Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Transgender HS student wants to use female locker room

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 01:45 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Most of the mentally ill don't feel normal. You are correct. The government should subsidize corrective research to help cure the individual. In the meantime, a gender neutral bathroom is a perfect solution.

Do you also support research to help cure homosexuals?

If some transgendered individuals are mentally ill, it's because of the reaction and attitudes of their families and society, not because of their gender identification in and of itself.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Do you also support research to help cure homosexuals?

If transgendered individuals are mentally ill, it's because of the reaction and attitudes of their families and society, not because of their gender identification in and of itself.

Depends on the socially acceptable level of abnormality.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Do you also support research to help cure homosexuals?

Nice strawman. Stick to the topic.

Quote: 

If some transgendered individuals are mentally ill, it's because of the reaction and attitudes of their families and society, not because of their gender identification in and of itself.

Are you saying that they are mentally ill not because they are transgendered, but because of society? What?

Quote:I didn't think you were serious with something than unreasonable.

How is it unreasonable?

Changing into gym clothes is a waste of time.  It cuts into a lot of your gym time and most kids hate doing it.  Move the class to the end of the day, and have kids doing various activities that actually interest them (perhaps with heart rate monitors) instead of forced activities that don't really get you any exercise anyway.  That's how they do it at a school around here.  (in fact the class isn't even at school.  They work out three times a week outside of school with the heart rate monitors, and aim to keep their heart rate within a certain range.  They call it the 25th hour PE Class.  And it's for a grade.)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Axxe, hair spray and 3-hours-after-gym-class drawers.

We'd be able end the teen pregnancy issue... 
[Image: 2113169.jpg]

Quote:How is it unreasonable?

Changing into gym clothes is a waste of time.  It cuts into a lot of your gym time and most kids hate doing it.  Move the class to the end of the day, and have kids doing various activities that actually interest them (perhaps with heart rate monitors) instead of forced activities that don't really get you any exercise anyway.  That's how they do it at a school around here.  (in fact the class isn't even at school.  They work out three times a week outside of school with the heart rate monitors, and aim to keep their heart rate within a certain range.  They call it the 25th hour PE Class.  And it's for a grade.)

Yes, change the entire model of a school's Physical Education program because one person is too offended to use a special gender-neutral bathroom designed for them. Great plan.

Quote:Yes, change the entire model of a school's Physical Education program because one person is too offended to use a special gender-neutral bathroom designed for them. Great plan.

It needs to be [BAD WORD REMOVED] changed anyway.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:That's how they do it at a school around here.  (in fact the class isn't even at school.  They work out three times a week outside of school with the heart rate monitors, and aim to keep their heart rate within a certain range.  They call it the 25th hour PE Class.  And it's for a grade.)

None of this is really an issue for me but I could get on board with something like this.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 02:18 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:It needs to be [BAD WORD REMOVED] changed anyway.

Agreed. PE in public school is a joke. It is obvious how bad it is too because of the obesity rates.

Quote:It needs to be [BAD WORD REMOVED] changed anyway.

So then what about extra-curricular activities? What locker room should he use then?

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 02:28 PM by TJBender.)

Quote:Agreed. PE in public school is a joke. It is obvious how bad it is too because of the obesity rates.
My high school gym teacher had one simple rule for grading the class: if you dress out, you get your participation points for the day, regardless of what you did or didn't do the rest of the time. If you didn't change into gym clothes, you didn't get participation points unless you had a note from a doctor or the school nurse excusing yourself.

Naturally, 75% of the class just changed clothes and sat in the bleachers all day, and they got the same A as those of us who were out actually working for it.

Quote:My high school gym teacher had one simple rule for grading the class: if you dress out, you get your participation points for the day, regardless of what you did or didn't do the rest of the time. If you didn't change into gym clothes, you didn't get participation points unless you had a note from a doctor or the school nurse excusing yourself.

Naturally, 75% of the class just changed clothes and sat in the bleachers all day, and they got the same A as those of us who were out actually working for it.

Really? How old are you if you don't mind me asking? We had rules in our class (9 min mile, x amount of push-ups and pull-ups, actual participation) and we had to dance with girls for a few weeks.

Quote:Really? How old are you if you don't mind me asking? We had rules in our class (9 min mile, x amount of push-ups and pull-ups, actual participation) and we had to dance with girls for a few weeks.
30, and I went to a public school in Jacksonville.

