Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles will become the best QB of this franchise

Quote:I'm an Eagles fan, but like to check out some of the younger QB's around the league. Bortles is legit. Joeckel looked a lot better run blocking than in pass protection. Need to do something about that. Got to keep your franchise QB clean.

Thanks for posting.  Consistency is Joeckel's issue atm.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Bortles is looking good. Quick release, accurate, athletic, good decisions.

At least the QB position is one of the few bright spots on this team.

Make that the starting QB position. If Blake goes down we're absolute toast.

'02

Quote:Make that the starting QB position. If Blake goes down we're absolute toast.

Agreed.  Probably most of the other team in the leagues could say the same about their starter.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I keep expecting him to Gabbert it up.  It's hard for me to be excited with all the disappointment we've had, because I always feel like our players that look good are either going to get injured or just absolutely suck when the bullets start flying.

There's no reason to feel this way. The differences between Gabbert and Bortles are night and day.

'02

Quote:There's no reason to feel this way. The differences between Gabbert and Bortles are night and day.

I'm aware. I just mean that I expect somewhere, in the back of my mind, for him to end up a colossal disappointment.

This team has been cursed for so long, and I have so entirely looked like a fool for supporting them, that it's difficult for me to be optimistic.

Quote:I'm aware. I just mean that I expect somewhere, in the back of my mind, for him to end up a colossal disappointment.

This team has been cursed for so long, and I have so entirely looked like a fool for supporting them, that it's difficult for me to be optimistic.

The problem is not Bortles right now. Its that we have pure crap blocking for him. On the other side of the ball we have average lineman getting no pass rush. That is why this season is probably not going to be too great.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2015, 02:49 PM by Bullseye.)

www.forums.colts.com/topic/39878-lions-vs-jags/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.forums.colts.com/topic/39878-lions-vs-jags/'>www.forums.colts.com/topic/39878-lions-vs-jags/</a>

How about a little insight for those of us who are banned from that board..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:How about a little insight for those of us who are banned from that board..

They basically said he looked great.

Huh

Quote:They basically said he looked great.

Gracias..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.forums.colts.com/topic/39878-lions-vs-jags/'>www.forums.colts.com/topic/39878-lions-vs-jags/</a>

Still hate them. But Colts fans are generally a bit classier than Houston or Tenn.

Glad to see a rival giving credit where it's due.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Dude if we had someone like Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Damarius Thomas...Bortles would look like Luck, or better.
Honestly, I think he will anyway. The improvement he has made in one year is incredible. We are talking about a guy who had trouble throwing spirals when he started last year - he was so far behind he was supposed to sit a year or 2. We have finally lucked out on a pick. We got the QB that you reach for. This is the guy that makes the prospect of taking a project player like Gabbert worth the risk. This franchise will look completely different by the end of the year.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Quote:Honestly, I think he will anyway. The improvement he has made in one year is incredible. We are talking about a guy who had trouble throwing spirals when he started last year - he was so far behind he was supposed to sit a year or 2. We have finally lucked out on a pick. We got the QB that you reach for. This is the guy that makes the prospect of taking a project player like Gabbert worth the risk. This franchise will look completely different by the end of the year.

Not only does it look like we got the guy. A division rival passed on him.

Quote:Bortles has definitely put in the necessary hard work to better his game this offseason and it has definitely shown in game. His stock is pointing in the right direction and it can only get better with his progression. 

I feel like we have found THE quarterback that we need, who can take us to the next level. He is our FRANCHISE QB. Also, his national perception will change positively - and subsequently our team - but that is something that does not matter. Winning does.

Now let's work with the players around him to get our team where we need them to be. Playoff contenders.

Go Jags!

I would argue a big portion of his improvement has been due to the Offensive Line improvement & Ast HC done by Doug Marrone.  Imagine how much more improved Bortles would be if his LT didn't stink so bad, and if he had one healthy explosive WR talent like a Megatron (Calvin Johnson).  I do think his arm was spent as he had reported last year, and being a rookie QB can be over whealming as people will remember that even the great Peyton Manning had a rough rookie year.

His athleticism, arm, size and work ethic give him the highest ceiling of any QB from the last 5 years or so in my opinion.

Quote:He's the best QB we've ever had in a Jags uniform. Going to be special if we can gather some talent around him. Right now I feel like the defense is still poor and Joeckel is short term...
To be fair he has to do more this year to be considered better than Mark Brunell (stats + acheivements).

Quote:Let's see what Henne and Morris and Tuel and the QB Coach and DRob and Colvin can do before we declare this QB competition over.
I realize you are joking but I wanted to point out that Tuel was waived.

Quote:Preseason or not, this is EXACTLY what you want to see out of your 2nd year QB.

Progression.
I mean that is what I hope we keep in mind, that he is only in his 2nd year & the Oline isnt exactly fixed to perfection (they have improved but only from the leagues worst to slightly below average... hopefully if they get a real LT that could go to elite OLine almost that quickly..)

I think Bortles has improved but he will have a few bad games this year so be prepared...

Quote:Imagine if Justin Blackmon kept his head on straight and actually panned out.
Yea that aint going to happen, he's a lost cause.... and has been for a few years....

Its a shame that their has been so many misses at first round for the Jaguars.. thank god Bortles isnt one of those...

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2015, 10:43 PM by DewtheMathis.)

Quote:I don't think that's fair. The offensive line gave him absolutely nothing to work with.
Sadly his injury didn't provide him enough reps in PreSeason to learn, and I did feel that despite the poor blocking his performance was below average I think he went 8 carries for 10 yards (and that touchdown didn't really look like the ball broke the line which probably wouldve been a fumble in a regular season game (Fumbles were his knock in college).

If I was Gus Bradley I wouldnt start TJ Yeldon over D-Rob for week 1.  Maybe have them split carries and allow him to prove himself in that game.

(Rotoworld talked highly of T.J. Yeldon though)..

T.J. Yeldon rushed eight times for ten yards and a touchdown and caught one pass for 12 yards in the Jaguars' third preseason game.
Making his preseason debut after a finger injury cost him the first two exhibition games, Yeldon got the start over Denard Robinson. Yeldon also stayed in on all third-down plays, operating as Jacksonville's every-down back and also getting back-to-back goal-line carries in the first quarter. Even when Robinson handled a first-half drive, Yeldon was inserted at the goal line and scored from two yards out. Yeldon's highlight play came on a third-down reception that moved the sticks, gaining 12 yards. This was precisely the kind of usage we were hoping to see from Jacksonville's versatile second-round pick. Yeldon is worth targeting as a top-25 back in fantasy drafts. Aug 28 - 10:17 PM
60. TJ Yeldon (RB27) — Ticketed for a three-down role, Yeldon is shaping up as a real bargain after missing most of the preseason.
-------------------------------------------

He did good on that one pass play... but for the love of all things football

will they please stop trying to make D-Rob a WR... he cant catch.. watching them throw to him on 4th down was gut wrenching...

i am so tired of seeing him drop passes.