Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
YOU are the GM! Fix the team!

(01-18-2024, 11:50 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 10:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Mock draft tracker from jaguars.com. My apologies if this has been posted previously.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/mock-draft-...s-at-no-17

Until free agency decisions are made, there's no way we can accurately predict the draft. However, as things stand now, my thoughts on these mocks are:

1. Extremely unlikely Nabers and Odunze will be available. Can't say I'd totally rule either out in the unlikelihood one drops, especially if Ridley departs. At this time, I'd prefer waiting until round 2 for Ridley's replacement due to the high quality depth at this position. Leggett would even be an option in round 2 depending on how he does at the combine and Senior Bowl.

2. Fuaga and Fautanu were selected 3 times each. Right now, one of these would be my pick. Both can play either guard or tackle and excel at run-blocking.

3. Jer'Zhan Newton is definitely intriguing if he drops to 17. He would provide the inside pass rush needed by the Jaguars. 

4. None of the other names excite me right now. Sweat and Coleman would be big reaches at 17.

Yep. In agreement all the way with this. I am still leaning towards WR / OT/OG there early but it's unlikely Nabers is there, his teammate, Thomas Jr. should be there though. Odunze would be ideal. I would be surprised if he slips out of the top 15. Nabers is a top 10 receiver. 

Fuaga is probably the most logical and probable prospect to be there. He fits a lot of areas of concern. Newton would honestly be a steal for me there at 17. I think he's that good of a player as well. He would be an instant plug and play upgrade that we also need severely on defense. 

That's why in this thread I went the other route with my mock. Similar to yours. I want the offensive line addressed first while targeting and double dipping in other areas of need. I walked out of my mock with three offensive lineman, two defensive tackles, two edge rushers and two receivers. 

A lot though, like you said, it's hard to predict for sure until they get into free agency. You just never know. They might goof up Josh Allen, they might goof up Calvin Ridley, they might make some obvious cuts to us and then some not so obvious cuts to us. They might think they already have some of their areas of need addressed based on what Baalke did with last year's class and the previous year's class. 

This is why I try to cover my basis and double dip at these areas of need. In hopes of at least knocking one of them out of the park. I don't think it hurts. Especially when you clearly see that your starters are lacking in quality and when they were injured your depth behind them was also lacking in quality. 

Baalke does do a better job in drafting defensive players and he's had more luck in finding and signing proven players offensively. It might be a little too unrealistic with some of our opinions. He might very well go CB with the 17th overall pick. He might very well go EDGE, even if some of these guys listed above are sitting pretty on his draft board.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-17-2024, 01:56 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: We need cap space.

So goodbye to Scherff, Cam Robinson, Darious Williams and Rayshawn Jenkins. 

Then we need to fix both lines. Draft OL and DL + CB

I would re-sign Allen, McManus, Ridley, D'Ernest and Smoot.

We should have enough money to bring one big name on the DT free agents list and Kyle Dugger or Geno Stone to replace Jenkins

This right here for the most part. The only thing I have to disagree with here is re-signing Calvin Ridley. By doing that, the team loses a 2nd round pick. I value the 2nd rounder over a near 30 WR who has had up and down moments.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2024, 12:18 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-18-2024, 12:10 PM)Jagulars Wrote:

We should have enough money to bring one big name on the DT free agents list and Kyle Dugger or Geno Stone to replace Jenkins

This right here for the most part. The only thing I have to disagree with here is re-signing Calvin Ridley. By doing that, the team loses a 2nd round pick. I value the 2nd rounder over a near 30 WR who has had up and down moments.

They only lose that 2nd RD pick if they sign him prior to the new NFL calendar year. The new year starts when free agency starts which is March 6th or 13th I believe. Once Free Agency starts, they can technically tag him, only forfeit the 3rd RD pick to Atlanta, and then work a deal out with him to get his cap hit lower. 

Which is probably what they'll do. Again, the odds of Baalke finding a WR that gives you what Ridley gave you in 2023 is slim to none. I can see them being more than comfortable losing their base 3rd RD pick to keep Ridley around and they'll still have the other 3rd RD pick from the JaWaan Taylor signing with the Chiefs as a compensatory selection.

Essentially it's a wash. But, I would imagine they have these goals in mind:

1. Lock up Josh Allen on a 5 - 6 year deal, probably close to over $120M+ in overall value.
2. Tag Ridley, get him signed up for a 2 - 3 year deal with incentives to get his tagged WR cap hit figure down before the draft.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-16-2024, 09:12 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 09:10 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: 32 - 20 = 12.

Bottom 12.

20th and 28th same crapshoot.

Stats are irrelavant both OLs for both teams played better than stats suggest. 

They would of been a top line if they had better QBs under center.