Quote:30, and I went to a public school in Jacksonville.

Hmm, then we aren't that far apart. I was just wondering if that's something that's changed in the last 15 years or so.

It definitely was not like that at my HS. We would get failed for not showering too haha.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 03:05 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Nice strawman. Stick to the topic.

How is what you suggest any different than what was commonly believed about homosexuals not that long ago, that their behavior and sexuality was learned and a sign of mental illness that can be cured?

Are you saying that they are mentally ill not because they are transgendered, but because of society? What?

Yes...imagine your mental state if your family, friends and society in general condemned and ostracized you.

Gender and sexual identification of transgendered individuals is not a mental illness. Just because it is beyond your comprehension and experience does not qualify it as a mental illness.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Gender and sexual identification of transgendered individuals is not a mental illness. Just because it is beyond your comprehension and experience does not qualify it as a mental illness.

What locker room do you think the boy should use?

Quote:What locker room do you think the boy should use?

If the notion of their precious children seeing a penis on someone who dresses and acts like a girl is too daunting from some parents, then neutral facilities should be created. God forbid they learn something about the world.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Gender and sexual identification of transgendered individuals is not a mental illness. Just because it is beyond your comprehension and experience does not qualify it as a mental illness.

Well, believe what you want. I will stick with the doctors on this one.

Dr. McHugh, the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in a recent commentary in the <i>Wall Street Journal</i>, where he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’” – the notion that their maleness or femaleness is different than what nature assigned to them biologically.

“This intensely felt sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects. The first is that the idea of sex misalignment is simply mistaken – it does not correspond with physical reality. The second is that it can lead to grim psychological outcomes.”

The transgendered person’s disorder, said Dr. McHugh, is in the person’s “assumption” that they are different than the physical reality of their body, their maleness or femaleness, as assigned by nature. It is a disorder similar to a “dangerously thin” person suffering anorexia who looks in the mirror and thinks they are “overweight,” said McHugh.

This assumption, that one’s gender is only in the mind regardless of anatomical reality, has led some transgendered people to push for social acceptance and affirmation of their own subjective “personal truth,” said Dr. McHugh. As a result, some states – California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts – have passed laws barring psychiatrists, “even with parental permission, from striving to restore natural gender feelings to a transgender minor,” he said.

The pro-transgender advocates do not want to know, said McHugh, that studies show between 70% and 80% of children who express transgender feelings “spontaneously lose those feelings” over time. Also, for those who had sexual reassignment surgery, most said they were “satisfied” with the operation “but their subsequent psycho-social adjustments were no better than those who didn’t have the surgery.”

“And so at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.

The former Johns Hopkins chief of psychiatry also warned against enabling or encouraging certain subgroups of the transgendered, such as young people “susceptible to suggestion from ‘everything is normal’ sex education,” and the schools’ “diversity counselors” who, like “cult leaders,” may “encourage these young people to distance themselves from their families and offer advice on rebutting arguments against having transgender surgery.”

Dr. McHugh also reported that there are “misguided doctors” who, working with very young children who seem to imitate the opposite sex, will administer “puberty-delaying hormones to render later sex-change surgeries less onerous – even though the drugs stunt the children’s growth and risk causing sterility.”

Such action comes “close to child abuse,” said Dr. McHugh, given that close to 80% of those kids will “abandon their confusion and grow naturally into adult life if untreated ….”

“’Sex change’ is biologically impossible,” said McHugh. “People who undergo sex-reassignment surgery do not change from men to women or vice versa. Rather, they become feminized men or masculinized women. Claiming that this is civil-rights matter and encouraging surgical intervention is in reality to collaborate with and promote a mental disorder.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-...sex-change

Quote:If the notion of their precious children seeing a penis on someone who dresses and acts like a girl is too daunting from some parents, then neutral facilities should be created. God forbid they learn something about the world.

The boy refused to use a neutral bathroom and demands to use the girls bathroom.

Reading the above post, I'm surprised you don't just say to hell with separate bathrooms and locker rooms all together. God forbid they learn something in the world. Let them all change and shower together! I mean, where do you draw the line? What's to stop a perverts and/or sexual predators from throwing on a wig and saying "I identify as a girl" for free access to the girls locker room?

You do know that the vast majority of transgenders never have gender reassignment surgery, right?

- Bob Marley