) than good riddance. Find someone who fits better and someone you feel can be good here. They view that in Albert.

Quote:Based on?

Beachum was a huge negative in the run game. Was an average pass blocker last year.

Albert is a much better run blocker and although not quite as good as Beachum in the pass blocking department, more than adequate. When healthy he is viewed as a high end LT. This is most definitely an upgrade in some capacity even if you're down on Albert. 

No idea why people keep bringing up his age, Beachum sure as hell didn't look like a long-term answer last year. Who cares if he was younger? We're likely looking for a new LT in a couple years regardless. Albert can move into the LG spot and be very solid there (his game surely would fit there), whereas Beachum refused to sign anywhere last year that wanted him to play anywhere but LT.

We are bringing Albert in to play LT. At this point I would prefer keeping Beachum and moving Albert to LG, but we don't know what Coughlin's free agency plan is.

Quote:We are bringing Albert in to play LT. At this point I would prefer keeping Beachum and moving Albert to LG, but we don't know what Coughlin's free agency plan is.
Beachum was a below average LT that sucks in run blocking which is what this offense is going to base things on...pretty sure Beachum is gone. Can put Albert in at LT and bring in a guy like Zeitler/Warford while moving Cann to his natural LG position. Sign me up for that.

Quote:Beachum was a below average LT that sucks in run blocking which is what this offense is going to base things on...pretty sure Beachum is gone. Can put Albert in at LT and bring in a guy like Zeitler/Warford while moving Cann to his natural LG position. Sign me up for that.

I just don't want a downgrade in pass blocking at the most important position for that responsibility.

So we are back to having 70 million in cap space, more if we cut House. We're eating steak tonight folks!

No but really, we have a 2 time superbowl winning coach making the personnel decisions, a team loaded in young talent, and 70 million in cap room. 

Pass me the Teal Kool-Aid, im drinking right from the pitcher tonight. 

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017, 02:10 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

First off rockin your a fan since year one. I am as well. So mad respect.

However. What I meant is simply this?

Are we to pay an average guy in pass protection. And subpar guy in run support. A through the roof contract?

If you feel he is worth franchise tag money for lack of production.

You take the option. But at 17 mill and than 13 mill for Beachum?

Or something of that range?

Just because the jaguars have the money. Does not mean to blow it.

So no the contract did not benefit the Jags organization as a whole.

And MJW why would I have to use google again?

I know of all the sports outlets.

And we have a math guy on the board as well.

So the simple answer is Miami trade is more cost effective than Beachums option.

Due to huge amounts of guarenteed money. And the steelers knew that.

And why the steelers dealt Beachum to us in the first place. So that huge contract was off the steelers payroll.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:So we are back to having 70 million in cap space, more if we cut House. We're eating steak tonight folks!

No but really, we have a 2 time superbowl winning coach making the personnel decisions, a team loaded in young talent, and 70 million in cap room.

reminds me of all those other times we had a billion dollars and still ended up picking top 5

Quote:reminds me of all those other times we had a billion dollars and still ended up picking top 5

It is the qb man. When you dont have one. All the money means nothing.

#Gojags

Quote:First off rockin your a fan since year one. I am as well. So mad respect.

However. What I meant is simply this?

Are we to pay an average guy in pass protection. And subpar guy in run support. A through the roof contract?

If you feel he is worth franchise tag money for lack of production.

You take the option. But at 17 mill and than 13 mill for Beachum?

Or something of that range?

Just because the jaguars have the money. Does not mean to blow it.

So no the contract did not benefit the Jags organization as a whole.

And MJW why would I have to use google again?

I know of all the sports outlets.

And we have a math guy on the board as well.

So the simple answer is Miami trade is more cost effective than Beachums option.

And why the steelers dealt Beachum to us in the first place. So that huge contract was off the steelers payroll.
Toms new sheriff here. 

New fans like you. Don't know how he.

Operates.

so maybe. Listen to old fans like me. Who knows tom.

This deal was done not for money. But to send a point. to Arob

and Hurns. Jobs not safe,

One bit.

Sullivan was sent to the dog. House. Beachum. Odrick . Thomas all sent packing by tom.

its his house now. So he decides on the recipe.

Not about money. or a bank. here.

maybe read up on. Tom Coughlin. So you know more.

You new fans , need to learn alot. bout NFL in past.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017, 02:27 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Quote:Toms new sheriff here.

New fans like you. Don't know how he.

Operates.

so maybe. Listen to old fans like me. Who knows tom.

This deal was done not for money. But to send a point. to Arob

and Hurns. Jobs not safe,

One bit.

Sullivan was sent to the dog. House. Beachum. Odrick . Thomas all sent packing by tom.

its his house now. So he decides on the recipe.

Not about money. or a bank. here.

maybe read up on. Tom Coughlin. So you know more.

You new fans , need to learn alot. bout NFL in past.

And I would agree and wouldnt doubt that as well.

He could very well have his hand in the cookie jar. Because ordered by khan to do that.

We will never have any clue. How much influence tom has over everything.

I would guess. Basically everything. And at a moments notice. Change stuff.

It could go something along the lines of this.

Dave whatever moves you want to make. Along with your in depth reasoning for that move.

You have to put on my desk and I must appove it or I can veto it and it is a done deal.

It would not shock me if this is how it is. Same with Doug and his ideas.

Caldwell has shown nothing as far as wins. So has no leg to stand on. Tom has won superbowls.

So yes, would make a ton of sense to be honest.

#Gojags

Quote:So we are back to having 70 million in cap space, more if we cut House. We're eating steak tonight folks!

Yea, we are getting ready to make up contracts for other teams.

Reading the Miami board, they are just as bad as here. No matter what the team does they are drinking that kool aid. lol

Julius Thomas was a good tight end for one reason, Peyton Manning.  He will never be above average in Miami.

I feel like this trade was more addition by subtraction.  Sure Albert is getting older, but I'm willing to bet he restructures the deal and the Jaguars get a couple good years out of him.  I actually liked Beachum, but I'm willing to bet the team knew something about his recovery.  He did not get better as the season went on, in fact, he may have gotten worse towards the end of the year.  Add to the fact he was sitting out practices weekly because of it.  I'm guessing there is something up with it.

Quote:Reading the Miami board, they are just as bad as here. No matter what the team does they are drinking that kool aid. lol

Julius Thomas was a good tight end for one reason, Peyton Manning.  He will never be above average in Miami.

I feel like this trade was more addition by subtraction.  Sure Albert is getting older, but I'm willing to bet he restructures the deal and the Jaguars get a couple good years out of him.  I actually liked Beachum, but I'm willing to bet the team knew something about his recovery.  He did not get better as the season went on, in fact, he may have gotten worse towards the end of the year.  Add to the fact he was sitting out practices weekly because of it.  I'm guessing there is something up with it.

Not true. Julius Thomas also was good because of Adam Gase, who he reunites with now. He will be playing in the same system that made him great in Denver.

Quote:Not true. Julius Thomas also was good because of Adam Gase, who he reunites with now. He will be playing in the same system that made him great in Denver.
With a quarterback far far worse than Manning.

Quote:So the simple answer is Miami trade is more cost effective than Beachums option.

Beachum was a FA, Steelers didn't have this contract on their payroll at all
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Beachum was a FA, Steelers didn't have this contract on their payroll at all

Man, that conversation is like the Oroville Dam of misinformation. Any second it's gonna burst and drown us all.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:With a quarterback far far worse than Manning.

But with the 30 extra pounds they're gettin 10% more Julius for the money!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:It is the qb man. When you dont have one. All the money means nothing.

It worked for Trent Dilfer