Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Planned Parenthood

Quote:Then fund a group where they help low income woman providing medical services that don't also kill babies and sell their body parts.

As RJ also pointed out, the federal funds are not (and cannot be) used for the abortions, which is a very small part of their operation.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What shack said.

Also abortion doesn't kill babies.

Quote:Who cares?  If a person does not wish to go through with pregnancy, it's thier prerogative.  What racists think isn't really anything I care to discuss in regards to Abortion and a woman's right to make up her own choices.

I thought you were for freedom and less government in our lives...  

I am for less government. When the government helps fund abortions for black poor women it is more government. And the claim that the government funding isn't used for abortions is disingenuous. Money is fungible. Government money goes to PP. PP performs discount abortions for black poor women.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015, 11:35 AM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:I am for less government. When the government helps fund abortions for <del>black</del> poor women it is more government. And the claim that the government funding isn't used for abortions is disingenuous. Money is fungible. Government money goes to PP. PP performs discount abortions for <del>black</del> poor women.
Actually, it's the law, I believe... so it's disingenuous of you to wish to close PP because of government funding of abortions, even though it's not happening, not a part of the law, and has no basis in reality.

When you speak of fungable, you are saying some clinics are cooking the books. Even if that's happening at some clinics, it's not a reason to cut this organization's funding which is a net positive to the entire society.

Quote:Actually, it's the law, I believe... so it's disingenuous of you to wish to close PP because of government funding of abortions, even though it's not happening, not a part of the law, and has no basis in reality.

When you speak of fungable, you are saying some clinics are cooking the books. Even if that's happening at some clinics, it's not a reason to cut this organization's funding which is a net positive to the entire society.

Fungible in this case means that money allocated for one use is thrown in a big pot along with all of PP's other sources of income, and some of that pot is spent on giving black poor women low cost or free abortions.

And if you believe everything the law says is true, you're a lot more naive than I expected.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:2.  You may disagree with abortion.  But let's not get PC here...  Abortion is technically birth control.  Is it the best form, most will obviously say no.  But it is birth control.  Also, while the debate of Abortion is that you are killing a person, it's important to remember that Roe V Wade states that a fetus is not a human, at least not yet.  

So nine (or at least five) old Ivy League lawyers decided that a fetus is not a human. How is that any better than the Dred Scott decision? Are we still at the point where a small elite group decides who is human and who isn't?

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015, 11:55 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:As RJ also pointed out, the federal funds are not (and cannot be) used for the abortions, which is a very small part of their operation.
3-6% I think I've heard. None the less, it is illegal. Put it into an organization who isn't breaking laws by selling baby parts. Just because it isn't a large portion of the funds doesn't make it any less or more despicable. 

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I truthfully and honestly don't understand the lack of outrage over this by the left, and I'm pro choice.

There is a legitimate disagreement about just when a fetus becomes a person. When you are talking about organs, it's no longer just a mass of undifferentiated cells. How is viewing a human life as less than a person any different than the way plantation owners viewed Africans? Because ... well, we know better in this case?

Even if you buy the claim that it is not a person, there is also a reasonable concern that PP has been prioritizing undamaged body parts ahead of the safety of the mother.
Based on what I have seen/heard I do not see reasonable concern.

What I do see is an organization that does STD and cancer screenings among many other things for people of all walks of life. I think the donation of the tissues for medical research at the behest of the mother is a good thing.

No, based on the comments in here I do get the outrage and it's very simple. Either it's because you think abortion is evil or are offended by the clinical manner in which it was talked about. I would wager in the vast majority of cases, the latter is due to the former. 

I still don't get why women who have abortions shouldn't donate the fetal tissue to science.  Isn't it better that something good come out of it, than nothing at all?  I mean it could lead to scientific progress.  It's not going to encourage more abortions unless someone stands to profit (and as far as I can tell, Planned Parenthood is not profiting.  It costs money to store, keep, and transport the fetal tissue.  More than what they're being reimbursed.)  They get the mother's consent (they have forms for it)

I mean is it better they're cremated or thrown in the trash, rather than benefit science?  I mean obviously the pro-lifers want abortion to be illegal entirely.  (Except for some of them for whom it's okay in cases of rape or incest, though for many not even in that case).  But it's legal.  And it's likely going to stay that way.  Isn't it better that at the very least the aborted fetuses be used for scientific progress?

