Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler Jr to Linebacker?

Hey guys what do you think about moving Dante Fowler Jr to LB and use him like the Giants did Mathias kiwanuka? When Coughlin was with the Giants they drafted Jason Pierre Paul despite all ready having Mathias,Justin Tuck, Chris Canty and Osi Umenyiora!They then moved Mathias to linebacker. Jags could possibly have Ngakoue,free agent,Draft pick and Maybe Jonathan Woodard the forgotten man and then Fowler at linebacker.Thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

no

Definitely... He really didn't give us much on the line.. Why not put him on the strong side as Linebacker?? I been saying this for a minute..

Im fine with him not being a starting defensive end so yeah sounds good to me.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2017, 04:50 PM by KYjaggy.)

I guess it has been a week since this has been proposed...so I'll ask again, why would moving someone who is already a subpar athlete at DE to a position where he will have to cover even more space be a good idea? I don't think it is. 

And yes he played LB in college some and dropped into coverage some, but it was playing zone in the flats and he wasn't challenged. There was no example of him covering a TE up the seam or a RB on a wheel.

I strongly suspect his good straight line speed will help him chase down an NFL caliber RB or TE or god forbid slot WR after they take advantage of his awful change of direction skills and leave him in the dust.

Quote:I guess it has been a week since this has been proposed...so I'll ask again, why would moving someone who is already a subpar athlete at DE to a position where he will have to cover even more space? I don't think it is.

And yes he played LB in college some and dropped into coverage some, but it was playing zone in the flats and he wasn't challenged. There was no example of him covering a TE up the seam or a RB on a wheel.

I strongly suspect his good straight line speed will help him chase down an NFL caliber RB or TE or god forbid slot WR after they take advantage of his awful change of direction skills and leave him in the dust.

I really think his best position would be a 3-4 heavy ILB. Similar to how the Patriots used Brandon Spikes.

It would allow a straight path to the QB on blitzes and utilize his excellent violent striking ability against the run game.

I guess I should repeat what I would do too...bulk up a little and move him inside on passing downs. Ryan Davis 2.0. They have exceedingly similar measurables, and Fowler was a DT as a freshman at UF. Let his lack of burst and bend play up against slower guards and a straight line to the QB. 

Quote:I guess it has been a week since this has been proposed...so I'll ask again, why would moving someone who is already a subpar athlete at DE to a position where he will have to cover even more space be a good idea? I don't think it is.

The question is do you believe he can cover someone in space? I do..He haven't shown consistency at the DE position that you wanna see... His counterpart Ngakoue have... Moving him doesn't mean he is only limited to that position.. He can still be used on third downs in blitz packages..I believe Fowler is an athlete, and it would be a smooth transition for him.

I think at this point it's safe to say they should have taken Vic Beasley, who just got 15.5 sacks on what is supposedly the same defense.  

... But then again, I think I remember Beasley being called a bust his first season.  

how many of these threads are we going to get

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

People really need to put down the Madden game.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I guess it has been a week since this has been proposed...so I'll ask again, why would moving someone who is already a subpar athlete at DE to a position where he will have to cover even more space be a good idea? I don't think it is.

I don't think he's as bad at changing direction as his 3 cone says. Kam chancellor had an almost identical combine at 30 pounds heavier but you wouldn't really notice watching him play.

Quote:I don't think he's as bad at changing direction as his 3 cone says. Kam chancellor had an almost identical combine at 30 pounds heavier but you wouldn't really notice watching him play.
Of course there are extreme outliers for any example. I am not betting on Dante being one of those. 

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2017, 05:47 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:Of course there are extreme outliers for any example. I am not betting on Dante being one of those.
I think he looks better at linebacker rather than flailing around against a right tackle.

He's definitely more athletic in pads than his combine would indicate compare to others.

Quote:Im fine with him not being a starting defensive end so yeah sounds good to me.

Quote:I think he looks better at linebacker rather than flailing around against a right tackle.

He's definitely more athletic in pads than his combine would indicate compare to others.
"definitely more athletic in pads" and "flailing around against a right tackle" would seem to be diametrically opposing statements. If he were as athletic as you think he would not be flailing around against one of least athletic players on the field. 

Quote:"definitely more athletic in pads" and "flailing around against a right tackle" would seem to be diametrically opposing statements. If he were as athletic as you think he would not be flailing around against one of least athletic players on the field.

Nah not at all. 1) Definitely more athletic in pads does not mean he is very athletic, just that I believe he is more athletic than his combine says.

2) He has no moves as a pass rusher which is why he flails around. You can be a good pass rusher if you have lots of moves but arn't that athletic. You can be a good pass rusher if you have one or two moves but are very athletic. Fowler is neither.

I'd like to see what influence Marion Hobby can have on Fowler's hand technique and whether he can develop an inside move to attack the B gap. 

I actually do think Fowler has the potential to develop better ability as a pass rusher and I'm hoping Hobby is the guy to get him coached up. 

That said - I'm never opposed to coaches finding different ways to utilize a players strong suit - so I'm open-minded about him getting looks elsewhere at some point. 

Nope. He needs to sit tight at DE and he needs to get his attitude in check and discipline himself pre snap. He's still young. He missed all of 2015 and he flashed here and there in 2016.

He just needs to keep focusing on his techniques and strength in the weight room. He would maybe be a solid OLB in a 3 - 4 scheme but I don't see him being able to pull it off at his size in a 4 - 3 scheme. It's crowded enough as it already is. We need to see more Jack in 2017 instead of Skuta. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."