This may be one of the strangest, most idiotic takes I've ever heard on this board. And that's saying something.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-18-2024, 12:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 11:50 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Until free agency decisions are made, there's no way we can accurately predict the draft. However, as things stand now, my thoughts on these mocks are:

1. Extremely unlikely Nabers and Odunze will be available. Can't say I'd totally rule either out in the unlikelihood one drops, especially if Ridley departs. At this time, I'd prefer waiting until round 2 for Ridley's replacement due to the high quality depth at this position. Leggett would even be an option in round 2 depending on how he does at the combine and Senior Bowl.

2. Fuaga and Fautanu were selected 3 times each. Right now, one of these would be my pick. Both can play either guard or tackle and excel at run-blocking.

3. Jer'Zhan Newton is definitely intriguing if he drops to 17. He would provide the inside pass rush needed by the Jaguars. 

4. None of the other names excite me right now. Sweat and Coleman would be big reaches at 17.

Yep. In agreement all the way with this. I am still leaning towards WR / OT/OG there early but it's unlikely Nabers is there, his teammate, Thomas Jr. should be there though. Odunze would be ideal. I would be surprised if he slips out of the top 15. Nabers is a top 10 receiver. 

Fuaga is probably the most logical and probable prospect to be there. He fits a lot of areas of concern. Newton would honestly be a steal for me there at 17. I think he's that good of a player as well. He would be an instant plug and play upgrade that we also need severely on defense. 

That's why in this thread I went the other route with my mock. Similar to yours. I want the offensive line addressed first while targeting and double dipping in other areas of need. I walked out of my mock with three offensive lineman, two defensive tackles, two edge rushers and two receivers. 

A lot though, like you said, it's hard to predict for sure until they get into free agency. You just never know. They might goof up Josh Allen, they might goof up Calvin Ridley, they might make some obvious cuts to us and then some not so obvious cuts to us. They might think they already have some of their areas of need addressed based on what Baalke did with last year's class and the previous year's class. 

This is why I try to cover my basis and double dip at these areas of need. In hopes of at least knocking one of them out of the park. I don't think it hurts. Especially when you clearly see that your starters are lacking in quality and when they were injured your depth behind them was also lacking in quality. 

Baalke does do a better job in drafting defensive players and he's had more luck in finding and signing proven players offensively. It might be a little too unrealistic with some of our opinions. He might very well go CB with the 17th overall pick. He might very well go EDGE, even if some of these guys listed above are sitting pretty on his draft board.
Yea, at this point it is safe to say that not many on the Board would complain if the first 2 picks were Fuaga and Parker-Johnson- regardless of what position they play on the line in their rookie year. It's asking a lot of Parker-Johnson to start at center as a rookie after playing just one year as a starter in college; that's why one of the free agent centers would be preferable.

While none of us know how things will look following the draft, there is one thing I am sure of. If Baalke doesn't find a replacement for Luke Fortner, things for this team will only get worse. While I don't like to single out just one player for the team's regression (many contributed some to the 2nd half collapse), Fortner clearly stands out among this group. Sadly, Baalke's track record does not convince me that he will actually replace the weakest link on a terrible offensive line.

(01-18-2024, 12:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 12:10 PM)Jagulars Wrote: This right here for the most part. The only thing I have to disagree with here is re-signing Calvin Ridley. By doing that, the team loses a 2nd round pick. I value the 2nd rounder over a near 30 WR who has had up and down moments.

They only lose that 2nd RD pick if they sign him prior to the new NFL calendar year. The new year starts when free agency starts which is March 6th or 13th I believe. Once Free Agency starts, they can technically tag him, only forfeit the 3rd RD pick to Atlanta, and then work a deal out with him to get his cap hit lower. 

Which is probably what they'll do. Again, the odds of Baalke finding a WR that gives you what Ridley gave you in 2023 is slim to none. I can see them being more than comfortable losing their base 3rd RD pick to keep Ridley around and they'll still have the other 3rd RD pick from the JaWaan Taylor signing with the Chiefs as a compensatory selection.

Essentially it's a wash. But, I would imagine they have these goals in mind:

1. Lock up Josh Allen on a 5 - 6 year deal, probably close to over $120M+ in overall value.
2. Tag Ridley, get him signed up for a 2 - 3 year deal with incentives to get his tagged WR cap hit figure down before the draft.

Ah. Was off on that. Thanks for clearing that up. 2nd stays for certain.

Except because Jaguars we'll have to tag Josh Allen I bet.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2024, 03:38 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-19-2024, 02:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Gene Frenette: Jaguars' owner Shad Khan should view the 2024 season as a crossroad for franchise

Heard it at the beginning of the year and echoed it around here shortly afterwards. 2024's off season is the most import off season this franchise has probably ever had since it's inception. Time to act was this year. Gambling with Baalke for yet another off season along with Pederson could be the biggest boom or bust scenario we've ever witnessed as a fanbase.