I mean some are like "Well, listen to how callous they're talking!"  That implies that you'd be okay with it if they were talking less callously about it.  In which case, I'm wondering what you're really upset about.  Because how someone talks about something doesn't make it any better or any worse.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I still don't get why women who have abortions shouldn't donate the fetal tissue to science.  Isn't it better that something good come out of it, than nothing at all?  I mean it could lead to scientific progress.  It's not going to encourage more abortions unless someone stands to profit (and as far as I can tell, Planned Parenthood is not profiting.  It costs money to store, keep, and transport the fetal tissue.  More than what they're being reimbursed.)  They get the mother's consent (they have forms for it)

I mean is it better they're cremated or thrown in the trash, rather than benefit science?  I mean obviously the pro-lifers want abortion to be illegal entirely.  (Except for some of them for whom it's okay in cases of rape or incest, though for many not even in that case).  But it's legal.  And it's likely going to stay that way.  Isn't it better that at the very least the aborted fetuses be used for scientific progress?

I mean some are like "Well, listen to how callous they're talking!"  That implies that you'd be okay with it if they were talking less callously about it.  In which case, I'm wondering what you're really upset about.  Because how someone talks about something doesn't make it any better or any worse.
You seemed to have missed the other threads. Disgusting, despicable, callous, etc... 

Quote:Who cares?  If a person does not wish to go through with pregnancy, it's thier prerogative.  What racists think isn't really anything I care to discuss in regards to Abortion and a woman's right to make up her own choices.

I thought you were for freedom and less government in our lives...  
Yikes! Was that out loud!? You don't care that she wanted to exterminate people with the same color as me?

Remind me to never invite you anywhere

Quote:Fungible in this case means that money allocated for one use is thrown in a big pot along with all of PP's other sources of income, and some of that pot is spent on giving black poor women low cost or free abortions.

And if you believe everything the law says is true, you're a lot more naive than I expected.
You guys think you are being cute with the use of strike outs. You repeated use here is starting to make me think it's not about the issue but rather the race of the people you have a problem with. 

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015, 12:46 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:So nine (or at least five) old Ivy League lawyers decided that a fetus is not a human. How is that any better than the Dred Scott decision? Are we still at the point where a small elite group decides who is human and who isn't?
Seriously? Science calls the stages zygote, embryo, and fetus.

During these stages, it cannot live without the mother. It's not a baby. If brought to full term, then it is.

As for dredd Scott, come on, that's a horrible analogy.

Quote:I have seen this video circulated, but I've never seen the unedited version. Also, the LA court is only barring the video until a ruling is issued.

Only 3% of services offered by PP are for abortions, and federal funding cannot be used for those abortions. The move to discontinue federal funding will fail, as it should.

All released videos both edited and non-edited versions including transcripts are available here.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I think what sets off pro-Lifers about the video is the doctor speaks in clinical terms about technical aspects regarding abortions.

I'm pro-Choice, but recognize there is nothing pleasant about abortions. The process cannot be described in flowery terms. However, it appears the video was edited to present a certain point of view, not necessarily to be accurate.
That's all you think it is?  Because they speak in clinical terms about technical aspects of abortion?

Hate to break it to you, RJ, but that's a complete load of garbage. 

It's not the terminology that bothers pro lifers.  It's the practice.  The terminology is irrelevant.  All these videos are really putting on display is how little regard there is for human life in certain circles.  Planning an abortion procedure in such a way so as to avoid damaging tissue that they can harvest and sell is bothersome. 

Sorry, it has nothing to do with the terminology.  It has everything to do with the sanctity of human life, and how little regard that is given in comparison to, say, a lion. 

I think the perfect response to this was given by Ben Carson of all people, and his opinion should carry a tad more gravity than most because of his background.  There shouldn't be any federal dollars being directed to Planned Parenthood regardless of where it's being spent.  Carson was asked his opinion on defunding Planned Parenthood despite the fact that they provide all of these other healthcare services particularly in poorer areas of the country.  His response?  I thought that's what ObamaCare was supposed to do?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:All released videos both edited and non-edited versions including transcripts are available here.
Yeah, even with the edits, what's being exposed here is horrific and barbaric.  Anyone who can stand here and defend this, and carry on saying it's clever editing and nothing more is either blind, or intentionally pleading ignorance on this in order to continue pushing their agenda.  The transcripts of the full context do nothing to diminish the butchery we're talking about.  It just gives the defenders this opportunity to say "Yeah, but they edited the video..." because it's impossible to defend what these animals are saying on camera. 

