Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you grade the Draft
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Baalke 2024 Draft Grade

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2024, 10:12 PM by I am Yoda.)

(05-06-2024, 06:51 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 06:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-...ns-flummox

Would y’all trade Steelers class for ours straight up?

I wouldn’t want to give up BTJ. That means they keep Fautanu. But I’d straight up trade the rest of our draft for the rest of theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-06-2024, 10:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 12:44 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This is fair. I went B+ because they moved down six or seven spots and picked-up a future 3rd and 4th. That's considered the 9th most lopsided trade in recent history. I think that can't be overlooked. 

In regards to the offensive line. Sure, would have liked one more lineman added, but, all things considered. Here's how I see it. 

They signed Morse, which addresses the weakest position and player on the team in Fortner. 
They brought back Cleveland, after they traded for him last year. When he's healthy, he's a damn good guard. 
They drafted Harrison last year at RT, who played well with a bum shoulder. 
They're bringing back Cooper Hodges from last year. 
They drafted Javon Foster as the next swing tackle. 
They kept Cam Robinson for LT.
They still have Walker Little who should honestly get put through the ringer this year at LT/LG/RG with his final year left.
They signed UDFA Steven Jones at RG who is an absolute whopper and played pretty good for the Oregon Ducks. 

There's some hope here for this offensive line. There really is. I expect them to be on better track this summer but we'll see. Had the maybe added Limmer out of Arkansas at C or Mahogany who kept slipping out of Boston College, I probably would have bumped their grade up to an A.

What is the source on this?  I've heard it said multiple times, but they must be using some bizzarro-world point chart.  When I pull up a points chart off the internet (such as DraftTek), it shows the Jaguars actually losing from a points perspective.  Below are the calculations:

The #17 spot is worth 950 points while the #23 spot is worth 760.  This means the Jaguars lost 190 points by moving down.

The Jaguars get the Viking's 3rd and 4th rounder next year.  However, it is commonly accepted that future picks are worth 1 round lower than a pick in the current draft.  As such, those picks should be treated as 4th and 5th rounders.  The Vikings' draft position next year is unknown.  If we assume that they are at the same spot next year as this year (#10 overall), those picks are worth 74 and 33.5 points respectively.  Add the 24.6 points for the #167 overall in 2024 draft, and you only come to 132.1 points.  We lost 57.9 points.

Even if we assume the Vikings are drafting #1 overall next year, we still would lose the trade by 31.4 points.

I would have to assume that the "points chart" showing that we won doesn't take into consideration that future picks are worth less than current picks.  If I do the calculations assuming all three picks were this year, then yes, it's true that the Jaguars would then "win" the trade.  However, even then, it's by a margin of 128.6 points or a very late 3rd rounder.  That's nice, but I would still have a hard time believing that could be the 9th most lopsided trade in NFL history.  Again, I would like to see the source.  I think someone is doing some creative math.

The biggest part of the trade is that the Vikings got a steal by getting Dallas Turner (ranked #9 on the consensus boards) at #17.  So from their point of view, even if the trade to move up from #23 was overpriced (if you don't take in the next-year factor,) it was enormously cheaper than going up to ninth spot to get him.  It looks like a win-win deal.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2024, 12:51 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-06-2024, 10:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 12:44 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This is fair. I went B+ because they moved down six or seven spots and picked-up a future 3rd and 4th. That's considered the 9th most lopsided trade in recent history. I think that can't be overlooked. 

In regards to the offensive line. Sure, would have liked one more lineman added, but, all things considered. Here's how I see it. 

They signed Morse, which addresses the weakest position and player on the team in Fortner. 
They brought back Cleveland, after they traded for him last year. When he's healthy, he's a damn good guard. 
They drafted Harrison last year at RT, who played well with a bum shoulder. 
They're bringing back Cooper Hodges from last year. 
They drafted Javon Foster as the next swing tackle. 
They kept Cam Robinson for LT.
They still have Walker Little who should honestly get put through the ringer this year at LT/LG/RG with his final year left.
They signed UDFA Steven Jones at RG who is an absolute whopper and played pretty good for the Oregon Ducks. 