If they stall out again? Going to be tough to answer for all of that but it will in fact fall on Khan's shoulders for being complacent once again and refusing to learn from some of his biggest mistakes. Refusing to just go with a full on, clean sweep from filth, stink and that stench of losing is frustrating to endure sometimes.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2024, 04:02 PM by Newton.)

After some thought and reflection, I would do the following:

Resign Allen.
Bite the bullet and sign Lawrence (hopefully with a little discount)
Let Ridley walk (too many critical drops)
Bulk up offensive and defensive lines with the draft and free agency.

(01-18-2024, 12:10 PM)Jagulars Wrote:

I am officially in agreement with you. Ridley never came up in the clutch this year. He isn’t worth giving up a second rounder and a big part of the cap at this point.

(01-18-2024, 12:49 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 09:12 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: 20th and 28th same crapshoot.

Stats are irrelavant both OLs for both teams played better than stats suggest. 

They would of been a top line if they had better QBs under center.

This may be one of the strangest, most idiotic takes I've ever heard on this board. And that's saying something.
Oh yeah, would you like to explain yourself?

(01-19-2024, 07:25 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 12:49 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: This may be one of the strangest, most idiotic takes I've ever heard on this board. And that's saying something.
Oh yeah, would you like to explain yourself?

Man, if only we had a QB to make the offensive line look better.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2024, 12:01 AM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-19-2024, 11:45 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-19-2024, 07:25 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: Oh yeah, would you like to explain yourself?

Man, if only we had a QB to make the offensive line look better.

Bro it's quite simple really, didn't you know? Lawrence just needs to block better, catch better, cover better, tackle better, call plays better, run better and throw better. It's really not that hard.

Hell why stop there? He also needs to scout better, draft better, motivate better, do high kicks better, cheerlead better, fetch the water better and pick up the equipment better. Pretty simple really.

(01-19-2024, 04:00 PM)Newton Wrote: After some thought and reflection, I would do the following:

Resign Allen.

(01-18-2024, 12:10 PM)Jagulars Wrote: This right here for the most part. The only thing I have to disagree with here is re-signing Calvin Ridley. By doing that, the team loses a 2nd round pick. I value the 2nd rounder over a near 30 WR who has had up and down moments.

I am officially in agreement with you. Ridley never came up in the clutch this year. He isn’t worth giving up a second rounder and a big part of the cap at this point.

Pretty sure we lose a 3rd if we dont keep him, id rather pay a 2nd and keepem to flat out lose a 3rd for nothing. For all his faults he still had 1,000 yards and if we are assuming trevor was completely hindered by the OL, then what would ridley do when he has time? He got to 1k in a poor year for us passing wise.. safe to assume he will only be better this year.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2024, 02:16 AM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-20-2024, 01:18 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-19-2024, 04:00 PM)Newton Wrote: After some thought and reflection, I would do the following:

Resign Allen.

Pretty sure we lose a 3rd if we dont keep him, id rather pay a 2nd and keepem to flat out lose a 3rd for nothing. For all his faults he still had 1,000 yards and if we are assuming trevor was completely hindered by the OL, then what would ridley do when he has time? He got to 1k in a poor year for us passing wise.. safe to assume he will only be better this year.

A 3rd is gone regardless for Ridley.

It only goes up to the 2nd if they sign him to a deal before the new league year starts (like early to mid March?).

Tag him and it stays a 3rd. Re-sign after the new league year starts and it stays a 3rd etc etc.

Ridley is the perfect Non-Exclusive Tag candidate. Locks him into 1 year at the least (at like $17m), but gives him the ability to test out FA. We can match any offer he gets, or we get two 1st round picks if he signs else where.

Doesn’t that mean we need to lock Josh Allen up first?

(01-18-2024, 01:45 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 12:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Yep. In agreement all the way with this. I am still leaning towards WR / OT/OG there early but it's unlikely Nabers is there, his teammate, Thomas Jr. should be there though. Odunze would be ideal. I would be surprised if he slips out of the top 15. Nabers is a top 10 receiver. 

Yea, at this point it is safe to say that not many on the Board would complain if the first 2 picks were Fuaga and Parker-Johnson- regardless of what position they play on the line in their rookie year. It's asking a lot of Parker-Johnson to start at center as a rookie after playing just one year as a starter in college; that's why one of the free agent centers would be preferable.

While none of us know how things will look following the draft, there is one thing I am sure of. If Baalke doesn't find a replacement for Luke Fortner, things for this team will only get worse. While I don't like to single out just one player for the team's regression (many contributed some to the 2nd half collapse), Fortner clearly stands out among this group. Sadly, Baalke's track record does not convince me that he will actually replace the weakest link on a terrible offensive line.

