Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Tacks Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
As far as a week 16 of a up til now 2 win season goes, this has been a good week for Jaguars fans.  The team fired Bradley on Monday, and we get sweet revenge on the loathsome tacks, playing the Grinch and spoiling their Christmas playoff plans.  HO!  HO!  HO!

My thoughts...

1.  When the team first hired Doug Marrone and periodically thereafter, I made repeated references to a game against Kansas City when he was the Bills coach.  In that game, he had the Chiefs' defense off balance the entire game with a 3rd string QB.  Only the Jeff Tuel's physical limitations kept the Bills from winning that game, as his weak arm threw some disastrous INTs, including a 100 yard pick 6.  However, that game stuck in my mind for how off balance he had the Chiefs' defense the entire game.  Today's game was reminiscent of that game.  I think Bortles' play was attributable to his play calling.  They attacked deep early, reintroducing us to Allen Robinson and mixed in some nice screen passes, and even a WR pass for a TD in the 4th quarter!!!!!  That was certainly the most fun I've had watching the Jaguars this year, and one of the reasons for my advocacy for Marrone.  I don't know if this two week audition will be enough to persuade Khan and Caldwell to retain him, but I hope it gives them more to consider.

2.  Back to Bortles, this was easily the best game he had all year.  At one point, I think he was 15/16!  He had no INTs either.  There were still some throws you wish he didn't make or made better, but I have few complaints about his game today.

3.  Damn it was great to blow out the tacks and possibly end their playoff run!

4.  I have to give kudos to the defense.  It has played fairly well for most of the year, but today, they put everything together.  They shut down the vaunted tack running game, shut down Mariota, and even covered the TE for most of the game!  I don't think they score that first TD but for that penalty on Day.  Dante Fowler had a sack and a half and was flat out dominant.  This was the kind of performance I was waiting to see from him.

5.  In my years watching football, it's rare to see a power back with a fumbling issue, but that certainly applies to Ivory.  What in the heck is going on with him?  His fumbles have KILLED us this year.  He had one that led to a tack FG that almost got them back in the game and nearly had another on the screen pass.

6.  It wouldn't be a Jaguars game without special teams gaffes.  Myers did well with extra points for most of the year, but he missed two today.  Thankfully he had plenty of opportunities to miss them today, and he had a great day kicking FGs.  The penalty on Thompson was iffy-not definitively bad or good.

7.  Rookie watch:

I.  Jalen Ramsey-has been absolutely on fire the past two weeks.  Last week he had a great game against Hopkins, netting his first INT.  This week, he had several PBU and his first ever pick 6.  His play this season overall and the last two weeks in particular should erase any doubt about his viability as an NFL CB.  Once the pass rush improves and we start playing with more leads, he will be known among the elite CBs in the league.

II. Myles Jack-I saw that he started and I saw him in on some running plays.  He did not stand out in coverage, but then I realize that Walker was quiet most of the game.

III.  Yannick Ngakoue-Had a sack on a stunt, had other pressures, and drew a holding penalty against Lewan.  His performance and Fowler's performance make me feel good about our ability to match up against their tackles in the years to come.

IV.  Sheldon Day-Had a penalty that extended a tack drive, but followed that up later with the sack of Mariota that knocked him out of the game.  Overall, I'd say he had a good game.

V.  Allen-DNP

VI.  Ellis-had a catch, but I'm not yet a big fan.

8.  Did I mention how great it was to smack around the tacks?

9.  It was great to see Allen Robinson involved in the offense in a substantive way.  It was nice to see Lee's contributions, too, and it was too bad he had that one catch negated by Parnell's hands to the face penalty, but his TD pass to Bortles was sweet.  If Hurns were healthy, I can only imagine this offense's potential with Marrone and Hackett and those guys healthy.

10.  Bottom line:  As a general rule, I prefer superior draft position over otherwise meaningless games.  But considering our division rivals were not in any danger of getting a franchise QB as a result of late season losses to us, I almost want the Colts to win and Texans to lose so we can be spoiler to them next week, too.  Damn it was great to smack the tacks!

Ageed with pretty much everything. Good to see you giving some props to Fowler. There is a few that still think hes a bust coming off an ACL and being coach by the worst coach in NFL history. Im sure those same think Jack is a bust. Hopefully Jack starts at MLB next year and Fowler and Jack will have breakout years behind a new coaching staff.
I think the next coach will move poz to strong side, which is common for aging linebackers so they can mainly focus on setting the edge, and shooting the gaps against the run, and I think you'll see jack start at mike, so poz being on the field he can still make the calls, but I think we'll see them all 3 on the field together most of next year. I also hope we draft 2 quality lbs so we have better depth. (Fingers crossed for jarrah Davis out of florida, perfect for sam)
Quote:I think the next coach will move poz to strong side, which is common for aging linebackers so they can mainly focus on setting the edge, and shooting the gaps against the run, and I think you'll see jack start at mike, so poz being on the field he can still make the calls, but I think we'll see them all 3 on the field together most of next year. I also hope we draft 2 quality lbs so we have better depth. (Fingers crossed for jarrah Davis out of florida, perfect for sam)
Ooooh I disagree with this on any number of levels.

