Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Some Much Needed Perspective
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
You have to feel just awful for Fowler, and terrible as a fan in general. But frankly, this SHOULDN'T be a devastating blow. Fowler wasn't going to be the difference between 3 and 7 wins. That responsibility falls on Bortles and the offense. The defense was serviceable last year, and there's no reason to expect that it won't be again this year. This was still a good overall draft class, and a good FA haul. There are plenty of reasons for optimism!

Therefore.....

This should not be an excuse for Bradley and company if the team underachieves. It's time to win some games and score some points. Look at it this way: if this team doesn't contend for a .500 record, then you probably have the wrong QB and left tackle. That means heads will roll, and it will have had nothing to do with Fowler's injury.

Getting blackmon back would be the perfect thing to make everyone forget about fowler.

But we can only dream
The only problem is that we don't have consistent pressure on the QB. That's the main reason why we drafted Fowler, because we either had a sack or nothing close last year. The pressure is on Clemons and Branch for the defense, but the huge part of our success relies on Bortles and the offense in general.

Quote:The only problem is that we don't have consistent pressure on the QB. That's the main reason why we drafted Fowler, because we either had a sack or nothing close last year. The pressure is on Clemons and Branch for the defense, but the huge part of our success relies on Bortles and the offense in general.

They'll have to use Ryan Davis more.... Still don't get why they use him so sparingly.

They drafted Chris smith last year, and he flashed at times despite playing little. He should make the team too.
Quote:They'll have to use Ryan Davis more.... Still don't get why they use him so sparingly.

They drafted Chris smith last year, and he flashed at times despite playing little. He should make the team too.
Yeah, I don't know why they use Ryan Davis as a rotational player only. The guy had 6.5 sacks last year with limited snaps, and showed up on every play. I'm hopeful they'll put him in more.
Luckily we are stacked at LEO. Hopefully heals up and is ready for 2016. So frustrating for the young man.
Quote:Luckily we are stacked at LEO. Hopefully heals up and is ready for 2016. So frustrating for the young man.
So stacked that we passed on Leonard for a Leo?

I love Fowler but we are not stacked at Leo
Quote:So stacked that we passed on Leonard for a Leo?

If anything, this puts further attention on the value of Yeldon at 36.

Quite a few people suggested we double up at LEO with Gregory still on the board. Would look brilliant right now if they did take LEO back to back.
The worry should be more directed at Dante Fowlers remaining career. He wasn't going to win this team games by himself his rookie year, he definitely would of helped, but this doesn't put the fork in us.
Quote:So stacked that we passed on Leonard for a Leo?

Clem, Branch, Davis, Smith. If we were going to suffer any type of injury this was the best spot for it to happen. God forbid Telvin Smith gets hurt.
Quote:The worry should be more directed at Dante Fowlers remaining career. He wasn't going to win this team games by himself his rookie year, he definitely would of helped, but this doesn't put the fork in us.

Yes.

The real concern is beyond 2015.
Quote:The worry should be more directed at Dante Fowlers remaining career. He wasn't going to win this team games by himself his rookie year, he definitely would of helped, but this doesn't put the fork in us.

That's my worry now you have a tweener built on speed with a bum knee that can change careers.
"Tweener" Von Miller tears ACL December 2013. Has 14 sacks 2014. An ACL tear isn't the kiss of death.
Quote:Yes.

The real concern is beyond 2015.

This. I didn't expect that much this year, it is the future that worries me.
But how do you know Fowler would not have been the difference between 3-7 wins?

What if Fowler, but for the injury, would have been the instant impact guy we've been looking for?

What if he provided double digit sacks and forced a few game changing fumbles?

Now we'll never know.

Im just concerned that the ACL injury means a fowler that is a little hesitant when playing. If he is, he's a completely different player.
Quote:But how do you know Fowler would not have been the difference between 3-7 wins?

What if Fowler, but for the injury, would have been the instant impact guy we've been looking for?

What if he provided double digit sacks and forced a few game changing fumbles?

Now we'll never know.
The chances are a rookie LEO wouldn't be the difference maker. Could he have been? Absolutely. But he is still a rookie, it's uncommon for a rookie ANYTHING to win you 3-7 extra wins.

It's a sad day to be a jags fan, that a definite, but if we had our hopes on a rookie LEO for THIS season, we have bigger problems.

As said before, the worry should be on if Fowler can recover fully.
Quote:"Tweener" Von Miller tears ACL December 2013. Has 14 sacks 2014. An ACL tear isn't the kiss of death.
While it's not a " kiss of death", it's def not something to forget about.
Quote:The only problem is that we don't have consistent pressure on the QB. That's the main reason why we drafted Fowler, because we either had a sack or nothing close last year. The pressure is on Clemons and Branch for the defense, but the huge part of our success relies on Bortles and the offense in general.

Just score more and faster.
Quote:"Tweener" Von Miller tears ACL December 2013. Has 14 sacks 2014. An ACL tear isn't the kiss of death.

I love how people always equate A with B. If A did it, than surely B through Z will too...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5