Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Beachum

I've said it before. Beachum is just a guy and wasn't even an upgrade over Joeckel. I just hope the Jags are not operating in desperation mode and are weighing all options. The four-year option is an expensive one.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Where are we getting 9th highest paid LT? His 8.5 mil cap hit for 2017 (the bonus he gets no matter what and it's 1 mil per year or all of it now if he's cut I believe) looks like it makes him the 15th highest to me.

I've long stated they would/should just pick up the option. 

The 9th highest paid thing is about being the ninth highest paid LT in base salary in 2017 (but it's actually 10th according to spotrac.)

Because of his guaranteed money - he'd actually make around thirteen million in 2017.

(he's guaranteed his 2017 base and also half of his 2018 base once the option is picked up)

Here's Mike Kaye on the topic:

Quote:If the Jaguars decide to keep him, the option would raise Beachum's base salary from $2.5 million in 2016 to $7.5 million in 2017. Overall, the extended contract would be worth $35 million in base salary over four years, according to salary cap website, Spotrac.com.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Beachum would be making less than the likes of Trent Williams ($11.25 million), Tyron Smith ($10 million), Jason Peters ($9.95 million) and Duane Brown ($9.65 million) in base salary.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">However, Beachum would be making the ninth-highest left tackle salary in the league next year if the market stays in similar shape.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">You may be asking "Why pay Top 10 money for a Top 70 tackle?" That's fair, but consider the ramifications of letting Beachum walk.

He should have said "tenth" if he's talking strictly base salary. 

Quote:I've said it before. Beachum is just a guy and wasn't even an upgrade over Joeckel. I just hope the Jags are not operating in desperation mode and are weighing all options. The four-year option is an expensive one.

Even if that is the case, who replaces him?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I've said it before. Beachum is just a guy and wasn't even an upgrade over Joeckel. I just hope the Jags are not operating in desperation mode and are weighing all options. The four-year option is an expensive one.

I know Beachum isn't ideal, but he was a huge upgrade from Joeckel, who was a human turnstile. Would I like to have a young star at LT, yes, but you can't have a star at every position. Sometimes you gotta take a player that stabilizes a position and move on. Beachum made the LT spot solid enough that is isn't a huge need. Obviously, Linder is our best O-Lineman and we are good enough with Beachum at LT and Cann at OG. We have much bigger needs at the other OG position and RT. Those two spots should be addressed immediately. 

Quote:Even if that is the case, who replaces him?

There's no better LT's in free agency, so we'd have to likely spend the #4 overall pick on Ryan Ramczyk. Ramczyk, Garrett Bolles, Cam Robinson and possibly Roderick Johnson are the only LT's in the draft who I believe could start from day one and not be terrible. I believe they will all be gone by our 2nd round selection. 

Quote:Even if that is the case, who replaces him?
I don't know which is why I mention desperation. If he'll stay for less, consider it. Beyond that it is a very good question.

Quote:I don't know which is why I mention desperation. If he'll stay for less, consider it. Beyond that it is a very good question.

What's worse, overpaying a decent player as not to create a need at LT or letting him go and creating a huge need at arguably the 2nd most important position on the offense with no real contenders as a replacement? I'd rather overpay. 

Quote:I don't know which is why I mention desperation. If he'll stay for less, consider it. Beyond that it is a very good question.

Considering money isn't an issue for next year, there's no reason not to keep him. You'll at least have insurance for next year. That's a huge gamble not to spend the money for at least a year
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:What's worse, overpaying a decent player as not to create a need at LT or letting him go and creating a huge need at arguably the 2nd most important position on the offense with no real contenders as a replacement? I'd rather overpay.

Exactly
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I know Beachum isn't ideal, but he was a huge upgrade from Joeckel, who was a human turnstile. Would I like to have a young star at LT, yes, but you can't have a star at every position. Sometimes you gotta take a player that stabilizes a position and move on. Beachum made the LT spot solid enough that is isn't a huge need. Obviously, Linder is our best O-Lineman and we are good enough with Beachum at LT and Cann at OG. We have much bigger needs at the other OG position and RT. Those two spots should be addressed immediately. 
I don't necessarily agree. Joeckel gets beat up around here because of his draft position, but statistically he and Beachum are nearly identical. I'm not saying Joeckel should move back to LT, but there needs to be improvement and it isn't on the roster. In my opinion, the only lineman not expendable is Linder. If you pay attention to Cann he has not played well. You can even see where it has made the right side and Parnell's play drop way off. I may be a minority here, but Joeckel was a strength at LG until his injury. Bring him back for the G position on the cheap. Either way, It is going to take a magic trick to get this line beyond mediocre.

