Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Toby Gerhart is not an NFL caliber RB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I know that I made a thread similar to this a few weeks ago, but now my opinion has changed. I was giving Gerhart the benefit of the doubt, seeing as if I had never seen him start a game in the NFL. But now I think we can all agree that the dude is slow and ineffective. I understand that our line is trash (it has been for the past 6 years) And that he supposedly his ankle was hurt. But if you're given the title of a starting RB in the NFL, and getting paid the money you are, then you are expected to rise above excuses and mediocre performance, and make a damn play. His numbers were pathetic.Since our inception as a franchise we have had some of the best RBs the league has seen in recent memory . And for this franchise to just pay some unproven backup and magically make him our guy baffles me. Put Denard and Todman in, at least they're not overpaid bums

Quote:I know that I made a thread similar to this a few weeks ago, but now my opinion has changed. I was giving Gerhart the benefit of the doubt, seeing as if I had never seen him start a game in the NFL. But now I think we can all agree that the dude is slow and ineffective. I understand that our line is trash (it has been for the past 6 years) And that he supposedly his ankle was hurt. But if you're given the title of a starting RB in the NFL, and getting paid the money you are, then you are expected to rise above excuses and mediocre performance, and make a damn play. His numbers were pathetic.Since our inception as a franchise we have had some of the best RBs the league has seen in recent memory . And for this franchise to just pay some unproven backup and magically make him our guy baffles me. Put Denard and Todman in, at least they're not overpaid bums
Ohh will you shut up. IT WAS ONE GAME. 
One game. Below average o-line play. Chill.

LOL. You realize he hurt his ankle pretty badly in the 1st quarter, right?  

I would like to see D Robinson get at least 8 touches this week, but judging Gerhart so harshly after one game in which he played through injury behind a line that was horrible at run blocking is just silly. Really silly. 

Quote:One game. Below average o-line play. Chill.
Below average is too much credit
You guys will make excuses for anything. you'll see what I'm saying when we're 8 games in and the dude still hasnt had a game with over 60 yards

Quote:I know that I made a thread similar to this a few weeks ago, but now my opinion has changed. I was giving Gerhart the benefit of the doubt, seeing as if I had never seen him start a game in the NFL. But now I think we can all agree that the dude is slow and ineffective. I understand that our line is trash (it has been for the past 6 years) And that he supposedly his ankle was hurt. But if you're given the title of a starting RB in the NFL, and getting paid the money you are, then you are expected to rise above excuses and mediocre performance, and make a damn play. His numbers were pathetic.Since our inception as a franchise we have had some of the best RBs the league has seen in recent memory . And for this franchise to just pay some unproven backup and magically make him our guy baffles me. Put Denard and Todman in, at least they're not overpaid bums

Ever thought of going into scouting?  You're a natural !!  Just think of all the Merit Badges you can get !!
You just watched him run behind one of the worst lines in the league in one single game. How are you even assessing him at this point? Why not look at his play in Minnesota? He looked great there with better blocking around him and was a reliable fill in while AP was gone.

If you look at the starting backs in the NFL, you will be hard pressed to find someone you'd pick Gerhart over. He is near the bottom. That being said, I don't think he is a bum. Gerhart is the kind of back that can be effective if given a solid o-line like he had in Minnesota. But he isn't a guy that can create something out of nothing. He is going to be useless this year unless the line plays better.

Quote:You just watched him run behind one of the worst lines in the league in one single game. How are you even assessing him at this point? Why not look at his play in Minnesota? He looked great there with better blocking around him and was a reliable fill in while AP was gone.

Oh yeah! lets look at his amazing play in MInnesota why dont we? anyone could have ran through those holes. Ive watched damn near all of highlights, he still looks slow with no burst, and overrated power. You guys can argue with me all you want, but I'm telling you that the dude is a bum and isn't helping out team
Quote:Oh yeah! lets look at his amazing play in MInnesota why dont we? anyone could have ran through those holes. Ive watched damn near all of highlights, he still looks slow with no burst, and overrated power. You guys can argue with me all you want, but I'm telling you that the dude is a bum and isn't helping out team
So are you complaining about Toby or the Jags running game? A rushing effort relies on more people than the running back if you aren't a top 3 RB to begin with. I don't think he's anything amazing personally but he's not Sub NFL caliber like the title of your thread stated. 

The nurple continues to set a truly high bar here.
Quote:Oh yeah! lets look at his amazing play in MInnesota why dont we? anyone could have ran through those holes. Ive watched damn near all of highlights, he still looks slow with no burst, and overrated power. You guys can argue with me all you want, but I'm telling you that the dude is a bum and isn't helping out team

I'm not arguing with you. But in my line of work 1 day of performance doesn't determine the outcome of the person. We have to compile data that is used to identify trends for analysis over a time period. By game 8, if you made this post then, and he is performing poorly, I'll agree because the data is there and shows just as much. 
Gerhart never passed my eye test, healthy or not. Great as a goal line guy, but he will be replaced sometime soon I believe.

I dont post here often, but feel inclined to on this topic.

We always hear the excuse about poor line play. Two things about that....

1. Did anyone think it was going to be a strength coming into the season?

Certainly not me. And I'm guessing certainly not the coaching staff. So why exactly are we giving him 18 touches- more than a workhorse like Frank Gore? I understand the concept of offensive balance, but if we don't have the personnel to run dives then we shouldn't. Creativity will be needed here, and I put the responsibility to manage this on the coaching staff.

2. The line was porous yes, but if there was anyone who was worse last year it was the Ravens.

They have new and rookie pieces just as we do. I daresay our talent on the line outweighs theirs. And their running back for most of the game couldnt even get PT on our putrid team last year. Yet in comes forsett- they find creative ways to play to his strengths, and sure enough hes able to take what the defense gave him and find holes. He looked great last week.
2.X YPC is not going to cut it. Either we need to adjust dramatically and find what works for Toby, or start considering a stable approach and vary personnel by the playcall.

He is better then what we had

MJD 9 carries for 11 yards behind a much better line. SMH
I do believe that Toby Gerhart's blitz protection and receiving skills will be a key factor in Blake Bortles becoming the Jaguars starting QB sooner than he would be without a RB with a 3 Down skill set. 

I will wait to pass judgement till our o-line gels.

About three quarters of the threads started on this forum (including this one) are started by posters who are not pro caliber.

So Gerhart put up AP-like numbers in Minn where the line is great but its all his fault that he had a bad game week 1 while playing injured. Someone should report this thread to the logic abuse hotline, the OP Rice'd her.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7