Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles will become the best QB of this franchise

Quote:Dude if we had someone like Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Damarius Thomas...Bortles would look like Luck, or better.

Imagine if Justin Blackmon kept his head on straight and actually panned out.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: Yeldon needs to take a #4 seat behind all the vets. Not ready yet in my view.

I don't think that's fair. The offensive line gave him absolutely nothing to work with.

'02

He ran into them
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

He good.

Just to temper our collective BB5 lovefest...  Remember that he looked pretty darn good in last year's pre-season.  

He needs the O-Line to really continue to step up.  He also needs our OCs to not get scared.  The last thing we need is a predictable offense once the regular season begins.  And he needs the WRs and TEs to help him out.  Defenses are gonna be alot more complex.  We need the execution to continue and the gameplanning to be above Fish levels.  

But if the O-Line stays respectable, I think we got ourselves a team, boys.  There was that one play that Joeckel got blown up on, but other than that he was pretty OK.  There was another play very early in the game where I think Wiz lost his assignment.  And there was the Beadles holding.  But other than that, the pass protection I thought was good.  It just needs to be this good in the regular season.  Can we sustain this momentum?  That's really the question.

Also, Yeldon looks like a rookie.  Shoelace looked good.  And that Pierce guy looked good too...  I'm not sure if Yeldon was off because our run-blocking is bad, or if he's just not quite up to NFL speed yet.  I'd love to hear other people's take on that.

Quote:I remember 9 of 10 on third downs at some point. Bortles...he good.

This is the part that has my jaw dropping. You have to give some credit to Oley's play calling as well, but last week the offense converted 5 of 8 third downs with  Borltes in there. For him to have at least started out this game converting 9 of 10 is just flat out incredible.

Last year the Jaguars ranked 29th in the category converting only 32 percent of their third downs. The league average was around 40 percent while the Saints were the best in the league at 48 percent. I don't know what the Jaguars total was for the game, but 14 of 18 equates to a 78 percent 3rd down conversion rate.

'02

Bortles looks incredible.

Have to give the offensive line A LOT of props so far. Bortles is just standing in there making reads and throwing darts, trusting his guys. Linder and Parnell is a phenomenal duo on the right side.
Shock the world

Quote:Bortles looks incredible.

Have to give the offensive line A LOT of props so far. Bortles is just standing in there making reads and throwing darts, trusting his guys. Linder and Parnell is a phenomenal duo on the right side.
Watching Bortles highlights I noticed how quick Parnell's feet are. Him and Linder are the Great wall of Duval. Joeckel needs some work but he didn't play too bad.

Quote:Imagine if Justin Blackmon kept his head on straight and actually panned out.

I ate and came down from those mushrooms a long time ago.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:He good.

Just to temper our collective BB5 lovefest...  Remember that he looked pretty darn good in last year's pre-season.  

That was different. He had a lot of dropped INTs, lucky throws into coverage, etc.

The only thing that keeps my excitement tempered is the fact that Gabby looked pretty good in the preseason of his second year, too. I just checked: BG was 36/63, 355yd, 3TD, 0 INT in the 2012 preseason if I did the math right.

But still, BB just looks different - the pocket presence, the way he looks off defenders, his accuracy... DROOL!

Quote:This is the part that has my jaw dropping. You have to give some credit to Oley's play calling as well, but last week the offense converted 5 of 8 third downs with  Borltes in there. For him to have at least started out this game converting 9 of 10 is just flat out incredible.

Last year the Jaguars ranked 29th in the category converting only 32 percent of their third downs. The league average was around 40 percent while the Saints were the best in the league at 48 percent. I don't know what the Jaguars total was for the game, but 14 of 18 equates to a 78 percent 3rd down conversion rate.

As a follow up here, I just read this at jaguars.com...

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> The first-team offense converted 10 of 12 third downs.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

So in the last two preseason games, the first-team offense has converted 15 of 20 third downs. That's 75 percent. It's tough to put into perspective just how amazing this is.

