Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gold Cup

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015, 07:40 AM by Vicbow Rules.)

Anyone watching? Am i the only one who thinks Altidore stinks? I am really enjoying it so far.

Edit: Just saw Altidore has been injured, so, that makes sense.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've been watching some of it. I saw both US matches so far and some of the Mexico vs Cuba.

US has already clinched their group by winning both matches. However, I'm not very impressed by their passing and possessions. They give the ball away needlessly a bunch of times during a match. They've looked very sloppy. Personally, I was surprised they didn't get beat by Haiti. Haiti's counter attack was really giving the US a big problem. They just couldn't capitalize on some good chances.

The US set pieces look pretty good though.

I'm not sold on Altidore either. I'm glad Johannsen is getting in the game. He's really good.

Quote:Anyone watching? Am i the only one who thinks Altidore stinks? I am really enjoying it so far.

Watching every second here. I tweeted at halftime that they needed to take Jozy out. He looked absolutely terrible. He passed up an open shot for a lousy shot. A couple times he tried to dribble way to much in the box that resulted in just turning it over.

I was so happy they made the switch. I have been a big fan of Jozy's, but I am slowly starting to turn. His play has to improve, a lot, because he's got quite a bit of talent, younger at that that'll put him on the back burner before to long.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Anyone watching? Am i the only one who thinks Altidore stinks? I am really enjoying it so far.

He sucks even when he's healthy.

Quote:He sucks even when he's healthy.
He is hit or miss. He has been flat out awesome at times, and just plain awful others. Not a lot of middle ground. 

;

They've been more fun to watch in the Gold Cup.  I think Altidore is good in open space, but when you put a bunch of traffic around him he just isn't quick enough. 

The one major difference between the men and women is the amount of falls they take.  While the women take them occasionally, the men really overdo it.  Maybe that's what you have to do to get calls in the mens game, but it still makes for an ugly game to watch.

And Jozy has been sent home and won't be on the 23 man roster for the knockout round.

Quote:They've been more fun to watch in the Gold Cup.  I think Altidore is good in open space, but when you put a bunch of traffic around him he just isn't quick enough. 

The one major difference between the men and women is the amount of falls they take.  While the women take them occasionally, the men really overdo it.  Maybe that's what you have to do to get calls in the mens game, but it still makes for an ugly game to watch.
He has no ball skills to create one on one or in space. Anyone can be good in space, being able to create, one on one, or facilitate the ball to someone else takes skill. 

;

Quote:And Jozy has been sent home and won't be on the 23 man roster for the knockout round.
I know they had 24 hours to make that decision, and I agree with it. I was kind of hoping Jordan Morris would get called up. He's been really, really good in his short time with the team. He has consistently helped produce.

The USMNT have played like crap and still won the group. The tournament starts now.

;

Quote:They've been more fun to watch in the Gold Cup.  I think Altidore is good in open space, but when you put a bunch of traffic around him he just isn't quick enough. 

Ive found the diving or "simulation" is more common is spanish, south american, and Italian football... Watch the bundesliga or premier league and it isnt as bad... There is alot more differences between womens and mens than diving too.. The speed of the game and the level of passing is much faster in primer level mens soccer... The quality of possession, one touches and give and goes are much more elaborate in mens leagues... I used to hate him, but cesc fabregas is sensational to watch with one touches... Him and eden hazard are amazing to watch... There is also alot more playing the ball back in mens soccer... The uswnt loves them some through balls and long bombs up the pitch and you rarly see them moving the ball all the way back to the keep... Watch chelsea play and you will see the ball travel the legth of the pitch,up and back, 4-5 times a possession.

As for altidore, he never lived up to the player i thought he was going to be when he was 18-21.

Quote:The USMNT have played like crap and still won the group. The tournament starts now.

I agree. They have looked very sloppy, IMO. They miss alot of pass attempts, giving the ball away needlessly. The defending has also not looked very good to me, for the most part. The goalie (Guzan?) has been pretty good though.

They'll be seriously lucky to make it to the Final playing the same way they've looked in the first 3. Costa Rica and Mexico would surely take them down,, if the US even advance that far.

They better pick it up.

Quote:I agree. They have looked very sloppy, IMO. They miss alot of pass attempts, giving the ball away needlessly. The defending has also not looked very good to me, for the most part. The goalie (Guzan?) has been pretty good though.

They'll be seriously lucky to make it to the Final playing the same way they've looked in the first 3. Costa Rica and Mexico would surely take them down,, if the US even advance that far.

