Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Johnathan Cyprien had his best game as a Jag according to PFF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...s-week-15/

<span style="font-family:arial;">The below is an excerpt from the link

</span>

<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">"

</span>Breakdown:

Cyprien played well in coverage, allowing just one catch for a first down on three targets and he made a few nice stops against the run. Cyprien’s

+2.4

overall grade on defense is the highest of his two-year career. He also recovered Jacksonville’s surprise onside kick early in the second quarter.

<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">Signature Play:

</span> (Q4 5:32) As Joe Flacco scrambles, Cyprien does a great job of staying with Owen Daniels to defend the pass and force a punt".

<span style="font-family:arial;">Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, if Luke Joeckel and Cyp turn the proverbial corner, the 2013 draft will be a definite success with guys like Demetrius McCray and Denard Robinson developing as well.

</span>

Nice to see i thought he had a decent game but he needs better positioning at times. Good to see he's on the up though hopefully a better fs will help him
The "realist" will label this as an anomaly.
He has played well in coverage most of the year.

Good for him.  I'm good with him as our starting SS next year.  Having a solid FS next to him would help us out a lot though.

he's gotten no complaints from me

Quote:He has played well in coverage most of the year.

Yep, his issues have been angles and tackling, a common issue in today's NFL, he should improve in both of those areas in year 3. He has a chance to be a good all around SS, if we find a rangy FS that will make him that much better.
He's decent at coverage, but really needs to work on the angles he takes. Its his biggest flaw. If he can manage to work it out, he should improve even more so.

he's a poor tackling strong safety

that's not a good look

Quote:The "realist" will label this as an anomaly.

well, it is...

Still, very glad he played better.  If he can play like he did on Sunday, he's going to at least be worth his high draft selection.
I think a lot of the problem with him has been adjusting to the speed of the game and not having a dependable FS. 

He takes bad angles because he was playing at FIU before last season; everyone is faster, and he's going to have to continue to adjust and get faster himself. Lucky for everyone involved, he's young enough to do this. 

I think and hope he will get better after another offseason. 

Cyp has been overly criticized by many on this board.

If any of it has merit I'll chalk it up to two things, secondary was a mess early and he couldn't make up for all the problems and he had a bit of a "sophmore slump" where a team puts more on you and you struggle a bit. 

I think with a legit FS back there with him he'll be fine.

The CBs could be better than I thought they were pending the development of the two young players we have now.

Our defense could be really really good next year if the offense is competent at all. 

Quote:I think with a legit FS back there with him he'll be fine.

This
Quote:The "realist" will label this as an anomaly.
This happened one time. Should we call this the norm
The dude is good. Part of the reason he takes bad angles is because he has to play somewhat out of alignment to help assist in coverage. He isn't truly lined up where he should be in this defense of him to really excel. Most teams see that on film and design plays to get him one on one a lot. With him slightly out of position he puts him at a disadvantage most of the time. 

Like most other people have said, a better free safety back their will help him out tremendously. 

Quote:The dude is good. Part of the reason he takes bad angles is because he has to play somewhat out of alignment to help assist in coverage. He isn't truly lined up where he should be in this defense of him to really excel. Most teams see that on film and design plays to get him one on one a lot. With him slightly out of position he puts him at a disadvantage most of the time. 

Like most other people have said, a better free safety back their will help him out tremendously. 

Whose fault is it that he's out of position?  Either it's him or the coaches.  I'm not sure which, but something ain't right.
Quote:Whose fault is it that he's out of position?  Either it's him or the coaches.  I'm not sure which, but something ain't right.
Not sure if you read the whole post or pushing an agenda? He's playing slightly out of alignment to help assist in coverage. They guy is really asked to do more than he should be. It's no ones fault. He's doing it out of necessity. 
Quote:Not sure if you read the whole post or pushing an agenda? He's playing slightly out of alignment to help assist in coverage. They guy is really asked to do more than he should be. It's no ones fault. He's doing it out of necessity. 

Just asking a serious question actually.  I have no agenda on it. 
Quote:Just asking a serious question actually.  I have no agenda on it. 
I hear you. I mean we just have below average to average safety play. The thing is for this defense to excel their needs to be a good to great free safety. It just the system. Cyprien just isn't lined up right all the time according to the design because he has to help Evans in coverage which moves him out of position a lot. Now the faster MLB and OTTO play has helped way move than I though it would. I greatly underestimated the significance of those positions in the defense. 
Quote:I hear you. I mean we just have below average to average safety play. The thing is for this defense to excel their needs to be a good to great free safety. It just the system. Cyprien just isn't lined up right all the time according to the design because he has to help Evans in coverage which moves him out of position a lot. Now the faster MLB and OTTO play has helped way move than I though it would. I greatly underestimated the significance of those positions in the defense. 

Hopefully we can get a ball-hawking FS back there with him to allow him to do the SS stuff that's required of his position.
Pages: 1 2 3 4