Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Again.....just like the Gerhart selection, if you've been paying attention (which I wasn't) this pick shouldn...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
A month or so ago I compared Caldwell's pick of Gerhart in free agency similar to what he did in Atlanta with the Michael Turner FA selection....

well, guess what?....

Blake Bortles is similar to the QB his regime drafted in Atlanta, in Matt Ryan. 

Gus Bradley as head coach is similar to Atlanta's choice of Mike Smith...

Caldwell is a creature of habit. We all need to start paying more attention to what he's done or been a part of in his past in Atlanta to get an idea of what moves he's going to make. 

Imagine that. A guy follows his instincts based on past experience. The next thing you'll tell us is that water is wet.
Hope we don't trade our draft away for a WR

Quote:A month or so ago I compared Caldwell's pick of Gerhart in free agency similar to what he did in Atlanta with the Michael Turner FA selection....

well, guess what?....

Blake Bortles is similar to the QB his regime drafted in Atlanta, in Matt Ryan. 

Gus Bradley as head coach is similar to Atlanta's choice of Mike Smith...

Caldwell is a creature of habit. We all need to start paying more attention to what he's done or been a part of in his past in Atlanta to get an idea of what moves he's going to make. 
Well...what do you think of the pick?

I know you preferred to deal down.

I know you liked Bridgewater and Manziel.

Can we count on you trashing this move?
I thought the same. A man of conviction.  What's interesting is Dave building the offense like Atlanta and Indy (more so ATL) and Gus building the defense like Seattle.  I also find the following interesting

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...71bc0267dc

[Image: 53824b1aa95e11e3be5712572cbeeb81_8.jpg]

We shoulda known then

Quote:Imagine that. A guy follows his instincts based on past experience. The next thing you'll tell us is that water is wet.

I don't know what to feel about this pick. I'm disappointed, but not angry. 

I'll admit when it was made, I was stunned. I had the same sinking feeling in my stomach as when they traded up for Gabbert. 

But, I am willing to give it a chance, because I don't think Bortles is anywhere near as bad as Gabbert. I just thought better talent, and even better talent at QB was still left on the board. 

Or maybe I just don't know QB's. I really think Minnesota got a steal with Bridge at 32. But maybe I'm wrong. 

The only saving grace is Houston didn't get both Clowney and Bridge. 

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...632b0ebfa0

Good video to watch if you haven't. The presser is good.

Quote:Well...what do you think of the pick?

I know you preferred to deal down.

I know you liked Bridgewater and Manziel.

Can we count on you trashing this move?

I really really DON't want to trash it. 

Honestly. 

And I won't. 

Am I disappointed? 

Yes. 

I thought we could have traded down and maybe still gotten Bortles. I would have liked that deal that Cleveland got from Buffalo with the 1st rounder in 2015. 

But I am willing to give it a chance. 

Dave Caldwell, has just put himself out there though. Like Gene Smith with Gabbert....Dave's Jags legacy will be judged on this pick. 
Quote:http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...632b0ebfa0

Good video to watch if you haven't. The presser is good.

I'll check it out. 
Yeah i think the only part that hurts is the deal the browns got from the bills. Otherwise yeah im shocked and a little dissapointed but im gunna cheer for my Jags either way.

I think a big turn-off for the staff on Teddy was him not taking part in everything in the combine.

Quote:I really really DON't want to trash it. 

Honestly. 

And I won't. 

Am I disappointed? 

Yes. 

I thought we could have traded down and maybe still gotten Bortles. I would have liked that deal that Cleveland got from Buffalo with the 1st rounder in 2015. 

But I am willing to give it a chance. 

Dave Caldwell, has just put himself out there though. Like Gene Smith with Gabbert....Dave's Jags legacy will be judged on this pick. 

That's fair to Bortles, though it could be argued that had Jacksonville traded down, Cleveland might have taken Bortles.

This is about where I am.

Willing to give it a chance.

My immediate hope is two fold:

1)  The Jaguars get him some help these next two days.

2)  The Jaguars keep Bortles on the bench at least until the OL has had a chance to get its bearings.  Ideally, we won't see Bortles until after the bye week...unless we just hit on EVERY pick we make this year.
I imagine that Dave, with Bortles as the top player on his board -- probably drove a very hard bargain with Buffalo.  He showed that in the future, if you really want to trade up with him, you have to do it on his terms.  

Cleveland probably was a bit easier going, because look at that trade they made with the Vikings to get Gilbert.

Quote:[Image: 53824b1aa95e11e3be5712572cbeeb81_8.jpg]

We shoulda known then
A great sign. In more ways than 1
I Love Caldwell. And the more and more I think about it, we will be getting Blackmon back week 9.

It's nice to see you not being negative TMD. Bortles does kinda seem like a mobile Matt Ryan. I thought you really disliked Bortles earlier in the year?
Quote:I imagine that Dave, with Bortles as the top player on his board -- probably drove a very hard bargain with Buffalo.  He showed that in the future, if you really want to trade up with him, you have to do it on his terms.  

Cleveland probably was a bit easier going, because look at that trade they made with the Vikings to get Gilbert.
We took the guy Cleveland wanted so they traded down. Buffalo gave up too much imo.
Quote:I imagine that Dave, with Bortles as the top player on his board -- probably drove a very hard bargain with Buffalo.  He showed that in the future, if you really want to trade up with him, you have to do it on his terms.  

IDK.  Buff was at 9 and still had to give up next year's 1st to move up to 4.. Whereas Dave's price to move up to 3 was stated to be atleast a future 1st if we were to go outside the top 10.  If that makes any sense
Quote:I Love Caldwell. And the more and more I think about it, we will be getting Blackmon back week 9.
Yeah.  That talk about Blackmon was bait mate
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6