'02

I like Greg Olson..  I'll probably like him more if this continues into the season.  Last year's offense was awful and it was a labor to even produce a first down.  Bortles is making progressions and reads and commanding a decent offense.  The plays are getting matchups that produce open receivers.  I'd forgot what that looks like.

Hoping for the regular season to go this way.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Trying not to get too high off preseason. But man...if he did have an elite WR with him it could be crazy.

If we just had a true #1 dependable WR, it would make a huge difference for BB and the rest of the offense.

Elite WRs are very very hard to find.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:"The Lions made a late comeback to spoil the night, but sophomore QB Blake Bortles looked dynamic to continue his impressive preseason." 

- NFL.com home page

Did they really use dynamic and a Jags QB's name in the same sentence? WTH is going on?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

we've said it before:  this team will go wherever the QB takes them.

Luckily for us, Bortles seems to be getting better which will make this entire team better.

Without Bortles improving, we'd be stuck with pretty much the same team that we had the past 7-8 years.... good enough to win anywhere between 2 and 6 games.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Also, Yeldon looks like a rookie.  Shoelace looked good.  And that Pierce guy looked good too...  I'm not sure if Yeldon was off because our run-blocking is bad, or if he's just not quite up to NFL speed yet.  I'd love to hear other people's take on that.

My impression was that there were few holes for him to run through.   When they split him out and threw him the ball, he had some good running room. 

Quote:I like Greg Olson..  I'll probably like him more if this continues into the season.  Last year's offense was awful and it was a labor to even produce a first down.  Bortles is making progressions and reads and commanding a decent offense.  The plays are getting matchups that produce open receivers.  I'd forgot what that looks like.

Hoping for the regular season to go this way.

I think one of the reasons they hired Olson was because Oakland, in spite of the rookie QB, had very few sacks.  Carr said that Olson was very good at teaching him how to read where the pass rush was going to come from and how to call out the protections and get the ball out in time.   Carr said that there was no pre-snap situation that he didn't feel fully prepared for. 

What really helps a lot, though, is that we have much better pass blocking this year.  

Quote:Slow your Roll Cowboy. Brunell and Garrard will take offense to this comment. If/When BB5 maintains his hightlighted stats for Several Years then your proclaimened statement may have merit. As of now, Time Will Tell...

Stop it! Blake looks terrific! He was doing this against second third team players last year, not first string guys. We are allowed to be excited by what we've witnessed from Blake.

This is his second season. Omg imagine how much higher that ceiling is.

Quote:Yeldon needs to take a #4 seat behind all the vets. Not ready yet in my view.

Eh, you're not being fair imo.

Rushing and receiving (RBs):

Bernard Pierce 17 yards from 7 attempts

TJ Yeldon 22 yards from 9 attempts

Dennard Robinson 36 yards from 5 attempts

Corey Grant 18 yards from 3 attempts

Storm Johnson -3 yards from 2 attempts

Nobody really stood out, that was Yeldon's first game while the others have already played 2 and aside from Grant the others are veterans. The Lions first team blocked the run extremely well and didn't leave any holes, Blake had the most success running the ball on scrambles than any RB.

Bortles is looking good. Quick release, accurate, athletic, good decisions.

At least the QB position is one of the few bright spots on this team.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2015, 08:35 AM by WingerDinger.)

Quote:Bortles is looking good. Quick release, accurate, athletic, good decisions.

At least the QB position is one of the few bright spots on this team.

I kind of disagree.. I think there's more bright spots on this team than some people tend to realize..

QB

WR

RB - kinda shaky right now until we get a good look at Yeldon, DRob showed flashes that he can be explosive

TE

Some OL - Seeing improvement among QB protection, Joekle is one of the main concerns and hasn't done much and should be phased out soon enough if trends continue.

K

And that's just the offense.. 

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]