There's some hope here for this offensive line. There really is. I expect them to be on better track this summer but we'll see. Had the maybe added Limmer out of Arkansas at C or Mahogany who kept slipping out of Boston College, I probably would have bumped their grade up to an A.

What is the source on this?  I've heard it said multiple times, but they must be using some bizzarro-world point chart.  When I pull up a points chart off the internet (such as DraftTek), it shows the Jaguars actually losing from a points perspective.  Below are the calculations:

The #17 spot is worth 950 points while the #23 spot is worth 760.  This means the Jaguars lost 190 points by moving down.

The Jaguars get the Viking's 3rd and 4th rounder next year.  However, it is commonly accepted that future picks are worth 1 round lower than a pick in the current draft.  As such, those picks should be treated as 4th and 5th rounders.  The Vikings' draft position next year is unknown.  If we assume that they are at the same spot next year as this year (#10 overall), those picks are worth 74 and 33.5 points respectively.  Add the 24.6 points for the #167 overall in 2024 draft, and you only come to 132.1 points.  We lost 57.9 points.

Even if we assume the Vikings are drafting #1 overall next year, we still would lose the trade by 31.4 points.

I would have to assume that the "points chart" showing that we won doesn't take into consideration that future picks are worth less than current picks.  If I do the calculations assuming all three picks were this year, then yes, it's true that the Jaguars would then "win" the trade.  However, even then, it's by a margin of 128.6 points or a very late 3rd rounder.  That's nice, but I would still have a hard time believing that could be the 9th most lopsided trade in NFL history.  Again, I would like to see the source.  I think someone is doing some creative math.

I thought I was being plagiarized for a moment.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...pid1620448

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...pid1620466

Great minds and all that I guess.

(05-06-2024, 06:51 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 06:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-...ns-flummox

Would y’all trade Steelers class for ours straight up?

ONE
THOUSAND
PERCENT.

Cripes, I'm even willing to toss in a finger or two if that gets the deal sealed.

(05-07-2024, 12:47 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 10:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: What is the source on this?  I've heard it said multiple times, but they must be using some bizzarro-world point chart.  When I pull up a points chart off the internet (such as DraftTek), it shows the Jaguars actually losing from a points perspective.  Below are the calculations:

I thought I was being plagiarized for a moment.

Value charts be danged. The trade is only a bargain if next year's darft is as deep AND we don't flush the picks. I like the early picks, you're gonna get more talent out of those selections. Amassing volumes of day 3 picks is perfect for a roster rebuild. Safe to say we can all agree that ain't where we are.

Now if next year is just as loaded and potential late first/early second guys fall to that third rounder (and they fit our needs), it's a win. Otherwise, we exchanged firsts to get the guys we both wanted where they fit, and the rest of the deal was just formality. Would have much rather gotten a late second this year than a 3rd, 4th and 5th to move. Not as many picks, but I'm not looking to fill out my punt coverage team.

"lopsided" is hilarious when you think the value that puts the trade over the top are the likes of D. Prince, Tyler Lacy, or Snoop Conner. Perspective is important.

(05-08-2024, 07:55 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 06:51 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Would y’all trade Steelers class for ours straight up?

ONE
THOUSAND
PERCENT.

Cripes, I'm even willing to toss in a finger or two if that gets the deal sealed.

I'm in, let's get the saw and FLGateJag in here and we'll send them a few of his digits.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Man I wanted Frazier so bad

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2024, 08:37 AM by HardcoreMoJagFan.)

(05-06-2024, 10:52 PM)cland Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 10:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: What is the source on this?  I've heard it said multiple times, but they must be using some bizzarro-world point chart.  When I pull up a points chart off the internet (such as DraftTek), it shows the Jaguars actually losing from a points perspective.  Below are the calculations:

The biggest part of the trade is that the Vikings got a steal by getting Dallas Turner (ranked #9 on the consensus boards) at #17.  So from their point of view, even if the trade to move up from #23 was overpriced (if you don't take in the next-year factor,) it was enormously cheaper than going up to ninth spot to get him.  It looks like a win-win deal.

While I probably would have taken Dallas Turner myself, we have no clue if the Vikings got a steal in Dallas Turner.  We like to talk about steals but he's only a steal if he produces.  We'll see how the next couple years go.

