Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jacksonville sports radio & Justin Blackmon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Over the past months and weeks, whenever Justin Blackmon was brought up, the local sports talking heads would always say that we don't know when he will come back.  The overall tone, however, was more optimistic.  We don't know, it could be a long time, but he will be back at some point.

In the past 2 weeks or so, I've noticed their tone change.  It's been more definitive in nature, saying "he won't be back... at all"

Now I know that they can't say anything for sure, but it almost appears that some "insider" people in the organization have made it appear that he won't be back, at all, at any time.

Sucks.  I've heard it from 3 different radio people now.

Apparently, he hasn't returned any of the coaches text messages or calls in the past few months.  Hence, the reason for the less than optimistic view.

I doubt they have any inside info. But why would anybody expect him to come back? He is on indefinite suspension and has given people little reason to believe he can stay clean. The team is likely planning for a future without him and I can't say I blame them.

Quote:Apparently, he hasn't returned any of the coaches text messages or calls in the past few months.  Hence, the reason for the less than optimistic view.

I'm pretty sure the coaches aren't allowed to have any contact during the suspension. If they're calling or texting him, wouldn't that violate the policy?

I wouldn't read too much into what local media is saying at this point because they don't have any insight into his future status. That will be determined by the league. Until he appeals for reinstatement, we won't know anything about where he's at in the process, and neither will the local media.
Quote:I doubt they have any inside info. But why would anybody expect him to come back? He is on indefinite suspension and has given people little reason to believe he can stay clean. The team is likely planning for a future without him and I can't say I blame them.

Just trust me, their tone has changed a lot.  I think they do know something, something they're not allowed to report.

He won't be back.
Quote:Just trust me, their tone has changed a lot.  I think they do know something, something they're not allowed to report.

He won't be back.
Trust you? Based on what exactly?

If the radio/media guys knew anything, they'd blow it up. It'd be their story to capitalize on. There are no "NFL doesn't want us to talk about this" rules with local radio stations.

Chill out. He'll be back or he won't.

My guess, and this hasn't changed for awhile, is that if he's kept clean and done all the right things, the commish will reinstate him following an 8 game suspension to start the season.

Which will equal a "full season" of suspension for his last violation. And one more slip up and he's likely out for good.

The Jags can move on thinking they won't have him, keep building the roster, and if he returns in mid season they'll have extra fire-power. If for some reason he doesn't return, for whatever reason, they've built the team as if he wasn't going to be there anyway.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.
Quote:Just trust me, their tone has changed a lot.  I think they do know something, something they're not allowed to report.

He won't be back.

I think they're just projecting the approach the team has taken here. The front office has set the tone for what you're hearing in the media.

It's a distinct possibility he won't be back. I think that all really depends on him. In the meantime, the team has to approach it as if he isn't coming back.
Quote:I think they're just projecting the approach the team has taken here. The front office has set the tone for what you're hearing in the media.

It's a distinct possibility he won't be back. I think that all really depends on him. In the meantime, the team has to approach it as if he isn't coming back.

Yep. And they have re-signed Brown, signed Doss and will likely draft at least one receiver.

The sad thing is you could tell last offseason the team was ready to make Blackmon the face of the franchise. And then he basically spit in their face, twice.
Quote:Yep. And they have re-signed Brown, signed Doss and will likely draft at least one receiver.

The sad thing is you could tell last offseason the team was ready to make Blackmon the face of the franchise. And then he basically spit in their face, twice.

It is a shame, but I don't think anything has been determined yet, so there's nothing to the tone in the media that's based on actual insight into the situation. They know less than the team does, and the team is completely unplugged from Blackmon due to the suspension.

The team has no choice but to move forward as if he's not coming back. They'd be foolish to do otherwise.

The team was stepping up his role. He couldn't handle it, and ended up suspended. Some guys just can't handle the pressure.
He'll be back.  He likes playing football, and he likes Bradley and Sullivan.  However, the suspension likely won't come off until later in the season, which is why he is seen as a luxury when he returns.  The organization has not had direct contact with him as it is not allowed.  Local reporters would blab any real tidbits on the situation, as they are not restricted in any way or fashion by the NFL. 

I've said clearly that nothing is 100%.  But when you hear them talk now vs. 2 months ago, the tone is much different.  All things are pointing to him not returning.  Not soon, not next year, but at all.

