Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: When will Blake Bortles make his first start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
So many people are predicting Blake Bortles will start sometime this season I thought it is time for a poll about the date. Our bye is Week 11, after the Cowboys game.

Chad Henne is done. Now we know Blake Bortles will make his NFL debut as a starter in San Diego next week. So I changed the question and my vote.

Tough to call, but I'll say after the bye.  Please don't hit me!

I think this week. Gus dodging the Henne question on monday speaks volumes surely.

Quote:Tough to call, but I'll say after the bye.  Please don't hit me!

Why would I hit you?
Quote:Why would I hit you?

Because you're mean?
Quote:Because you're mean?

LOL nonsense. I am only askling for predictions here.
Quote:LOL nonsense. I am only askling for predictions here.

Whew!  I went ahead and voted then.
Steelers. If we manage to lose to the Colts and the Bolts, it's gonna be Big Ben vs. the new Big Ben.

Voted week three. I'm torn between 3 and 5. So I'm voting with by how I want it to go.

With Gus' comments, hard to think he will wait 2 more weeks if conversations may be going on about it now. If it's week 5 or later, that's going to be a looong wait.
LOL Talk about ironic: The one who voted for next season is BORTLESMANIA. That one surprised me.

I am hoping it is a home game.

Quote:Steelers. If we manage to lose to the Colts and the Bolts, it's gonna be Big Ben vs. the new Big Ben.

LOL Or it is BB vs. BB.

So many people compare Bortles to Roethlisberger that would be a great matchup.
Not soon enough needs to be an answer.

Whenever Gus "has that discussion", whatever that means. Apparently "they" haven't had it yet. I don't see any way in hell Gus can go the entire season without playing Bortles, but with the way things have been going, it really wouldn't surprise me. This coaching staff is defying logic at pretty much every turn. I'd like to see him start week 5 against the Steelers, but I seriously doubt we see him before week 10 or so, at best.
Quote:Whenever Gus "has that discussion", whatever that means. Apparently "they" haven't had it yet. I don't see any way in hell Gus can go the entire season without playing Bortles, but with the way things have been going, it really wouldn't surprise me. This coaching staff is defying logic at pretty much every turn. I'd like to see him start week 5 against the Steelers, but I seriously doubt we see him before week 10 or so, at best.

I think we'll see him before week ten. I'd be surprised if he isn't starting by 5.
Quote:Not soon enough needs to be an answer.

LOL Any answer after the first one is "not soon enough."
Quote:I think we'll see him before week ten. I'd be surprised if he isn't starting by 5.

Logically, I agree with you. It just makes absolutely zero sense to keep him on the bench, and I think Gus is starting to come around to the same conclusion. But let's not forget, Dave drafted him with the idea to sit him the entire year, and while he doesn't make the decision who starts and who doesn't week in and week out, this was HIS pick. Bradley would, in a sense, be going against the plan of his GM to do this, and I think that's where the problem lies. Bradley knows his job is safe through next year, he doesn't have to play Blake to keep his job. He also doesn't want to cause friction between himself and Dave. I assume when he said "we haven't had that discussion yet" in regards to Blake starting, Dave was one of the people he needed to have the discussion with.
When we want to start winning
Quote:Logically, I agree with you. It just makes absolutely zero sense to keep him on the bench, and I think Gus is starting to come around to the same conclusion. But let's not forget, Dave drafted him with the idea to sit him the entire year, and while he doesn't make the decision who starts and who doesn't week in and week out, this was HIS pick. Bradley would, in a sense, be going against the plan of his GM to do this, and I think that's where the problem lies. Bradley knows his job is safe through next year, he doesn't have to play Blake to keep his job. He also doesn't want to cause friction between himself and Dave. I assume when he said "we haven't had that discussion yet" in regards to Blake starting, Dave was one of the people he needed to have the discussion with.

That's a good point. If that were the case I'd hope Gus would have enough backbone to tell Dave what needs to be done and I'd hope Dave would be smart enough to see it as well. I think they do work well together and are on the same page. So, hopefully that's not the case. If the team keeps playing like they did on Sunday, their jobs would be on the line after showing zero improvement so they'd almost be forced to whether they wanted to or not. I don't think khan would be too happy if they got blown out all year. I don't think that will happen though.
Quote:Logically, I agree with you. It just makes absolutely zero sense to keep him on the bench, and I think Gus is starting to come around to the same conclusion. But let's not forget, Dave drafted him with the idea to sit him the entire year, and while he doesn't make the decision who starts and who doesn't week in and week out, this was HIS pick. Bradley would, in a sense, be going against the plan of his GM to do this, and I think that's where the problem lies. Bradley knows his job is safe through next year, he doesn't have to play Blake to keep his job. He also doesn't want to cause friction between himself and Dave. I assume when he said "we haven't had that discussion yet" in regards to Blake starting, Dave was one of the people he needed to have the discussion with.

Very good points. However, I think "we" means Bradley, Fisch, and the QB coach (whose name I can never remember) first, then Caldwell, who does not watch game film. And of course the discussion must include Henne and Bortles. All of those guys have to talk before Caldwell gets involved.

Although Caldwell made the pick, he said afterward everybody - the Khans, scouts, Bradley, and the offensive assistants - agreed without even talking Bortles is the best quarterback in the draft. So he was reallly everyone's pick.
Quote:That's a good point. If that were the case I'd hope Gus would have enough backbone to tell Dave what needs to be done and I'd hope Dave would be smart enough to see it as well. I think they do work well together and are on the same page. So, hopefully that's not the case. If the team keeps playing like they did on Sunday, their jobs would be on the line after showing zero improvement so they'd almost be forced to whether they wanted to or not. I don't think khan would be too happy if they got blown out all year. I don't think that will happen though.

Yeah. Interestingly enough, I haven't seen any interviews with Dave lately where he's been asked about Blake. Dave's an honest guy. He obviously isnt going to come out and say exactly what he's thinking, but he usually tips his hand with what he doesn't say. I'd be interested to hear if he's still steadfast in his approach to bring Blake along slowly or if his tone has changed a bit. If it has, I believe change is coming soon. But I also agree with you that I don't think we'll continue to get blown out all year. Things looked equally bleak last year and we reeled off a couple wins the second half of the season. I don't think Gus will be on the hot seat anymore come December.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6