Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: In Gus I trust, or as Marks said "We got a good one"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I read several threads and posts bashing our Head Coach, and I understand why that has occured with only 2 wins this season.   The thing is I think he's a good coach with potential to be a fantastic head coach with record to prove it.  He needs time to acheive this goal, and he has great character traits.  He has integrity, guts to make the tough calls, knowledge, enthusaism, and he's a players coach.  The players work hard even to the last whistle when the team knows that they have no chance of making the playoffs.  That kind of drive and effort from young guys will pay off in the future.

If we are 2-10 next season I'll create a thread stating how blind I was, but I promise you it wont be needed as this team will at least be 8-8 next year.

I don't read every single post by every member, but I think the biggest concern on the coaching staff is on the offensive side.   I don't know how much input Bradley has on that side of the ball...  But that to me is my concern.  Most folks on here that I've read seem OK with giving Gus another year...  But the offensive needs overhauling...

Yes, I know the excuses...  bad O-line, "rookies", etc...  But the offensive philosophy is also lacking.  I'm not sure Fish is the right guy.  Example:  We had at least 6 plays where there was absolutely no receiver on on side of the field.  All the receivers were ligned up on 1 side...  None of those plays worked.  To me, that is an issue.  These types of plays may work in college, but in the pros, it's just to easy to defend.

In these situations (two losing seasons or just being blown out during one season and having very few wins) tends to lead to firing of coaches if not the head coach but his staff.

I too have watched games wondering what OC Jedd Fisch was doing on the play calling, scratching my head at times.  I feel that Gus shouldnt be hindered though, and if he feels Jedd Fisch is the best OC for the team than Dave should allow him to stay another year under Gus.  I think that has to hold true for anyone that Gus wants on the team including Special Teams Coach Mike Mallory whom many of us including me feels should be fired.

As to whom plays/coaches once on the staff has to be Gus's decision otherwise we will never know if Gus Bradley wouldve done the things we felt he could do because the excuse will always be that he was micromanaged

(see the washington redskins owner Daniel Snyder).

The team is young, but Gus refuses to use that excuse because he holds himself accountable.  A noble trait that you dont find that often.  The team is improving in most areas, and at the very least I hope fans wait until the end of the season before bashing him anymore.

As I've stated on here before, it is unwise to dump a head coach after only two seasons... even bad ones. It takes time to build a winning team, and Gus has had to start almost from scratch with the Jags. Has he made mistakes? Certainly, but keep in mind that he is a rookie head coach himself and there is a learning curve involved here too.

I think that much of the unhappiness that has been aimed at Gus is the result of the decision to gut the team as massively as was done and go with so many rookies. I'm sure that Dave and Gus talked about this move ahead of time and realized the likely short term consequences of it; but I'm still pretty sure that it was the right decision, even if it means we stink for a few years.

To be sure, Gus has his annoying foibles (don't we all?) but he nevertheless was the best choice available at the time we needed a new head coach. Sure, we would prefer to hire a coach with prior super bowl winning experience as a head coach... but none were available at the time. Gus has prior experience as a super bowl winning defensive coordinator, and the players seem to believe in him enough not to give up. That's more than what can be said for some prior coaches we've had here...

Fans are going to be fans, and haters are gonna hate. So be it. I for one say stick with Gus and Dave give them the time to build a winning franchise. Consistency in leadership and direction is probably one of the most overlooked yet key ingredients for a winning team.

Play calling is always called into question when the plays don't work.  Most of us have no clue as to whether a different play would have worked better.   A lot of the time it's not the play, but the execution, that causes a play to not work.  Missed blocks, forgotten assignments, receivers not adjusting their route, quarterback not getting rid of the ball, or some players just being physically overmatched.  Plus, the quarterback bears a lot of responsibility for deciding what play to actually run, regardless of what play was called from the sideline.  

It's easy to say, gee, if they had called a different play, or if they had called this one particular play, or if they lined up in a different formation, it would have worked.  

And usually, after a victory, fans post about how much better the play calling was.   Well of course it looked better, because the plays worked and we won the game.  

I guess I am just skeptical of all those people who blame the play calling.  They don't sit in on the meetings when the game plan is formulated.  I think usually, it's the execution and not the play itself that causes the failure. 

Personally, I think our offensive line is physically overmatched, and that's what causes the play calls to look bad.   There aren't many plays that are going to work when your offensive line is as bad as ours. 

Every thing I read or hear about Gus, is that people love him.  The players love to play for him.

Quote:Play calling is always called into question when the plays don't work.  Most of us have no clue as to whether a different play would have worked better.   A lot of the time it's not the play, but the execution, that causes a play to not work.  Missed blocks, forgotten assignments, receivers not adjusting their route, quarterback not getting rid of the ball, or some players just being physically overmatched.  Plus, the quarterback bears a lot of responsibility for deciding what play to actually run, regardless of what play was called from the sideline.  

It's easy to say, gee, if they had called a different play, or if they had called this one particular play, or if they lined up in a different formation, it would have worked.  

And usually, after a victory, fans post about how much better the play calling was.   Well of course it looked better, because the plays worked and we won the game.  

I guess I am just skeptical of all those people who blame the play calling.  They don't sit in on the meetings when the game plan is formulated.  I think usually, it's the execution and not the play itself that causes the failure. 

Personally, I think our offensive line is physically overmatched, and that's what causes the play calls to look bad.   There aren't many plays that are going to work when your offensive line is as bad as ours. 

