Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles needs to play fast?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
"Bradley said Bortles also could be playing faster, adding that at times Bortles is holding the ball too long and that his decision-making is not as quick as is needed."

Am I missing something here? It seems that every play that's a designated pass Bortles has 2 seconds to do something in the pocket, so how can he be holding the ball too long? I don't know if I've been watching the wrong 9 games this year, but I don't see how Bortles isn't playing "fast". From what I can see the offensive line is at fault. Anyone care to explain to me what our HC meant when he said that? Thanks.

I see other qbs have nice comphy pockets at times, not ours
Him playing faster will come with time and experience as well as better play from the OL.

A new offense would do wonders too.  Better coaching wouldn't hurt.
Quote:"Bradley said Bortles also could be playing faster, adding that at times Bortles is holding the ball too long and that his decision-making is not as quick as is needed."

Am I missing something here? It seems that every play that's a designated pass Bortles has 2 seconds to do something in the pocket, so how can he be holding the ball too long? I don't know if I've been watching the wrong 9 games this year, but I don't see how Bortles isn't playing "fast". From what I can see the offensive line is at fault. Anyone care to explain to me what our HC meant when he said that? Thanks.
I agree that Blake has minimal time out there. We do need some hogs, badly. Its too bad our high picks have only played as well as the low picks on the offensive line, and all of them play like backups.
Seems like on most plays either the primary read is a short pass (all hooks or all slants) or he gets direct pressure. Havent rewatched this game yet tho 

Bortles is holding on to the ball for more than 2 seconds.  That's just unacceptable with our O-line.

Quote:Bortles is holding on to the ball for more than 2 seconds. That's just unacceptable with our O-line.
True. The problem I'm having is figuring out who the weak link on the OL is. 'wanko and Linder keep receiving praise. Joeckel, Beadles, and Pasztor ain't trashtier, but as a unit our OL is awful
Quote:True. The problem I'm having is figuring out who the weak link on the OL is. 'wanko and Linder keep receiving praise. Joeckel, Beadles, and Pasztor ain't trashtier, but as a unit our OL is awful

The problem is all of their powers combined.

Bowanko: EARTH!

Joeckel: FIRE!

Pasztor: WIND!

Linder: WATER!

Beadles: HEART!

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM TERRIBLE O-LINE!

BY having nobody truly good, you bring the whole unit down.  
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ke-bortles

Obviously he is trying to kick Bortles in the butt and get him kick started but I really do think he is turning a blind eye to the horrid playcalling by Jedd Fisch by making Bortles the scapegoat.

We saw what Bortles did in his first 6 games. We saw what Fisch also called during that time. I don't want to hear crap about "oh its the preseason, hes being gameplanned". You still have to make accurate throws in the preseason. You still have defenses playing their butts off trying to make the team.

Fisch needs to go back to an offense that screams of "nothing to lose". Not "Play it safe and prevent" offense. CBs are jumping routes because receivers are doing too many comeback routes. Fix Fisch. Save Bortles.

Too bad Bradley probably won't realize this until hes collecting his things in a box.

Fisch just needs to go.   Bring in a more accomplished NFL offensive coordinator, whatever it costs.  Unfortunately I see little to no chance of that happening with Bradley at head coach in our current situation.

Quote:Fisch just needs to go.   Bring in a more accomplished NFL offensive coordinator, whatever it costs.  Unfortunately I see little to no chance of that happening with Bradley at head coach in our current situation.

Knowing Bradley (if he keeps his job), is on a short lease. It will be nearly impossible to get a great OC.
The coaches neutered BB when they said they were going to call plays that he cannot audible out of...

I'm sure BB did not react the same way this fella did :thumbsup:

[Image: f59a09559397146d93ad9985574287a3.jpg]

Quote:Knowing Bradley (if he keeps his job), is on a short lease. It will be nearly impossible to get a great OC.

Exactly.  Which is why I'm perfectly fine with them cutting ties with Bradley too.  No hard feelings, it didn't work out, Gus didn't seem to be ready from the big jump to HC from DC.  He'll probably go back to being a DC somewhere and is young enough to earn another head coaching job down the line.  Who knows, he may be successful then with more experience and maturity.  
Quote:The coaches neutered BB when they said they were going to call plays that he cannot audible out of...

I'm sure BB did not react the same way this fella did :thumbsup:

[Image: f59a09559397146d93ad9985574287a3.jpg]
Feel free to show a single link where they've said anything of the sort.  Then watch a game and explain to us what he's doing when it appears he's calling audibles at the line. 
Quote:Feel free to show a single link where they've said anything of the sort.  Then watch a game and explain to us what he's doing when it appears he's calling audibles at the line. 
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...2f9cda3422

"While Bradley talked on Monday about having some run-only plays called and possibly discouraging Bortles from calling an audible in those situations, the overriding feeling is there’s no need or inclination to curtail the rookie quarterback."

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...gs-best-rb

"Bradley said the Jaguars had 22 running plays called against the Steelers, but quarterback Blake Bortles checked to passes on seven of those plays. Bortles completed five of those passes, threw one incompletion, and had the other pass intercepted and returned for a touchdown. Bradley said Bortles did a good job with the checks, but also said he’d like to see more runs called where there isn’t an option to check out."

There are the facts...happy spinning!
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-Titans-Into-Focus-Gerhart-Joeckel-and-urgency-to-win/22bc30e6-50a1-41d2-adbc-832f9cda3422'>http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-Titans-Into-Focus-Gerhart-Joeckel-and-urgency-to-win/22bc30e6-50a1-41d2-adbc-832f9cda3422</a>

"While Bradley talked on Monday about having some run-only plays called and possibly discouraging Bortles from calling an audible in those situations, the overriding feeling is there’s no need or inclination to curtail the rookie quarterback."

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/8578/the-day-after-johnson-jags-best-rb'>http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/8578/the-day-after-johnson-jags-best-rb</a>

"Bradley said the Jaguars had 22 running plays called against the Steelers, but quarterback <a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/16724/blake-bortles?ex_cid=null'>Blake Bortles</a> checked to passes on seven of those plays. Bortles completed five of those passes, threw one incompletion, and had the other pass intercepted and returned for a touchdown. Bradley said Bortles did a good job with the checks, but also said he’d like to see more runs called where there isn’t an option to check out."

There are the facts...happy spinning!
So...he cant check out of a run play....which has nothing to do with Bortles passing the ball or restrictions on his passing.

Also, read the bolded in your very link.
Quote:So...he cant check out of a run play....which has nothing to do with Bortles passing the ball or restrictions on his passing.

You and FBT might as well be twins.

He asked for a link saying that and he provided one.

It has nothing to do with him passing the ball?  
Quote:"Bradley said Bortles also could be playing faster, adding that at times Bortles is holding the ball too long and that his decision-making is not as quick as is needed."

Where's that analytics showing that Bortles is a top 10 QB when given 2.5+ seconds to throw?
Quote:You and FBT might as well be twins.

He asked for a link saying that and he provided one.

It has nothing to do with him passing the ball?

Maybe I'm missing something? How is not being able to change a running play neutering Bortles as a QB.
Quote:So...he cant check out of a run play....which has nothing to do with Bortles passing the ball or restrictions on his passing.

He was previously checking out of runs to pass, which worked out well most of the time.  Now, he has no choice but to execute certain running plays they call.

Read into what you want.
Pages: 1 2 3 4