(05-08-2024, 08:15 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 12:47 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I thought I was being plagiarized for a moment.

Value charts be danged. The trade is only a bargain if next year's darft is as deep AND we don't flush the picks. I like the early picks, you're gonna get more talent out of those selections. Amassing volumes of day 3 picks is perfect for a roster rebuild. Safe to say we can all agree that ain't where we are.

Now if next year is just as loaded and potential late first/early second guys fall to that third rounder (and they fit our needs), it's a win. Otherwise, we exchanged firsts to get the guys we both wanted where they fit, and the rest of the deal was just formality. Would have much rather gotten a late second this year than a 3rd, 4th and 5th to move. Not as many picks, but I'm not looking to fill out my punt coverage team.

"lopsided" is hilarious when you think the value that puts the trade over the top are the likes of D. Prince, Tyler Lacy, or Snoop Conner. Perspective is important.

If the Vikings flounder this year that third could be a top 70 pick.  With another possible top 100 pick with it.  Waiting until next year is a gamble for sure but it could pay out huge.  It remains a great move no matter what if Thomas is the guy.

(05-08-2024, 07:55 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 06:51 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Would y’all trade Steelers class for ours straight up?

ONE
THOUSAND
PERCENT.

The Steelers seem to always have a very solid draft and this year is no exception. They potentially drafted 3 future starters on their OL and possibly two (Fautanu and Frazier) will be immediate starters. Add in Roman Wilson, a very underrated receiver, and Peyton Wilson at linebacker and you probably have the best draft class of 2024. The Jaguars draft is not as easy to evaluate and won't be until at least one year from now. If BTJ and Maason Smith meet their expectations this class might actually top the Steelers. On the other hand, if those top 2 picks fail to develop this draft will be very poor. I do credit Baalke for taking the risk of selecting 2 players with major upside and both play positions of need. Fans will need to be patient, especially with Smith, since he is likely to struggle initially due to lack of experience.

(05-08-2024, 12:17 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(05-08-2024, 07:55 AM)Mikey Wrote: ONE
THOUSAND
PERCENT.

The Steelers seem to always have a very solid draft and this year is no exception. They potentially drafted 3 future starters on their OL and possibly two (Fautanu and Frazier) will be immediate starters. Add in Roman Wilson, a very underrated receiver, and Peyton Wilson at linebacker and you probably have the best draft class of 2024. The Jaguars draft is not as easy to evaluate and won't be until at least one year from now. If BTJ and Maason Smith meet their expectations this class might actually top the Steelers. On the other hand, if those top 2 picks fail to develop this draft will be very poor. I do credit Baalke for taking the risk of selecting 2 players with major upside and both play positions of need. Fans will need to be patient, especially with Smith, since he is likely to struggle initially due to lack of experience.

I'll wait and see what happens with that wacky QB situation.
 They recently drafted a QB that wasn't what they thought  - and now need to either resurrect Russ Wilson from megalomaniac mediocrity or deal with a guy that will run well behind their revamped OL but may or may not develop into a passer. 

Nice draft - but we all know how rare it is to make a deep run without a tier one or tier two QB steering the offense these days.

I liked each of our picks. Some of them are risk/reward types but the first rounder fills a hole and should contribute immediately so risks further down the rounds are fine when the player has so many positives.

I just wish one of the picks was a center or guard.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-08-2024, 09:07 PM)mikesez Wrote: I liked each of our picks.  Some of them are risk/reward types but the first rounder fills a hole and should contribute immediately so risks further down the rounds are fine when the player has so many positives. 

I just wish one of the picks was a center or guard.

That sentiment is shared by most.  Had we taken one in the first 4 rounds, I don't think there'd be much to complain about this draft.

New player jersey numbers.

https://www.jaguars.com/photos/photos-20...c72ab2c525

Baalke turned our seven 2024 draft picks + 2 comp picks into the 9 drafted players, starting LG Ezra Cleveland, backup QB Mac Jones and a 3rd and 4th round picks in the 2025 draft. That’s solid work in my opinion. The guy gave himself 13 bites at the apple.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(05-09-2024, 02:33 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Baalke turned our seven 2024 draft picks + 2 comp picks into the 9 drafted players, starting LG Ezra Cleveland, backup QB Mac Jones and a 3rd and 4th round picks in the 2025 draft.  That’s solid work in my opinion. The guy gave himself 13 bites at the apple.