They better pick it up.
Guzan and Fabian Johnson have been the only thing defensively that has played well, and luckily they have played extremely well. I think calling up Beasley was a good call. He should help stabilize that back line a bit more.

;

Quote:Guzan and Fabian Johnson have been the only thing defensively that has played well, and luckily they have played extremely well. I think calling up Beasley was a good call. He should help stabilize that back line a bit more.
beasly is a striker i thought... but it's kind of funny to see the guys who were supposed to be something special flop pretty hard when they should be hitting their prime... omar gonzales, jozy alitidore, micheal bradley are a few names that come to mind... omar should have been one of our top defenders for the world cup campaign, he looked great for the LA galaxy so it was kinda weird to see him barley get playing time along the back 4 for the USMNT... micheal bradley has been the most disapointing for me, i felt like him and alitdore were supposed to be our next dempsey and donavan but that hasnt really panned out at all.

Quote:beasly is a striker i thought... but it's kind of funny to see the guys who were supposed to be something special flop pretty hard when they should be hitting their prime... omar gonzales, jozy alitidore, micheal bradley are a few names that come to mind... omar should have been one of our top defenders for the world cup campaign, he looked great for the LA galaxy so it was kinda weird to see him barley get playing time along the back 4 for the USMNT... micheal bradley has been the most disapointing for me, i felt like him and alitdore were supposed to be our next dempsey and donavan but that hasnt really panned out at all.
Nope, Beasley is a defender. 

Bradley is one of the best on the team. He really helps run that midfield for the team.

;

Quote:Nope, Beasley is a defender. 

Bradley is one of the best on the team. He really helps run that midfield for the team.

Sometimes I feel like the team tries to hard to get him involved.  I don't know if that is by design, but it seems like they will be moving the ball down the field quite easily and efficiently and suddenly, instead of attacking, they will stop and drop it to Bradley 25 yds back when he is surrounded by the pursuing defenders.  

He certainly is a workhorse though, he is all over the field.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM by jagherd.)

Beasley got called up,,, you mean DeMarcus Beasley? That's cool if it's Demarcus.

As for Bradley, sometimes I think he looks great, other times he looks awful IMO. Sometimes he really makes a great long pass or set piece/free kick. Other times, he gives the ball away, is out of position, and gets beat easily.

He didn't look good at all during the World Cup. You could really see the difference in talent between him and other top players from around the world at his position.

This year, he looked pretty good vs Germany in the friendly, and has looked pretty good at the Gold Cup. He's made some great passes and free kicks. He really needs to be much more consistent with his good play if the US wants to seriously contend with the top 6-8 nations in the big tourneys.

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2015, 03:28 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Beasley got called up,,, you mean DeMarcus Beasley? That's cool if it's Demarcus.

As for Bradley, sometimes I think he looks great, other times he looks awful IMO. Sometimes he really makes a great long pass or set piece/free kick. Other times, he gives the ball away, is out of position, and gets beat easily.

He didn't look good at all during the World Cup. You could really see the difference in talent between him and other top players from around the world at his position.

This year, he looked pretty good vs Germany in the friendly, and has looked pretty good at the Gold Cup. He's made some great passes and free kicks. He really needs to be much more consistent with his good play if the US wants to seriously contend with the top 6-8 nations in the big tourneys.
DaMarcus.

I can't even think of another potential Beasley who'd even be called up....?

;

Quote:DaMarcus.

I can't even think of another potential Beasley who'd even be called up....?

Thx. I wasn't sure if there was another Beasley. I'm not all too familiar with a bunch of players that may be possibly called up. I only know the "regular" guys that I see on the match day rosters mostly.

Anyway, I hope his experience helps solidify some of the defensive play.

USA-Cuba July 18 in the quarters.

Oh, and keep it classy Mexico. Unbelievable that their fans would throw trash and stuff like that. I would say because it was because of the game, but then I checked my watch, it's Wednesday. 

;

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015, 01:48 AM by JagsorDie.)

Demarcus beasley is older... That isnt who i thought it was, i was talking about this kid who was a young striker i thought had the last name beasley, i feel like i watched something on him before the concaf cup a few years ago... He was a black kid with blonde hair and seemed like he was was about to make the NT but then i didnt see much from him... I guess his name wasnt beasley.

EDIT: i think it may have been gyasi zardes , but im not sure how the hell i got beasley out of that lol