Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 3-4 D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
We have playmakers on D that would fit the mold of a 3-4 D.

MLB's- Poz, Jack

OLB- Fowler, Ngakoe (sp)

NT- Miller

DE- Odrick, Jackson

Looks pretty like a pretty stout front.

Thoughts?

Move Jack to SS and draft Rueben Foster
So the defense that just finished 6th in total yards allowed should make a major scheme change? 

I don't see it.  

I think this defense in a 4-3 with more aggressive play-calling and one or two upgraded positions will easily be a top 5 defense in 2017. 

Quote:We have playmakers on D that would fit the mold of a 3-4 D.

MLB's- Poz, Jack

OLB- Fowler, Ngakoe (sp)

NT- Miller

DE- Odrick, Jackson

Thoughts?

Where Does Jonathan Allen go?
Quote:Where Does Jonathan Allen go?

Hopefully to the team that trades up to our spot.

MLB's- Poz, Jack

OLB- Fowler, Ngakoe (sp)

NT- Miller

DE- Odrick, Jackson

Thoughts?

Telvin is the second best player on the D. Clearly we dont need him in your lineup.
The only way I'd like to do a 3-4 is if we go the Arizona-mold and have Telvin Smith play that Deone Buchanon role.

Quote:Hopefully to the team that trades up to our spot.

Ohhhhhhh snap. 
Quote:Ohhhhhhh snap. 

I'd like to trade down and grab the best O-lineman available and maybe pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder and get more O-line.

MLB's- Poz, Jack

OLB- Fowler, Ngakoe (sp)

NT- Miller

DE- Odrick, Jackson

Thoughts?

Instead of listing the players in this manner, try to look at it from a scheme specific standpoint against an offensive lineup. Typically, most every NFL Defense will use a shade technique with it's Defensive Linemen, especially on running downs. This allows gap control to be a little easier among other things. So instead of using monikers like "NT", "DE", MLB and such, use technique numbers instead.

----------------------------Q
--R

-----------------H
------------------------------Z

---Y
----------------T
--G
--C
--G
--T
---------------------X

--Cl
-------------------------------------------Cn
-----------Cr

----------------------------S

Now looking at this, who do you want where? Who covers that slot via the Cn role? Colvin? House? Draft Pick?

Which 5 do you want to have to stand up the potential double team from H and T?

Which 50 handles H when it's Gronkowski? Is that Jack? Telvin? Fowler? Also, which 50 rushes the passer or drops into coverage? Is that Yannick?

Which 20 stands up when that backside Guard pulls around and wraps up to block him? Is that Poz? Jack? Free Agent?

Lots of stuff involved in a defensive scheme other than just naming positions.

I have no idea what Deacon is talking about...but man does he sure seem smart.

MLB's- Poz, Jack

OLB- Fowler, Ngakoe (sp)

NT- Miller

DE- Odrick, Jackson

Thoughts?
Neither Poz nor Jack would do well in a 3-4 as ILBs.

Poz hated the 3-4 when he was in Buffalo, which is why he came here.

Jack would not hold up will having to take on guards all the time.  He needs to be in a scheme where his speed and athletic ability are emphasized.
Quote:Telvin is the second best player on the D. Clearly we dont need him in your lineup.
They would be interchangable. I actually was thinking Smith as a SS.

I realize that we finished decent statistically. 

How did we finish as far as forcing turnovers? I'm tired of the bend but don't break crap. 

This would never work. We don't have 34 players on defense. /JaguarsWoman
Quote:I'd like to trade down and grab the best O-lineman available and maybe pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder and get more O-line.

I totally agree.

MLB's- Poz, Jack

OLB- Fowler, Ngakoe (sp)

NT- Miller

DE- Odrick, Jackson

Thoughts?

I love the 3-4 D but in effort to run it effectively I think a team really needs a plugger (e.g. Haloti Ngata / Casey Hampton) lining up at NT.    Miller would be decent but I really love the big ole fat dude that doesn't budge when the center & guard are trying to run block.
After setting up to get this defense to where it was this season, you really want to tear it up and not be a base 4-3 type defense?  I don't.  There are so many things that can be done with the 4-3 and we should concentrate there.

You have to draft for a 3-4 and not just believe you have some players that can switch to it because you want to play it.  We can build on the defense we have and still ditch otto and leo terms/play.

They need to play straight up Tampa 2.

Quote:So the defense that just finished 6th in total yards allowed should make a major scheme change? 

I don't see it.  

I think this defense in a 4-3 with more aggressive play-calling and one or two upgraded positions will easily be a top 5 defense in 2017. 

You do realize when teams like the Chargers and Titans get up on the Jags by the score of 35-0 (3rd Qtr) and 27-0 (Halftime) they tend to take their foot of the gas and attempt to just run out the clock right?

We're # 25 in points against per game and #32 in takeaways.

#19 rushing yards against per game

Quote:So the defense that just finished 6th in total yards allowed should make a major scheme change? 

I don't see it.  

With all due respect, the rankings are total crap, and like the above mentioned, don't account for garbage time scheming. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5