I think Jones could be traded again in the pre-season if some team suffers an injury. If we could turn a 6 into a 4 in one offseason that would be cool. The 6 this year for Ezra will be seen as a great move eventually, we got a very good starter for a 6 and a reasonable long term deal when other equivilant guards were signing for 40% more on average.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-08-2024, 08:33 AM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 10:52 PM)cland Wrote: The biggest part of the trade is that the Vikings got a steal by getting Dallas Turner (ranked #9 on the consensus boards) at #17.  So from their point of view, even if the trade to move up from #23 was overpriced (if you don't take in the next-year factor,) it was enormously cheaper than going up to ninth spot to get him.  It looks like a win-win deal.

While I probably would have taken Dallas Turner myself, we have no clue if the Vikings got a steal in Dallas Turner.  We like to talk about steals but he's only a steal if he produces.  We'll see how the next couple years go.

(05-08-2024, 08:15 AM)Mikey Wrote: Value charts be danged. The trade is only a bargain if next year's darft is as deep AND we don't flush the picks. I like the early picks, you're gonna get more talent out of those selections. Amassing volumes of day 3 picks is perfect for a roster rebuild. Safe to say we can all agree that ain't where we are.

If the Vikings flounder this year that third could be a top 70 pick.  With another possible top 100 pick with it.  Waiting until next year is a gamble for sure but it could pay out huge.  It remains a great move no matter what if Thomas is the guy.

Yup, and an ancillary benefit to us fans, getting to root against the Vikings every week this season. Can’t wait.

I give Baalke an A grade for the combination of free agency and the draft. It's obvious he took our weaknesses very seriously. We needed a receiver with deep speed, and we needed to get bigger and stronger. I have no idea if our draft picks are going to work out. Everyone knows the draft is a crap shoot. But he had a plan, and he executed that plan. Get bigger, stronger, and faster.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2024, 06:06 PM by ClemsonOrangeJaguar. Edited 1 time in total.)

I was pretty disappointed not by the players specifically chosen but by not addressing OL in a strong OL class until the 4th round and only 1 total pick. Going that route was the only direction I was thought the Jags could not afford to go in. You're about to pay Trevor a record breaking contract and they have one of the top RBs in the NFL - also a former valuable 1st round pick. Those two are the guys that the offense has and will rely on to be the playmakers and thus the team will go as far as they can take them but as proven the QB and RB position can't function well with a bad OL

Time will tell of course

(05-13-2024, 06:02 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: I was pretty disappointed not by the players specifically chosen but by not addressing OL in a strong OL class until the 4th round and only 1 total pick. Going that route was the only direction I was thought the Jags could not afford to go in. You're about to pay Trevor a record breaking contract and they have one of the top RBs in the NFL - also a former valuable 1st round pick. Those two are the guys that the offense has and will rely on to be the playmakers and thus the team will go as far as they can take them but as proven the QB and RB position can't function well with a bad OL

Time will tell of course

A good defense can take a lot of pressure off your quarterback.  If we fall behind and can't stop anybody, all the pressure goes on Trevor to keep us in the game.

(05-14-2024, 11:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 06:02 PM)ClemsonOrangeJaguar Wrote: I was pretty disappointed not by the players specifically chosen but by not addressing OL in a strong OL class until the 4th round and only 1 total pick. Going that route was the only direction I was thought the Jags could not afford to go in. You're about to pay Trevor a record breaking contract and they have one of the top RBs in the NFL - also a former valuable 1st round pick. Those two are the guys that the offense has and will rely on to be the playmakers and thus the team will go as far as they can take them but as proven the QB and RB position can't function well with a bad OL

Time will tell of course

A good defense can take a lot of pressure off your quarterback.  If we fall behind and can't stop anybody, all the pressure goes on Trevor to keep us in the game.

This is true, but at least he's got the talent and moxie to do it. Defense won't matter if Trevor has a blown knee or shoulder from a bad OL