Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For Honor

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2017, 04:20 PM by badger.)

I haven't play this game.  I have heard both positive and negative opinions on it...

But this video is pure gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8O44ufowa8&t=144s

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It looks awesome, the free play week was when I was out of town. I'll probably Redbox it for a night and decide from there
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Awesome game... a whole new level of melee I have never seen. It has some small problems they are ironing out but man this is a fun game. Started last night and holy crap I love it.

I Redboxed this today, been playing the Knights storyline. It's pretty awesome, haven't jumped into online play yet.

It's really fun, but I'm not sure I'd pay $60 for it yet. I could see myself burning out on it relatively easily, but who knows.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I Redboxed this today, been playing the Knights storyline. It's pretty awesome, haven't jumped into online play yet.

It's really fun, but I'm not sure I'd pay $60 for it yet. I could see myself burning out on it relatively easily, but who knows.
story line is ehh... but the online is pretty kick [BLEEP]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The Good:

Great and unique game play.  I love the guard method.
Relatively simple to learn a character's moves.
Complex enough to be challenging.  Even though there is a limited group of moves, there is a lot to learn about how to use a character to the best of their abilities, so it doesn't feel like button mashing.
I love the one on one battles.  There is a real element to outsmarting your opponent.
Despite having relatively basic game modes, the level of skill and one on one combat against an enemy (or multiple enemies) can be very gratifying.  I have loved running into a group of 3 and being able to kill all of them.  

The Bad:

This game is buggy as hell, still.  It drives me nuts.  The load times are terrible.  This is my single biggest gripe with the game.
The skill difference can vary dramatically.  It's easy to learn the moves, but the best people can be vastly superior to everyone else.  One person on a team can carry.  I've gone up against people that have literally killed me without me landing a single hit... every single time.  So frustrating (but also encouraging because you are seeing what a character can do when played correctly)
Despite being way more skill based than I thought, there is an element of reflex to the game (I guess this is good or bad based on your skill, but goes into the negative for me).
While the latency has been pretty good, there are occasions where it seems like it's impossible to block or parry an incoming attack.  This could user error, though... I am still learning all the characters.  
Even though it's easy to learn a character, you need to know all of the characters moves before you can become a really good player.
There's nothing particularly new about the game modes.  They are pretty basic.

Final Thoughts: I really like this game, but the bugs are killing me (especially load times and disconnects).  It's not been enough of a deterrent to keep me from playing, but it has made me rage quit once or twice.  

The skill level differences can be very obvious.  I'll go into one match and wreck my opponents, then I'm getting crushed in the next.  Again, some of this is due to the fact that I don't know all the characters moves, but a lot of it is skill.  I went against the same class the other day and was super impressed how he was chaining his moves together.  I got WRECKED.  

Think of this game more as a realistic, first-person Tekken with swords.  The degree to which you will enjoy it is the degree to which you enjoy fighting games.  You have to master the characters first and foremost.  You will need to create openings and capitalize on your opponents mistakes, while attempting to limit your character's weaknesses.  

I'd give this 3 out of 5, and maybe a 4 if they fix the bugs, but I grew up on fighters and enjoy the element of outsmarting my opponent.  I can't speak to the longevity of this game, though.