Just wanted to remind some of you who always list Blackmon when talking about WRs on this team.  He's basically done.
To me it's pretty simple. He's suspended indefinitely. Coaches aren't allowed to speak with him ( best of my knowledge). I'd love to see Blackmon back on the team as much as the next guy, but you just have to expect him not to be back anytime soon. Anything can happen, he can get reinstated this year, next year, get into trouble again and never play another down in the NFL. You don't know. All we do know is he is suspended until further notice. It's a waiting game at this point. For how long? Who knows. Just NGO about business as if you won't have him. Those who are expecting him back this year could very well be let down. Just don't get your hopes up. Hope for the best, expect the worst.
Quote:I've said clearly that nothing is 100%.  But when you hear them talk now vs. 2 months ago, the tone is much different.  All things are pointing to him not returning.  Not soon, not next year, but at all.

Just wanted to remind some of you who always list Blackmon when talking about WRs on this team.  He's basically done.

So, based on comments in the media, you've determined he's never coming back. This, despite the fact that the media has the least amount of insight into how the commissioner will rule when he applies for reinstatement, and because the team has made it clear there's nothing new to discuss until a decision is handed down.

The opinions of the least informed in this equation carry the most weight for you.

Personally, I'll take a similar approach to the team. Nothing has changed. They're preparing for the upcoming season, and they're working on the roster as if he isn't here. If he comes back, great. If he doesn't, they're not going to be blindsided.
Quote:So, based on comments in the media, you've determined he's never coming back. This, despite the fact that the media has the least amount of insight into how the commissioner will rule when he applies for reinstatement, and because the team has made it clear there's nothing new to discuss until a decision is handed down.

The opinions of the least informed in this equation carry the most weight for you.

Personally, I'll take a similar approach to the team. Nothing has changed. They're preparing for the upcoming season, and they're working on the roster as if he isn't here. If he comes back, great. If he doesn't, they're not going to be blindsided.

Lol, I listen to 1010 all the time, and don't think their tone has changed very much.  His opinion and mine are pretty different
Quote:Lol, I listen to 1010 all the time, and don't think their tone has changed very much.  His opinion and mine are pretty different

I have not noticed a change much either. I don't recall many people being optimistic he will ever be back. And why should they be.
Quote:I have not noticed a change much either. I don't recall many people being optimistic he will ever be back. And why should they be.

I've spoken on many occasions to one of the local hosts offline. We're both involved with a men's group and have gotten to know each other through this. If anyone would have insight into what's going on with the team, he'd be a good resource. Blackmon has come up in discussions, and he says basically what I have above. They know nothing. Everyone inside the organization is hoping for the best, but planning for the worst. It's all they can do.
Quote:I've spoken on many occasions to one of the local hosts offline. We're both involved with a men's group and have gotten to know each other through this. If anyone would have insight into what's going on with the team, he'd be a good resource. Blackmon has come up in discussions, and he says basically what I have above. They know nothing. Everyone inside the organization is hoping for the best, but planning for the worst. It's all they can do.

They cant talk to his agent?
Quote: 

At the risk of going all bleeding heart liberal on you...

...for many addicts, it's not really spitting in anyone's face. It's a self feeding cycle. They use to escape things they can't handle. The more they use, they create more responsibilities they cannot face, and so they use more. And the snow ball grows.

I'm not saying this is what is happening, nor am I saying he is not responsible. I'm just pointing out the possible reality of what Justin may be dealing with.
Did it ever become clear why he was out riding around in the wee hours of the morning and had a crash?   Any details on the accident?

Quote:At the risk of going all bleeding heart liberal on you...

...for many addicts, it's not really spitting in anyone's face. It's a self feeding cycle. They use to escape things they can't handle. The more they use, they create more responsibilities they cannot face, and so they use more. And the snow ball grows.

I'm not saying this is what is happening, nor am I saying he is not responsible. I'm just pointing out the possible reality of what Justin may be dealing with.

I've known addicts in the past and people with mental issues, and until that person is ready to accept responsibility they wont get better.  It's similar to losing weight, smoking, etc....

How you can mess up as many times as he has in this short of a time is pretty crazy.  He has people trying to help him, and there are many more that would jump in if they could.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8