How do you know it's the play calling when you don't know what play was called? Maddenism at it's finest I think.
Tom Coughlin players hated him but guess what he was a great coach. I don't care how much his players love him, his job is to field a winning team. He has until next year to field a winning team or it'll be time to move on.

Quote:Tom Coughlin players hated him but guess what he was a great coach. I don't care how much his players love him, his job is to field a winning team. He has until next year to field a winning team or it'll be time to move on.

Did you see the special on him? They all flat out said that if Coughlin hadn't changed his personal style in New York he was going to be canned the year before the first Super Bowl win. He made adjustments to his approach and the team responded. It DOES matter whether or not the players respond, and it's pretty easy for a coach in Bradley's situation to lose the locker room, that he hasn't is a testament to his character and ethics.
The biggest issues with Bradley that I have seen have been with his game management.

Questionable uses of challenges.

Poor clock management.

Attempting a two point conversion at the wrong time.

There have been many times this year where the game looks too big for him.

Quote:Tom Coughlin players hated him but guess what he was a great coach. I don't care how much his players love him, his job is to field a winning team. He has until next year to field a winning team or it'll be time to move on.
Bingo.

Winning heals all wounds. Players hate Harbaugh... 3 straight NFC championships and 6 yards away from a Super Bowl win.

No matter how much the players LOVE Gus, if he doesn't win, he won't be the head coach of this team. Simple as that.
Quote:Play calling is always called into question when the plays don't work. Most of us have no clue as to whether a different play would have worked better. A lot of the time it's not the play, but the execution, that causes a play to not work. Missed blocks, forgotten assignments, receivers not adjusting their route, quarterback not getting rid of the ball, or some players just being physically overmatched. Plus, the quarterback bears a lot of responsibility for deciding what play to actually run, regardless of what play was called from the sideline.

And usually, after a victory, fans post about how much better the play calling was. Well of course it looked better, because the plays worked and we won the game.

I guess I am just skeptical of all those people who blame the play calling. They don't sit in on the meetings when the game plan is formulated. I think usually, it's the execution and not the play itself that causes the failure.

Personally, I think our offensive line is physically overmatched, and that's what causes the play calls to look bad. There aren't many plays that are going to work when your offensive line is as bad as ours.

I get what you're saying, and you're not completely off base. But specifically to my observation, how wise is a passing formation when you decide to have zero receivers on one half of the field?

That formation and route package was run multiple times and never worked. He even went to it when in the red zone in the second whether quarter, which almost led to an interception... it makes me a bit concerned...
Quote:The biggest issues with Bradley that I have seen have been with his game management.

Questionable uses of challenges.

Poor clock management.

Attempting a two point conversion at the wrong time.

There have been many times this year where the game looks too big for him.

In his defense, I think he has improved noticeably in the first two areas of criticism you cited. I'm with you on the 2pt conversions, but I'm starting to get the sense that he's really beginning to "get it." Maybe that's just blind optimism at its finest...I guess only time will tell.
Quote:I read several threads and posts bashing our Head Coach, and I understand why that has occured with only 2 wins this season.   The thing is I think he's a good coach

with potential to be a fantastic head coach with record to prove it.  He needs time to acheive this goal, and he has great character traits.  He has integrity, guts to make the tough calls, knowledge, enthusaism, and he's a players coach.  The players work hard even to the last whistle when the team knows that they have no chance of making the playoffs.  That kind of drive and effort from young guys will pay off in the future.

If we are 2-10 next season I'll create a thread stating how blind I was, but I promise you it wont be needed as this team will at least be 8-8 next year.

I literally stopped reading and cannot take you seriously. 
Quote:I literally stopped reading and cannot take you seriously.

The irony here is that no one on this board takes you seriously.

My sentiments exactly. A lot of people here want a coach like Harbaugh but he's not a players coach. Honestly I don't give a crap if he's a players coach or not. When I see the moron jumping around like a buffoon after winning his 6th game ever, I just cringe. I mean at least get some competent / quality assistants and coordinators. 
Quote:The irony here is that no one on this board takes you seriously.

Are you my stalker. I feel this creepy feeling like you always have to follow me around. You're a loser and a weirdo, back off!
Quote:Are you my stalker. I feel this creepy feeling like you always have to follow me around. You're a loser and a weirdo, back off!

I'm glad you have a high opinion of yourself but unfortunately I don't share that same opinion of you. Keep on trollin <del>JungleCat</del> ThunderCat.
Quote:Did you see the special on him? They all flat out said that if Coughlin hadn't changed his personal style in New York he was going to be canned the year before the first Super Bowl win. He made adjustments to his approach and the team responded. It DOES matter whether or not the players respond, and it's pretty easy for a coach in Bradley's situation to lose the locker room, that he hasn't is a testament to his character and ethics.

I'm talking about his time here, he wasn't a players coach. I don't really care how much players love or hate their boss, I care about them performing and the Head Coaches job is to get results.

So what the team hasn't quit on him, what's they got us 2 wins? It's all a moot point, next year he either gives us results or it'll be time to move on, even if the fans, media and players all love the guy. Win or go home.
Quote:In his defense, I think he has improved noticeably in the first two areas of criticism you cited. I'm with you on the 2pt conversions, but I'm starting to get the sense that he's really beginning to "get it." Maybe that's just blind optimism at its finest...I guess only time will tell.

I don't know. He made a questionable challenge against Indy a few weeks ago on a sideline catch by Moncrief. Even the announcers  had no idea why he threw that flag.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8