Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Health Care

The repeal and replacement of Obamacare was one of the main issues in Trump’s campaign. He said he liked two things about the A.C.A. – the coverage of children to 26 under their parent’s plans, and the elimination of exclusion due to preexisting conditions. Even back when campaigning, he said he had a plan, and it was wonderful. Now we are hearing that it could take until 2018, and the Republicans, who have had nine years to come up with something better than Obamacare (not a terribly difficult feat) can’t reach consensus. This concerns me, as I think that getting a decent health care system is the single biggest issue that America needs to resolve over the next couple of years. With that in mind, I would like to start a discussion about health care. Before outlining my own views, I thought I would ask others for their input. What are the baseline attributes for what you see as a workable healthcare system? What system does it primarily follow (Beveridge, Bismarck, NHI, OOP, etc.)? What is/is not covered? I will give it a day or two before adding my thoughts. Finally, where do you all see health care as standing among the issues facing America and why?  

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Don't count on insurers doing the right thing unless it makes them money. The two things Trump liked were money pits for the insurance companies.

Quote:Don't count on insurers doing the right thing unless it makes them money. The two things Trump liked were money pits for the insurance companies.

As Lazarus Long said  -

"Never appeal to a man's "better nature." He may not have one. Invoking self-interest gives you more leverage."

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

I want to buy my insurance off the shelf at WalMart when I go to get my AR15, ammo, Jameson, and Marlboros.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

And my weed, can't forget that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Don't count on insurers doing the right thing unless it makes them money. The two things Trump liked were money pits for the insurance companies.

So why is an insurance company in business?  What is "doing the right thing" for them?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:So why is an insurance company in business?  What is "doing the right thing" for them?

Paying claims according to contract is the "right thing" they need to work on. Intentionally welching on a deal for profit is wrong.

Quote:So why is an insurance company in business?  What is "doing the right thing" for them?

Well, if we are talking about a for-profit company, I guess returning value to shareholders is pretty much the definition of the right thing. And regarding 'welching'  on deals, I imagine many "red in tooth and claw" capitalists would argue that if the payoff from not paying the claims exceeds the risk/penalty from not paying, then don't pay. 

<p class="bbc_left"> 

Quote:https://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/to...happening/

Yeah, after reading that thread, it doesn't really address what I was targeting in my intro post. Even if you ignore the veering off-subject that took up over half of it, No one really outlined either how important they thought the issue was relative to others, or what they would propose as solutions. 

<p class="bbc_left"> 

Quote:Well, if we are talking about a for-profit company, I guess returning value to shareholders is pretty much the definition of the right thing. And regarding 'welching'  on deals, I imagine many "red in tooth and claw" capitalists would argue that if the payoff from not paying the claims exceeds the risk/penalty from not paying, then don't pay. 

Strong contract law prevents that from happening. It's one of the few true purposes of government to enforce them.

Quote:So why is an insurance company in business? What is "doing the right thing" for them?

To continue making record profits? Are you seriously asking this?

Quote:To continue making record profits? Are you seriously asking this?

So what you're saying is that they shouldn't make "record profits"?  What should they be doing?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:So what you're saying is that they shouldn't make "record profits"? What should they be doing?

This is what hapoens when you dont know anything outside of going to school.

Quote:The repeal and replacement of Obamacare was one of the main issues in Trump’s campaign. He said he liked two things about the A.C.A. – the coverage of children to 26 under their parent’s plans, and the elimination of exclusion due to preexisting conditions. Even back when campaigning, he said he had a plan, and it was wonderful. Now we are hearing that it could take until 2018, and the Republicans, who have had nine years to come up with something better than Obamacare (not a terribly difficult feat) can’t reach consensus. This concerns me, as I think that getting a decent health care system is the single biggest issue that America needs to resolve over the next couple of years. With that in mind, I would like to start a discussion about health care. Before outlining my own views, I thought I would ask others for their input. What are the baseline attributes for what you see as a workable healthcare system? What system does it primarily follow (Beveridge, Bismarck, NHI, OOP, etc.)? What is/is not covered? I will give it a day or two before adding my thoughts. Finally, where do you all see health care as standing among the issues facing America and why?  

Thank you for posting. This is the kind of thread we need about the ACA and whatever should or should not come next.

I do not agree with most people on this forum because I have been through unique health insurance situations over the years and am 100% liberal. Be prepared for arguments between me and conservatives.

Quote:Thank you for posting. This is the kind of thread we need about the ACA and whatever should or should not come next.

I do not agree with most people on this forum because I have been through unique health insurance situations over the years and am 100% liberal. Be prepared for arguments between me and conservatives.

Have you even been denied any treatment you needed, even before ACA?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Thank you for posting. This is the kind of thread we need about the ACA and whatever should or should not come next.

Based on what you've made public on this forum, you are influenced very little to none with or without ACA.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2017, 03:34 PM by Solid Snake.)

I think we need to look at existing models that work. The Australian model works, German model works, Canadian model works. We also need to address why the United States has lower health outcomes compared to other industrialized countries yet we spend the most on healthcare. We need to talk about preventative care vs reactive care. We need to address the Obesity epidemic in this country. Lot of things to look at.

Quote:Based on what you've made public on this forum, you are influenced very little to none with or without ACA.

She may have family or friends who are. She may feel Healthcare is a universal right.

Quote:She may have family or friends who are. She may feel Healthcare is a universal right.

I get that. She was speaking on her own behalf and not that of others. FYI...ACCESS to healthcare should be looked at as a right. Making you and I pay for it outside our individual requirements via government should not.

Why does the original post read as if someone's homework assignment is due by 11:59 Sunday?
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]