Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: State of the Union Address
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
So let's see how much free stuff Obamas going to promise tonight
#hottake

I don't have regular TV. Is it as bad as everyone thinks?

So we're up to free;

Community college

Daycare

Mandatory sick days

Mandatory maternity pay

I finished watching the entire thing from the congressional introductions, to the end of Obama's speech. What is everyone's general opinions, thoughts, and criticisms with Obama's proposals? Do any of you think that any of the ideas that Obama proposed are practical and cost-effective? Will Congress continue to be more, or less partisan in the coming years? What did anybody think about the quality of Obama's speech in general? Was it a good or bad showing?

Quote:So we're up to free;

Community college

Daycare

Mandatory sick days

Mandatory maternity pay
...Does Obama understand that we're running a huge deficit, and have a $17 Trillion dollar debt? aren't we supposed to be cutting spending?
I couldn't watch it so I appreciate insight from different ones here. I figure we all have different enough points of view that I would get a fairly decent picture of what's going on.

Quote:...Does Obama understand that we're running a huge deficit, and have a $17 Trillion dollar debt? aren't we supposed to be cutting spending?
I don't have a problem with paid maternity leave and paid sick days as long as the companies pick up the tab, not taxpayers. In the case of the majority of government jobs, most already offer sick PTO. I don't think any cover paid maternity leave. My husband works for the local/state government and accrues sick PTO though he rarely uses it. Shoot, when I worked for Citibank back in the 90's we accrued sick PTO. 

Quote:I don't have a problem with paid maternity leave and paid sick days as long as the companies pick up the tab, not taxpayers. In the case of the majority of government jobs, most already offer sick PTO. I don't think any cover paid maternity leave. My husband works for the local/state government and accrues sick PTO though he rarely uses it. Shoot, when I worked for Citibank back in the 90's we accrued sick PTO. 
Obama didn't propose any private alternatives to any of his plans. So yes. You can expect taxpayers to pay for that as well as free community college.
Quote:I don't have regular TV. Is it as bad as everyone thinks?

I am a Democrat so it is always good when Barack Obama talks.
I don't think Congress will pass bills for free community college and daycare, but they probably agree sick leave for everyone is a good idea if taxes are not required to pay for it.

Do you all think the ISIS part will lead to redeployment of troops in Iraq? Obama said he wants congressional approval to use force there - in other words, go to war against ISIS.

Quote:Mandatory sick days

Mandatory maternity pay

I'll take things civilized countries have had for ages for 500 Alec.
Quote:I'll take things civilized countries have had for ages for 500 Alec.

Key word is mandatory
Quote:Key word is mandatory

If you don't make either one mandatory for companies then what's the bloody point?
Quote:I don't have a problem with paid maternity leave and paid sick days as long as the companies pick up the tab, not taxpayers. In the case of the majority of government jobs, most already offer sick PTO. I don't think any cover paid maternity leave. My husband works for the local/state government and accrues sick PTO though he rarely uses it. Shoot, when I worked for Citibank back in the 90's we accrued sick PTO.

No one has a problem with paid sick leave and maternity pay. I have a big problem with government making it mandatory, if I own a business it's up to me what benefits to offer not the Feds.
Quote:If you don't make either one mandatory for companies then what's the bloody point?

Come on fringe benefits are meant to attract employees lets not pretend this is some new idea never used. He basically mandating small businesses offer the same perks as large corporations regardless of their ability to pay for it, so guess what they'll just offer less jobs.
Quote:So we're up to free;

Community college

Daycare

Mandatory sick days

Mandatory maternity pay

Strongly disagree with subsidizing Community college.Most employers entry level and low wage places like Mcdonalds offer full tuition reimbursement. 

CC also offer a vast array of different scholarships, which most of which are not used and financial aid is already in place.

Disagree about daycare as well. Public schools have unfortunately handled this responsibility. 

Split down the middle when it comes to mandating public/private employers should provide sick and maternity pay. Most employers have moved away from the accured-rollover sick and vacation time, to now just offering front loaded vacation with limited sick (2-5 days on average)that must be used by year's end, and only offering FMLA to full time employees with time earned with the company. 

Maternity leave should be mandated as it becomes a liability to the employer if they do not offer a benefit that allows a woman to go on extended leave while unable to do physical tasks during pregnancy. Most public employers that pay minimum wage only offer about 3-6 weeks which clearly isnt enough time. Most doctors recommend bed rest about the 7-8th month.  
Quote:Come on fringe benefits are meant to attract employees lets not pretend this is some new idea never used. He basically mandating small businesses offer the same perks as large corporations regardless of their ability to pay for it, so guess what they'll just offer less jobs.

Hey, the more people that drop out of the job market the lower the unemployment number looks, so it's a win/win for Obama!
Quote:Hey, the more people that drop out of the job market the lower the unemployment number looks, so it's a win/win for Obama!

And lets not forget gas prices were dropped in spite of Obama. 
Quote:And lets not forget gas prices were dropped in spite of Obama. 

It's his boys that immediately proposed new gas taxes since they can't tolerate the low prices brought on by private frackers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6