Agreed 100% on the Fortner take.  He has been the weakest link for 2 straight years and arguably the worst center in football.  Its not even arguably imo when it comes to pass pro and run blocking combined as he is horrible at both.   There are 32 teams and he was the 33rd ranked C and if you watch him play he gets destroyed more often than not. Im also in agreement with you that my top 2 guys at 17 right now are the 2 Somoans, Fautanu and Fuaga.  I really hope one of those fall to our pick and we select them.  Id put Fautanu at LG day one and could play LT if injury and Fuaga id put at RG day 1 if we keep Cam for another year and if we let Cam go id put Harrison at LT and Fuaga can play RT day 1.  This online needs to add one of these Somoans, hopefully 1 falls to us at 17. 

On the Powers Johnson take, hes one of my favorite players in the draft and I dont think he will have a problem strarting at C day 1. He graded out the best C in run and pass blocking and won the Remington Trophy his only year at C.  17 is a bit early and i dont think he will be there when we pick in the 2nd.  If we dont add a C in FA and he is there going in to the 2nd round I would trade up 10 spots or so just to add him to the oline though.  Fautanu or Fuaga along with adding Powers Johnson to the oline would change the whole identy to the oline going forward and could be a strenght of ours.  I still wouldnt stop there though going foward in the draft in the later rounds.  Id continue to add to the group if a lineman is at the top of our board when its our pick.  Hopefully we at least add one really good starting piece to the oline in FA

(01-20-2024, 01:18 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

Resign Allen.

Again. It’s not just a 2nd. It’s a 2nd AND a contract if you sign him before the new league year. No one in their right mind would do that for Calvin Ridley.

What’s been discussed (and the likely option) is to tag and then sign him in March. As others have said, this allows the Jags to not give up a 2nd.

But giving up a 2nd and a new contract? Horrible.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2024, 05:10 PM by wg171. Edited 22 times in total.)

I will edit this post as my time permits…

- Hire an Executive Vice President of Football Operations
- Fire Trent Baalke
- Change Offensive Line scheme from finesse to power. Fire Rauscher if necessary to implement the change.
- Vastly improve physicality of the entire team
- Switch to a 4-3 base although a variation of a 4-2-5 will be employed the majority of the time.
- More focus on the Defensive Line, less focus on Linebackers

-Free up enough money, cut as necessary, to sign the following free agents…
- Robert Hunt…Guard
- Lloyd Cushenberry…Center
- L'Jarius Sneed…Corner
- Another edge rusher would be nice as would another guard

- Willing to give up a 3rd round selection for Ridley but not a 2nd
- Sign Allen to a fair deal or franchise tag him
- Fortner must not be a starter in 2024 regardless of position

- Draft Taliese Fuaga if possible and move Anton Harrison to LT making Cam Robinson a cut candidate to free up cap space

(01-20-2024, 09:23 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 01:45 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Yea, at this point it is safe to say that not many on the Board would complain if the first 2 picks were Fuaga and Parker-Johnson- regardless of what position they play on the line in their rookie year. It's asking a lot of Parker-Johnson to start at center as a rookie after playing just one year as a starter in college; that's why one of the free agent centers would be preferable.

Agreed 100% on the Fortner take.  He has been the weakest link for 2 straight years and arguably the worst center in football.  Its not even arguably imo when it comes to pass pro and run blocking combined as he is horrible at both.   There are 32 teams and he was the 33rd ranked C and if you watch him play he gets destroyed more often than not. Im also in agreement with you that my top 2 guys at 17 right now are the 2 Somoans, Fautanu and Fuaga.  I really hope one of those fall to our pick and we select them.  Id put Fautanu at LG day one and could play LT if injury and Fuaga id put at RG day 1 if we keep Cam for another year and if we let Cam go id put Harrison at LT and Fuaga can play RT day 1.  This online needs to add one of these Somoans, hopefully 1 falls to us at 17. 

On the Powers Johnson take, hes one of my favorite players in the draft and I dont think he will have a problem strarting at C day 1. He graded out the best C in run and pass blocking and won the Remington Trophy his only year at C.  17 is a bit early and i dont think he will be there when we pick in the 2nd.  If we dont add a C in FA and he is there going in to the 2nd round I would trade up 10 spots or so just to add him to the oline though.  Fautanu or Fuaga along with adding Powers Johnson to the oline would change the whole identy to the oline going forward and could be a strenght of ours.  I still wouldnt stop there though going foward in the draft in the later rounds.  Id continue to add to the group if a lineman is at the top of our board when its our pick.  Hopefully we at least add one really good starting piece to the oline in FA

I just saw the first mock in which Powers-Johnson was selected in the first round at number 21 to Miami. It was by Dane Brugler, one of the more respected draft analysts, in the Athletic. He is obviously extremely high on Powers-Johnson and believes he would be more than capable as starting as a rookie. I'm afraid you are correct about him not being available for the Jaguars when they pick in round 2, but if he is they'd have to take him.