The video in question that's being prevented from being shown by the courts in California is probably the most damning of the lot because there's indication that one of the medical directors for PP admits that there are fully intact babies that are born, and they're still harvested for tissue samples. 

The 2nd trimester babies that these animals are talking about getting tissue samples from are not just globs of tissue as some here would imply.  These are human lives that are being slaughtered.  Where's the outrage from the left?  Totally non-existent, even when they're seeing the videos and watching them dissect a human being to sell off the parts.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015, 04:19 PM by Shack Del Rio.)

This should help put this charade by the House Republicans into realistic terms.

Quote:But just how much funding does Planned Parenthood receive from the government? In the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2014, Planned Parenthood had $1.3 billion in total revenue. Of that, $528.4 million came from government health services grants and reimbursements. The group says the vast majority of federal dollars it receives comes from Medicaid reimbursements for providing preventative health care.

That's why ending the flow of federal dollars isn't as simple as turning off the spigot. The laws governing Medicaid - the health insurance program for low-income families - prevent states from excluding certain providers solely because of other medical services they provide, like abortions. Those laws also say Medicaid recipients must be allowed to seek treatment from anyone who is qualified to perform the services. This is sometimes called a "freedom of choice" provision.

In other words, the bill introduced by the Senate Republicans Wednesday - if it were to pass - would violate existing federal law and almost certainly face a challenge in court, Susan Fogel, the Director of Reproductive Health for the National Health Law Program, told CBS News.

A few states already know this because they have tried to block Planned Parenthood from receiving federal Medicaid dollars. Indiana passed a law in 2011 that would have prevented Medicare recipients from seeking care at Planned Parenthood clinics across the state. The law was blocked by a U.S. district judge, upheld by a federal appeals court, and then turned down by the Supreme Court for further review.

A Circuit Court panel ultimately rejected the measure to block the funding, holding that the Indiana law violated the right of the patients to get medical care "from the qualified provider of their choice," U.S. District Court Judge Diane Sykes wrote in the ruling.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/can-congress...arenthood/

Quote:Yeah, even with the edits, what's being exposed here is horrific and barbaric.  Anyone who can stand here and defend this, and carry on saying it's clever editing and nothing more is either blind, or intentionally pleading ignorance on this in order to continue pushing their agenda.  The transcripts of the full context do nothing to diminish the butchery we're talking about.  It just gives the defenders this opportunity to say "Yeah, but they edited the video..." because it's impossible to defend what these animals are saying on camera. 

The video in question that's being prevented from being shown by the courts in California is probably the most damning of the lot because there's indication that one of the medical directors for PP admits that there are fully intact babies that are born, and they're still harvested for tissue samples. 

The 2nd trimester babies that these animals are talking about getting tissue samples from are not just globs of tissue as some here would imply.  These are human lives that are being slaughtered.  Where's the outrage from the left?  Totally non-existent, even when they're seeing the videos and watching them dissect a human being to sell off the parts.

To add to that from another angle.  Why is it that the "main stream media" backs away from the story?  Where are are the investigative journalists who usually would dive deeper into such a story?  Rather than report on what is actually happening, they report on the Hillary campaign being un-happy with the NYT for breaking a story regarding her reckless use of email, and the "HUGE" story is about a guy that killed a lion.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:This should help put this charade by the House Republicans into realistic terms.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/can-congress...arenthood/

So it's just a "charade"?  Look at the evidence and justify it.  Calling it a "charade" is just another liberal tactic to attempt to discredit a legitimate problem.  That's what liberals do, attempt to de-legitimize the opposition and if that doesn't work, then attack them personally.

Quote:The 2nd trimester babies that these animals are talking about getting tissue samples from are not just globs of tissue as some here would imply.  These are human lives that are being slaughtered.  Where's the outrage from the left?  Totally non-existent, even when they're seeing the videos and watching them dissect a human being to sell off the parts.
You've just summed up, in a roundabout way, why there is no outrage from some circles, even as others scream bloody murder and start lighting torches for the witch hunt. People have different opinions on what constitutes a "human being". Speaking very generally here and without regard for my own thoughts on abortion, your child is someone else's tumor, and they're just as sure that it's a tumor as you are that it's a child.