Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mojo gives a brutal analysis of the Jags' season.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Check out the link. It starts at the 4:24 mark.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dave-dameshek-...es-drew%22

I have a few disagreements.

Mojo criticizes Caldwell for getting rid of quality players like Knighton, Daryl Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Greg Jones, and replacing them with players who weren't as good.  I can't argue with him on Smith and Monroe.    However, while Knighton was a very good player,  I think Marks was/is better, and he's still playing today. I love Greg Jones, but by the time Caldwell arrived, his career was basically finished.

Can't disagree with what he says about Bortles. It's pretty harsh.

I strongly disagree with the commentator who calls Dante Fowler a bust. The dude hasn't even played a full season yet! I live in Atlanta, and Falcons fans were saying the same thing about Vic Beasley last year.  Please, let's just see where the guy is next year before we call him a bust. Good pass rushers don't develop overnight.

Mojo seems to think Malik Jackson wasn't a good pick up. I strongly disagree with that. Curiously, he seems to have more praise for Gipson. I'm not very high on Tashun.

He singles out Julius Thomas. I know a lot of people on this board don't like Julius, but I do.  It was always unrealistic to expect him to catch 10 TDs in a season. That's easy when your quarterback is Peyton Manning. Bortles isn't Manning, obviously.  I think if you put Thomas on the Patriots, he probably catches 7+ TDs from Brady.  Let's see what Julius does with a better QB (here in Jax) before we toss him aside.

I would be interested in reading your comments.

So basically he's upset that Dave got rid of his friends.
Quote:So basically he's upset that Dave got rid of his friends.

He does disqualify himself - he seems to imply that when Dave arrived, he wasn't the Mojo of old.
Quote:He does disqualify himself - he seems to imply that when Dave arrived, he wasn't the Mojo of old.

I understand that but none of those players would be contributing right now. Most of them are out of the league.
Quote:He does disqualify himself - he seems to imply that when Dave arrived, he wasn't the Mojo of old.

After breaking his left foot in Oakland he never regained his speed and tackle-breaking ability.
He thought getting rid of Knighton was a mistake and 30 seconds later he lauded Marks and Miller.

Ok.
I agree with most of what he was saying. Caldwell missed on Blake, AR, and Fowler. The greg Jones and Knighton thing is far fetched. Overall, Caldwell and Gus are/were the problem. However, Gus needed to go before we need to see Caldwell go. Blake needs to be benched, and I don't think anyone can make an argument to how he can get better.
Quote:He thought getting rid of Knighton was a mistake and 30 seconds later he lauded Marks and Miller.

Ok.

He seems to have stopped following the team outside of big news. I've noticed over the years that his analysis of the Jags is always based on basic knowledge of the team.
Quote:So basically he's upset that Dave got rid of his friends.

Lol yep. He should have kept Daryl Smith another year.
Quote:I agree with most of what he was saying. Caldwell missed on Blake, AR, and Fowler. The greg Jones and Knighton thing is far fetched. Overall, Caldwell and Gus are/were the problem. However, Gus needed to go before we need to see Caldwell go. Blake needs to be benched, and I don't think anyone can make an argument to how he can get better.

I think it's unfair to call a first year pass rusher a bust. I don't think A Rob is bust.
Quote:I agree with most of what he was saying. Caldwell missed on Blake, AR, and Fowler. The greg Jones and Knighton thing is far fetched. Overall, Caldwell and Gus are/were the problem. However, Gus needed to go before we need to see Caldwell go. Blake needs to be benched, and I don't think anyone can make an argument to how he can get better.

Bortles and Robinson were great last season and just need good coaching to be great again.
So quick to jump the gun. SR had a down year. Some of that is on him, but considering the QB I am willing to give everybody a pass at WR/TE. Blake is the worst starting QB in the NFL and its not even close. We need a new QB, and I think AR, Hurns, and Julius will have a resurgence. 
Quote:Check out the link. It starts at the 4:24 mark.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dave-dameshek-...es-drew%22

Mojo criticizes Caldwell for getting rid of quality players like Knighton, Daryl Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Greg Jones, and replacing them with players who weren't as good.  I can't argue with him on Smith and Monroe.    However, while Knighton was a very good player,  I think Marks was/is better, and he's still playing today. I love Greg Jones, but by the time Caldwell arrived, his career was basically finished.

Being that the Jaguars roster was at a low point when Dave Caldwell became their GM,   i don't think the players he got rid of for the most part were going to be part of a long term solution.  Including,  Rashean Mathis,  who provided the Lions with very good short term value.    IMO,   the real issue is whether Caldwell made enough good personnel decisions for the team to contend for a playoff spot in the 2016 season?     Caldwell made some great acquisitions headed by 5th Rounder Telvin Smith.  But he also had some major misses and at this time the team has a huge question mark at QB.
Quote:I think it's unfair to call a first year pass rusher a bust. I don't think A Rob is bust.

I see what you are saying, but Fowler had zero flashes of being a dominant force on the Dline. As far as AR. He was either a one hit wonder, a whiney baby bc he couldn't get open, or lazy/upset with Blake bc he wax trash. I think it's a combination of all 3 scenarios.
Quote:I think it's unfair to call a first year pass rusher a bust. I don't think A Rob is bust.

I see what you are saying, but Fowler had zero flashes of being a dominant force on the Dline. As far as AR. He was either a one hit wonder, a whiney baby bc he couldn't get open, or lazy/upset with Blake bc he wax trash. I think it's a combination of all 3 scenarios.
Quote:Mojo criticizes Caldwell for getting rid of quality players like Knighton, Daryl Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Greg Jones, and replacing them with players who weren't as good. 

He left out the Broncos Pro Bowl MLB Brandon Marshall.

Quote:I see what you are saying, but Fowler had zero flashes of being a dominant force on the Dline. As far as AR. He was either a one hit wonder, a whiney baby bc he couldn't get open, or lazy/upset with Blake bc he wax trash. I think it's a combination of all 3 scenarios.

Last year A-Rob made Bortles look a lot better than he actually was, by practically killing himself to make acrobatic catches on poorly thrown passes. It could be that he's not willing to put himself at risk this year. So I think your last explanation may be the most valid one.

I totally disagree that AR was a miss as a late second round pick. Teams have been abusing him this season because they seem to know the refs are going to let them. He's still a top WR. Last year people all over were dissing TY Hilton, but just look at him this year. And yes I'm totally comparing AR to TY who I truly feel can be just as good.

What more do people expect from Malik? He has played very solid. Worth 90 million? Probably not, but he has played here just like how he did in Denver.

Quote:Being that the Jaguars roster was at a low point when Dave Caldwell became their GM, I don't think the players he got rid of for the most part were going to be part of a long term solution. Including, Rashean Mathis, who provided the Lions with very good short term value. IMO, the real issue is whether Caldwell made enough good personnel decisions for the team to contend for a playoff spot in the 2016 season? Caldwell made some great acquisitions headed by 5th Rounder Telvin Smith. But he also had some major misses and at this time the team has a huge question mark at QB.

Rashean Mathis was on the downside of his career. Mike Mularkey demoted him to nickel back. I was glad he got a second chance with the Lions (aka Jacksonville North at the time).

A CBS commentator said Telvin Smith was picked late in the draft because he weighed only 200 pounds. I don't know what his projection would have been if he was 50 pounds heavier, but he definitely plays like someone who should have been picked much earlier.

The only issue I can see in our 2016 personnel decisions by Caldwell is the offensive line. Why do we still have guys who can't run block?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6