First off he's 32.  A new coach will likely try to phase him out for youth and speed.

Secondly, at Sam, he would be required to cover TEs on occasion-NOT his forte.

I also think the scheme will dictate if he stays and, if so, where he plays.

I think if the new coach employs a speed based 4-3 (Smith), Poz is phased out.

If a 3-4 is used, Poz MIGHT stay due to the need to have numbers and size at ILB, but one of the reasons he left Buffalo is that he didn't want to play in a 3-4.  Furthermore, if a blitz heavy 3-4 is used, I don't think Poz plays OLB.
#1 observation.   Proof the team quit on Gus weeks ago.

The team seemed to have a spark today that has been missing. The enthusiasm was there. Bortles looked like this was 2015, Robinson was himself again too. With Hurns/Lee/Robinson we are so loaded at WR. 

The telling moment for me in this game was when we lined up right on the goal line with alualu at FB and smashed it right in with Ivory. That was a statement play right there. It's good to see us imposing our will on someone. 

Quote:#1 observation.   Proof the team quit on Gus weeks ago.
Not entirely sure I buy this either.

The defense recorded three goal line stands within the last 3 weeks.  That's not the sign of a team that has quit.

Now I will absolutely say Gus could not maximize the talent on this team, whether they quit or not.
The largest difference I saw today was the lack of stupid penalties. Don't know if the team had more focus, or the refs didn't call it close, but the team didn't kill drives with penalties.

After the first two near interceptions by Ramsey I turned to my buddy telling him Ramsey is getting one today. Seal the deal.

Regards....................the Chiefjag
Quote:The largest difference I saw today was the lack of stupid penalties. Don't know if the team had more focus, or the refs didn't call it close, but the team didn't kill drives with penalties.

After the first two near interceptions by Ramsey I turned to my buddy telling him Ramsey is getting one today. Seal the deal.

Regards....................the Chiefjag
Good observation regarding the lack of stupid penalties.

There were two penalties that hurt us, and maybe one could be classified as "stupid," and that was Day's personal foul, which, in itself, wasn't THAT bad.
Hats off to the Jags. They outplayed us.
Quote:Hats off to the Jags. They outplayed us.
Thanks...and it's about damn time.

TBH I'm as surprised as anyone.

You guys beat some good teams to get in position to contend.
No more Leo and Otto, now the jags D is built to shut down any team
I'm not sure I can talk about betting but being a UK fan I'm allowed to do it. I watched out first drive and immediately put 20 on jags to win by 14 or more at 8/1 that's how confident I was.

Like you say a dramatic reduction in penalties and Blake look so much more assured!
Great Job Jags!!! It was actually local here in Houston, and I couldn't believe the change in demeanor that your team showed! It also gets us a bit closer to the division winner...so there's that.  Now this is entirely my opinion and I admit that I could be completely wrong, but I always feel like an NFL team that sees their leader/HC gets fired always goes to bed that night with a thought of "Holy shite, that could be me," and tends to take the next game with every bit of effort they could possibly summon.  Hopefully they take it to the Colts next game to prove me wrong!

Quote:Not entirely sure I buy this either.

The defense recorded three goal line stands within the last 3 weeks.  That's not the sign of a team that has quit.

Now I will absolutely say Gus could not maximize the talent on this team, whether they quit or not.

They quit on the Gus game plan and messages long ago.  They still have pride in their performance, and that's all we have seen.  But Gus sucked the passion and life out of the team.  Words and actions never aligned over the past 13 weeks.
LOL@ Lee he said his first read was to throw the ball away if anybody was near Blake Smile 

Observation?

Gus should have been fired a long time ago. Seems obvious now.
Quote:Hats off to the Jags. They outplayed us.

Yeah, there's no doubt you guys are extremely disappointed in how the tacks played today.

I think it's safe to say neither fan base expected them to not even show up today, I know I expected a much much better game from them.

Just to let you know, I am rooting for the Bengals tonight so it will be a showdown for the division next week, and may the best team, not named the Jaguars, win the AFCS this year.
Quote:They quit on the Gus game plan and messages long ago.  They still have pride in their performance, and that's all we have seen.  But Gus sucked the passion and life out of the team.  Words and actions never aligned over the past 13 weeks.
ok...this I can buy.
Fowler was getting good pressure off stunts keep soing that.

Bortles did have a bad stretch in the third/fourth where he was 4/10 with some inaccurate throws but not too bad today.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5