Quote:Considering money isn't an issue for next year, there's no reason not to keep him. You'll at least have insurance for next year. That's a huge gamble not to spend the money for at least a year
I see the point and it may be a matter of taking the less risky direction as you suggest. Would be nice to have a better alternative fall to the Jags. Just don't see it in the draft or FA.

Quote:I don't necessarily agree. Joeckel gets beat up around here because of his draft position, but statistically he and Beachum are nearly identical. I'm not saying Joeckel should move back to LT, but there needs to be improvement and it isn't on the roster. In my opinion, the only lineman not expendable is Linder. If you pay attention to Cann he has not played well. You can even see where it has made the right side and Parnell's play drop way off. I may be a minority here, but Joeckel was a strength at LG until his injury. Bring him back for the G position on the cheap. Either way, It is going to take a magic trick to get this line beyond mediocre.

A.J. Cann played LG in college and looks much more comfortable on that side. He should move to LG and then we should draft a RG. Why he was moved to RG to begin with is a mystery to me. You are definitely in the minority when it comes to Joeckel's play. My opinion has nothing to do with his draft position and everything to do with what I've seen from him on the field. He is a sub par pass protector and an incompetent run blocker. We could bring him back cheaply as a backup, but I want him nowhere near the starting lineup. 

Quote:I don't necessarily agree. Joeckel gets beat up around here because of his draft position, but statistically he and Beachum are nearly identical. I'm not saying Joeckel should move back to LT, but there needs to be improvement and it isn't on the roster. In my opinion, the only lineman not expendable is Linder. If you pay attention to Cann he has not played well. You can even see where it has made the right side and Parnell's play drop way off. I may be a minority here, but Joeckel was a strength at LG until his injury. Bring him back for the G position on the cheap. Either way, It is going to take a magic trick to get this line beyond mediocre.

The first time our running backs had big holes to run through was when Luke Joeckel tore his knee up.

Quote:A.J. Cann played LG in college and looks much more comfortable on that side. He should move to LG and then we should draft a RG. Why he was moved to RG to begin with is a mystery to me. You are definitely in the minority when it comes to Joeckel's play. My opinion has nothing to do with his draft position and everything to do with what I've seen from him on the field. He is a sub par pass protector and an incompetent run blocker. We could bring him back cheaply as a backup, but I want him nowhere near the starting lineup. 

If we moved A.J. Cann to LG I would immediately be on board with signing T.J. Lang in free agency. But we would still have to draft a guard for backup duty.

Even as a backup Luke Joeckel would be useless. He was injured in October and knee ligament tears can take over 12 months to come back from.

Quote:A.J. Cann played LG in college and looks much more comfortable on that side. He should move to LG and then we should draft a RG. Why he was moved to RG to begin with is a mystery to me. You are definitely in the minority when it comes to Joeckel's play. My opinion has nothing to do with his draft position and everything to do with what I've seen from him on the field. He is a sub par pass protector and an incompetent run blocker. We could bring him back cheaply as a backup, but I want him nowhere near the starting lineup. 

Cann started at RG his rookie year because Linder was healthy and dominating at LG. (wisniewski at C I think) 

EDIT:  They had Beadles and Linder was still hurt

The difference between Joeckel and Beachum is more marginal than you believe IMO.   Beachum is a better pass protector by a good measure but it's almost a wash in the run game between them really. 

Take away Joeckel's total meltdown against the tinhorns and the difference between them is even more slight.  

Nonetheless - I trust Beachum will get a bit better being more removed from his knee injury and I hope they just take the option.  Draft a project tackle late this year and take one early in 2018 if need be. 

Quote:Cann started at RG his rookie year because Linder was healthy and dominating at LG. (wisniewski at C I think)
EDIT: They had Beadles and Linder was still hurt

The difference between Joeckel and Beachum is more marginal than you believe IMO. Beachum is a better pass protector by a good measure but it's almost a wash in the run game between them really.

Take away Joeckel's total meltdown against the tinhorns and the difference between them is even more slight.

Nonetheless - I trust Beachum will get a bit better being more removed from his knee injury and I hope they just take the option. Draft a project tackle late this year and take one early in 2018 if need be.
Linder played RG and Beadles was the starter at LG Canns rookie year. Can started later in the season and played much better as a rookie than he did last year

Quote:The first time our running backs had big holes to run through was when Luke Joeckel tore his knee up.
You would be wrong.

Cann looked good at LT in training camp also. He is what he is. Take this how you will, but you watched with a bias. The two are near identical. Beachum is decent at pass pro and stinks at run blocking, whereas Joeckel excels at run blocking and is limited in pass pro. I wouldn't mind him starting LG on the cheap. We'll agree to disagree.

Quote:Linder played RG and Beadles was the starter at LG Canns rookie year. Can started later in the season and played much better as a rookie than he did last year
Thank you.  

Knew I was mixing that up a bit.

And yes, he looked good as a rookie at RG.

Still have time. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags