Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coughlin's Stamp

Quote:In that case, fingers crossed that Blake argues.

I guess when people like you act so childish it's hard to take you seriously.
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:In that case, fingers crossed that Blake argues.

I agree

discipline and real accountability... it starts with the little things. The man has two super bowl rings and knows what he's doing. The best teams we ever had at J'ville were under TC as head coach.

I think he deserves some respect.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2017, 01:03 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:Sure, but I highly doubt a shred of credit to his failure then or success now goes to standing in perfectly straight lines and putting helmets in rows. 

Same with Coughlin, whether this portion of his tenure works out will have very little if nothing to do with not wearing hats at certain times or wearing slacks at other times. 

It's the sloppy, non-detail oriented football organizations that succeed.

Oh, wait...

Only youth and inexperience would argue opposite.

But, such is life.  Some never figure it out.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2017, 01:46 PM by Achilles.)

Quote:It's the sloppy, non-detail oriented football organizations that succeed.

Oh, wait...

Only youth and inexperience would argue opposite.

But, such is life. Some never figure it out.
Yeah if that's the attitude of the fan base, might as well bring back Gus.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I like it maybe its my military background. But little things like this matter

Quote:I haven't seen anyone talking about this yet, its an article I found on Reddit. Here's a quote for you disciplinarian lovers out there: "*Coughlin’s imprint on the Jaguars is already evident behind the scenes. Per multiple sources, nobody can wear a hat inside the team’s offices (including players) and staff members are required to wear slacks instead of shorts. Also, the coaches are on a six-days-a-week work schedule (Monday-Saturday) for most of the off-season instead of the usual five days."

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-02-10/nfljaguars-insider-prince-amukamara-part-cornerback-free-agent-market-again'>http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-02-10/nfljaguars-insider-prince-amukamara-part-cornerback-free-agent-market-again</a>

So what do you think? Much needed improvement, or too much soup nazi?

Edit: It's gonna be really interesting seeing how Bortles reacts to the no hat thing. These guys are gonna be wishing they didn't get Gus canned.

Listen. If you're in that building and primarily apart of that staff and organization. You're more than likely making enough money under a few years on contract that most people would be lucky to sniff in their entire existence. It's not any different than most corporate or professional fields of work. I am not allowed to wear hats and shorts to my place of work either. Not even on casual Friday.  :no:

Coughling wants this team to be professional and act professional. And something as small as this can go a long way and it does set the tone and expectations. He wants professionals in that building. And they need to be dressed professionally. He doesn't want them dressed up like they're going out for drinks during amateur hour. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Listen. If you're in that building and primarily apart of that staff and organization. You're more than likely making enough money under a few years on contract that most people would be lucky to sniff in their entire existence. It's not any different than most corporate or professional fields of work. I am not allowed to wear hats and shorts to my place of work either. Not even on casual Friday.

Coughling wants this team to be professional and act professional. And something as small as this can go a long way and it does set the tone and expectations. He wants professionals in that building. And they need to be dressed professionally. He doesn't want them dressed up like they're going out for drinks during amateur hour. 

Correct. I worked at a job were collars were required, even though I made no contact with the customers, and was sent home to change clothes once. We are talking about millionaires here. If you are rich, you do not look sloppy at work. It is a professional environment.

Quote:Correct. I worked at a job were collars were required, even though I made no contact with the customers, and was sent home to change clothes once. We are talking about millionaires here. If you are rich, you do not look sloppy at work. It is a professional environment.

Were ya a police dog or sumfin?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Seems like the Head Coach should be making the rules for the players...but that's just me.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:Seems like the Head Coach should be making the rules for the players...but that's just me.

This is a pretty good point, and it is way to early to tell, but having two head coaches on the same staff does leave the possibility of a power struggle if things don't get of to a good start when the Jaguars season begins. 

Quote:This is a pretty good point, and it is way to early to tell, but having two head coaches on the same staff does leave the possibility of a power struggle if things don't get of to a good start when the Jaguars season begins. 

It is not a power struggle if one former HC is the other guy's supervisor.

I got no problem with it. It was going to happen whether the HC directed it or the VP directed it. From what we've heard, they are from the same mold and we can expect to see a lot of hard-nosed approaches reported in the next few months. Heck, I expect to start hearing players voice some discomfort. Bring it! Time to earn that paycheck, not see who can get to the smoothie bar or ping pong table first!

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Quote:I haven't seen anyone talking about this yet, its an article I found on Reddit. Here's a quote for you disciplinarian lovers out there: "*Coughlin’s imprint on the Jaguars is already evident behind the scenes. Per multiple sources, nobody can wear a hat inside the team’s offices (including players) and staff members are required to wear slacks instead of shorts. Also, the coaches are on a six-days-a-week work schedule (Monday-Saturday) for most of the off-season instead of the usual five days."

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-02-10/nfljaguars-insider-prince-amukamara-part-cornerback-free-agent-market-again'>http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-02-10/nfljaguars-insider-prince-amukamara-part-cornerback-free-agent-market-again</a>

So what do you think? Much needed improvement, or too much soup nazi?

Edit: It's gonna be really interesting seeing how Bortles reacts to the no hat thing. These guys are gonna be wishing they didn't get Gus canned.
Quote:The no-hat no shorts rule seems dumb as [BAD WORD REMOVED] if true. I get its to send a message and all but in reality its just rules for the sake of rules.

Perhaps it's to establish a culture of professionalism?  For coaches, when they do business in the office they should dress for the office, and when they have to do business on the practice field, then they can wear shorts.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:It is not a power struggle if one former HC is the other guy's supervisor.

I've certainly seen a GM and a HC's disagreement tear up a team before, even though the GM is the HC's boss.  I think the fact that Coughlin is a former head coach makes this possibility more likely, particularly when a disagreement over the draft, FA, and the current starters on the team can rear it's head.  Again it's way to early to tell, I am just acknowledging the possibility.

Quote:Perhaps it's to establish a culture of professionalism?  For coaches, when they do business in the office they should dress for the office, and when they have to do business on the practice field, then they can wear shorts.
I thought it was a rule saying no shorts and hats in the building but was wrong. 

Quote:I've certainly seen a GM and a HC's disagreement tear up a team before, even though the GM is the HC's boss.  I think the fact that Coughlin is a former head coach makes this possibility more likely, particularly when a disagreement over the draft, FA, and the current starters on the team can rear it's head.  Again it's way to early to tell, I am just acknowledging the possibility.

Longtime Jags fans know that Coughlin can get a bit "dictator-ish" and many of us have already expressed concerns about the degree to which he may (or may not) try to control all aspects. 

So - you're probably correct to have some concern. However - all indications at the moment seem to point to Marrone being of very similar philosophy to Coughlin and Caldwell being very respectful of his personnel input.  

We'll see what's up when the rubber starts hitting the road in the next two months as they make FA decisions and prepare to draft. 

Quote:Could our uniforms return the jet black. or white and teal?  Or just Teal?

So we stop looking like the steelers.  Bring back the Teal!
We don't look like the Steelers.

If we look like anyone, it's the Saints.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:We don't look like the Steelers.

If we look like anyone, it's the Saints.
Especially when they wear black and white. 

[Image: saints.jpg]

[Image: Blake-Bortles.jpg]

It'll build them young men's character! Been playing football since 5 still jumping offsides. Discipline!!!!