Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Reality check...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm really looking forward to the up-coming season of Jaguars football. I'm hoping that with the acquisitions gained in FA and the draft that there will be some improvement reflected via the end of season record. I am not, however, drinking the teal kool-aid just yet; after so many seasons of disappointments, I'm learning to 'not count my chickens before they've hatched'. The optimism of an 8-8 or better season and even play-offs are... well, stretching the limits of credibility.

Let's get real for a moment...

1. our offensive line is made up of players who are either unproven, mediocre, or out-right bad. Add to this the fact that they have largely never played together in real games and you have the ingredients for trouble.

2. Chad Henne is the starting quarterback. He is an experienced player and will do the best he can. The problem is that his best isn't really all that good. In fact, on his best days Henne is, by NFL standards, only a mediocre quarterback. Repeat; on his best days... add to that the fact he will be behind a questionable offensive line (see #1 above) and again... trouble.

3. our new receivers; they might be really good! But then again... they might not. They are rookies, and rookies make rookie mistakes. They have to learn the NFL game too. And they are already experiencing injuries before there has even been any contact! Now, combine that with a, 'at best' mediocre quarterback and a suspect offensive line and... trouble. This offense looks like it might have to lean a lot on the running game for a while. That's ok; Henne can hand the ball off with the best of 'em. Now, can this 'new' line run block? 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust...

So it really seems like it makes sense to sit Blake Bortles for a while, even if he seems ready to play. We need our O-line to jell before putting him in there. All things being equal, I wouldn't expect too much from the offense this season. We just have had so many holes to fill that it's going to take another FA and draft to do it... at least. Yes, we could have perhaps traded down to get some more draft picks but we would've been picking from the bottom of the barrel instead of the top. The end result would've been to replace mediocre talent with more mediocre talent.

On the other hand, our defense took real strides toward improvement, primarily through FA acquisition. As long as these FA's don't have the 'paid vacation' attitude, we should be better on defense this season... much better. After all, we couldn't really get much worse, could we?

Here is what I hope to see from the jag's this season.

1. at least a 5-11 record. I mean, come on....

2. in defeat, don't get blown out. Too many games last season were decided by or before the end of the first half. At least stay in the game and keep it close and competitive. 

A lot of people make much of the four wins at the end of the season last year. I don't. I want to see us win when the other team is bringing it's A game.

I guess there's a reason why so many are expecting the jags to not do phenomenally better this year than last. Yeah, we should do a 'little' better, but 8-8 or better is just un-realistic. I would be very happy if I was very, very, wrong and we went to the SB. However, the probability is we will, at best, be middle of the pack. But that would be a dramatic improvement.

We're probably going 5-11 or 6-10 this season. 

How's that for a reality check???

Quote:We're probably going 5-11 or 6-10 this season. 

How's that for a reality check???
sounds about right...
In the 2nd year of the Dave & GUS era, you would hope / expect to improve upon the record of last season (4 wins unless the schedule was incredibly more difficult which I do not think it is). 

Looking back to last season we lost to the Cheifs (many did), Seattle (Superbowl Champs), Broncos (SB losers), Chargers (beat the Chiefs in playoffs), 49ers (NFC Championship game losers), and swept by the Colts (we shouldve won at least one).

The games we shouldnt have lost to Rams, Raiders, Cardinals, Bills and one game to the Titans couldve easily been wins had the team developed as they started to do towards the end of the season.  The team in no way is ready to go over the .500 mark in my opinion this season (i could be wrong hopefully i am), but if they continue to improve and finish 8-8 this year... I expect a playoff run next season as Blake Bortles will start to develop into a franchise QB during the later half of this year.

I totally agree I think defense will be much improved but offense sure has a lot of question marks. Rb position is big ? Lots of young unproven guys Gerhart,D rob,Todman and Storm.

1.  I thought we got Beadles because he is at least above average...

2.  Henne wont start the entire season

3.  Our receivers have at least improved

4.  The O-line can "jell" during practice and preseason.  That is what its for.  It's not like they don't know each other's names until week 8 of the regular season.  Our problem is that we have been moving guys around during the season due to injuries.

2015 is the year

Quote:I thought we got Beadles because he is at least above average...

He is. I'm not the biggest fan of his though. I think we overpaid there. I didn't mind overpaying for Mack, because Mack is legit top 5 at his position. 

The Beadles signing reminded me of the Landry/ Pashos/ Session signings and those of that ilk. 
Quote:He is. I'm not the biggest fan of his though. I think we overpaid there. I didn't mind overpaying for Mack, because Mack is legit top 5 at his position. 

The Beadles signing reminded me of the Landry/ Pashos/ Session signings and those of that ilk. 

What could hurt us is if we have no continuity at the C position.
Quote:He is. I'm not the biggest fan of his though. I think we overpaid there. I didn't mind overpaying for Mack, because Mack is legit top 5 at his position. 

A case of "we upgraded the position with one of the best FAs available while we had money to spend" and I'm ok with that considering how poor the O-line has been the last few years. I, too, would've like to get Mack as well, but you can't win them all and we can agree that they at least went after some upper tier FAs instead of just middlings.
Quote:A case of "we upgraded the position with one of the best FAs available while we had money to spend" and I'm ok with that considering how poor the O-line has been the last few years. I, too, would've like to get Mack as well, but you can't win them all and we can agree that they at least went after some upper tier FAs instead of just middlings.

I'm not sure how "upper" tier Beadles actually is. 

Blocking for Peyton Manning isn't exactly the toughest assignment in the world. 
Quote:I'm not sure how "upper" tier Beadles actually is. 

He was the best available, right?
How many games has the offensive line started?  Take Beadles out, and look at the entire offensive line including depth.  It's got to be under 20 games!  This is not going to be pretty.

Quote:How many games has the offensive line started?  Take Beadles out, and look at the entire offensive line including depth.  It's got to be under 20 games!  This is not going to be pretty.

Joekel is at least a second year player.  That must count for something.

Sitting the bench works wonders, remember?
RG and C being the biggest question marks, I'm fairly confident that Luke, Zane and Austin (with Cameron as the swing) will be solid.  I feel like Linder will play well, just Mike Brewster gotta do his thing, or Bowanko if he wins the opportunity to.

Now lets say the offensive line plays really, well, surprisingly well and Henne throws for 4200 25 td's 13 int's and Gerhart runs for 1400 and 10 td's and this team goes 10-6 and win the division. I can envision that through my Gold Goggles

Quote:How many games has the offensive line started?  Take Beadles out, and look at the entire offensive line including depth.  It's got to be under 20 games!  This is not going to be pretty.

Exactly....

Which is part of the logic for not throwing Bortles back there so quickly as a rook. 
My guess for wins remains pretty much the same as it was before the draft between 6-8 wins, there are gonna be a lot of 1st and 2nd year players that are going to be in pivotal roles on offense and defense so there are definitely going to be some growing pains on both sides of the ball. 

Quote:I'm not sure how "upper" tier Beadles actually is. 

He helped carry Tebow to a playoff win. That really says it all.
Quote:sounds about right...

I don't think there are that many people that are actually being reasonable think we are going to have an amazing year....

It's new season optimism, not playoff/Super Bowl talk.
Reality check: Season hasn't started yet.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5