Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Transgender HS student wants to use female locker room

Quote:You do know that the vast majority of transgenders never have gender reassignment surgery, right?

Ok.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The boy refused to use a neutral bathroom and demands to use the girls bathroom.

Reading the above post, I'm surprised you don't just say to hell with separate bathrooms and locker rooms all together. God forbid they learn something in the world. Let them all change and shower together! I mean, where do you draw the line? What's to stop a perverts and/or sexual predators from throwing on a wig and saying "I identify as a girl" for free access to the girls locker room?

Common sense.

I agree the girl in question should accept neutral facilities.

This isn't the first time a high school student got on a soapbox with unreasonable demands.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Learning the bad science of Dr. Paul McHugh

http://lgbtweekly.com/2015/05/06/learnin...ul-mchugh/

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Quote:What's to stop a perverts and/or sexual predators from throwing on a wig and saying "I identify as a girl" for free access to the girls locker room?
The student in question first identified as female at age 13. That would be an extremely long and intricate con.

Second, I can't speak for others on this, but I am entirely supportive of the idea that a transgendered person should use a neutral third location for changing, using the bathroom, etc., if they're not comfortable in the facilities designated for people with their hardware.

Quote:I support transgender rights in almost all situations. This is not one of them. Hardware should determine which locker room you suit up in. If a transgirl has already had gender reassignment surgery and the bits and pieces are no longer intact, yeah, she belongs in the girls locker room. If she's still got her man parts, she should be in a third, isolated location. There's too much risk of her being abused in the boys' locker room, and too much liability putting her in with the girls.

There are a couple of jokes here, but I don't want to get banned so I'll refrain.

Quote:Sure, you'd like to think that.  The problem is it's difficult for any of us to understand what it's like for a transperson.  To feel like you're in the wrong body.  Being forced to use the unisex bathroom makes her feel like she's not 'normal'.  This can't make sense to most of us, because we can't understand what it's like for her.  I know some people will say she's not 'normal'.  I very much disagree.  My wife's uncle's friend had a trans-child, who was pretty much as normal as they come.  Unfortunately like many transgender people, she killed herself.

Perhaps the ideal solution would be to stop having all students change into gym clothes.  It cuts into valuable gym time anyway.

To your first point.  I know that there are going to be some that disagree with me, but quite frankly if you are born male then you are male, plain and simple.  If you want to dress up in female clothing and "self identify" as a female, then there is a place for that.  It's called a unisex bathroom.  If that makes this boy feel like he's "not normal" well...

To the second point.  Exactly how long does it take to change into gym clothes prior to the class?  Exactly how long does it take to grab a quick shower and change back into school clothes after the class?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

There is too much freaking out over sexuality in general.

- Bob Marley

Quote:There is too much freaking out over sexuality in general.

Being Trans has nothing to do with sexuality

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Quote:Being Trans has nothing to do with sexuality
Actually, it does. That's why it's called "transsexuality".

Quote:Actually, it does. That's why it's called "transsexuality".

There are Transgendered individuals that never have SRS, Only when you have SRS are you Transsexual

Exactly! Humans are either are XY, or XX. Now lets get on to something more important.

Quote:There are Transgendered individuals that never have SRS, Only when you have SRS are you Transsexual
Here's an argument we've never had before Tongue

Quote:Exactly! Humans are either are XY, or XX. Now lets get on to something more important.
Actually, no. There are XXY and XYY humans as well. Chromosomes are a real [BLEEP] sometimes.

I agree to some extent.  I also believe that there is too much PC in today's society.  If a high school kid with male parts decides that he wants to "self identify" as a female, then he doesn't deserve any special treatment other than being told to use the unisex facilities.  If he doesn't want to do so, then the male facilities are available to him.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Actually, no. There are XXY and XYY humans as well. Chromosomes are a real [BAD WORD REMOVED] sometimes.

No XXX?

Y'all probably know at least 1 trans person and not realize it........

Quote:Being Trans has nothing to do with sexuality

I agree, so I would add there is too much freaking out over gender identification, too.

- Bob Marley

Quote:No XXX?
Only on the Pirate Bay Wink

Quote:Common sense.

I agree the girl in question should accept neutral facilities.

This isn't the first time a high school student got on a soapbox with unreasonable demands.

Common sense? Elaborate on that, please. It's not like sexual predators wear a sign around their neck that says "I'm a sexual predator". 

And yes, we agree that a compromise to the situation is a neutral facility.

Quote:The student in question first identified as female at age 13. That would be an extremely long and intricate con.

Second, I can't speak for others on this, but I am entirely supportive of the idea that a transgendered person should use a neutral third location for changing, using the bathroom, etc., if they're not comfortable in the facilities designated for people with their hardware.

I didn't say this student was a sexual predator. I'm saying that if this student is allowed into the girl's locker room, what's to stop a sexual predator from going that route? Does the age they identify at matter at all?

And yes, we agree that the best compromise is a gender neutral changing area.

Quote:I didn't say this student was a sexual predator. I'm saying that if this student is allowed into the girl's locker room, what's to stop a sexual predator from going that route? Does the age they identify at matter at all?

And yes, we agree that the best compromise is a gender neutral changing area.
I get your example, but I think it's a bit extreme. Presumably an 18-year-old male student would not get away with showing up for school in a skirt one day, proclaiming himself transsexual, then immediately being allowed into the girls locker room. I don't discount the possibility of sexual misconduct, but I don't think that's the form it would take.