Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Khan begins tempering fans expectations about drafting a 1st round QB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Quote:“A quarterback is by-far the No. 1 [thing to have] … that’s a key component,” Khan said. “In the meanwhile, you can’t just throw your hands up. There is story after story and Seattle and San Francisco are great examples – they had a great team and said, ‘OK, maybe there is a missing piece.’ And that’s what they worked on.”

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2014-03-25/khan-building-through-draft-still-best-strategy'>http://m.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2014-03-25/khan-building-through-draft-still-best-strategy</a>

This particular front office has been very transparent on what they have in mind. Caldwell and now Khan have cited the importance of a QB but also understand that a 1st round QB isn't the only way to build success.
At this point, anyone who thinks we are drafting a QB at 3 is just fooling themselves. It's going to be Mack, Clowney or Watkins I believe. Trade down might also happen but I have a feeling the Rams will be the ones trading down after someone gives up a ransom for Clowney.

1. Bortles

2. Clowney

3. Mack

Way too funny to think there were a billion posts about Tanking for Teddy and now that's he's going to be available we're going to pass on The Glove (not to be confused with Gary Payton).

Yeah, it's looking like Clowney, Watkins, or Mack would be the pick at 3. I really hope Teddy or Johnny take a Geno-like fall.
Quote:Yeah, it's looking like Clowney, Watkins, or Mack would be the pick at 3. I really hope Teddy or Johnny take a Geno-like fall.

I'm ok with the above.  Given Blackmon's return is looking more bleak (as I understand he is not returning the coaches texts), Watkins may be the pick.
Quote:I'm ok with the above.  Given Blackmon's return is looking more bleak (as I understand he is not returning the coaches texts), Watkins may be the pick.

They are not allowed to text him.
Quote:They are not allowed to text him.

Apparently I'm wrong. Apologies.

@vitostellino: Gus Bradley says he's texted Blackmon in offseason although not in last couple of weeks but hasn't beena ble to sit down with him.
Teddy, Mack, or Sammy.
Im kinda hoping if we dont take a QB in the 1st we wait until the 3rd. Get 2 building blocks then take your prayer shot at a QB.

Mack/Watkins (Clowney will probably be gone at 2)

OL

QB
Quote:Way too funny to think there were a billion posts about Tanking for Teddy and now that's he's going to be available we're going to pass on The Glove (not to be confused with Gary Payton).

Yes, isn't that something.   We would have tanked for someone we wound up not even wanting.   Oh, Jeesus, the arguments we had over whether we should purposely lose games for this once in a lifetime quarterback.   It was ridiculous.  
There is so much talent at the top of this draft. Do you really want a QB for the sake of having one? Hell naw. Get someone you know 100% is gonna come in and make an impact.

Quote:There is so much talent at the top of this draft. Do you really want a QB for the sake of having one? Hell naw. Get someone you know 100% is gonna come in and make an impact.

I'm coming to find out that even with what appears to be a sure thing are still not 100%.   Blackmon and Joekel seemed so safe.  Just sayin .... what if Mack is roiding up in Buffalo since nobody is paying attention to him?  What if Sammie Watkins is a stoner?  What if Clowney is just in it for the money.   So many variables anymore ....
"The Houston Texans are tanking for Teddy Bridgewater. Now that franchise GETS IT."
Quote:There is so much talent at the top of this draft. Do you really want a QB for the sake of having one? Hell naw. Get someone you know 100% is gonna come in and make an impact.

Who is saying draft a QB for the sake of it?
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2014-03-25/khan-building-through-draft-still-best-strategy'>http://m.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2014-03-25/khan-building-through-draft-still-best-strategy</a>

This particular front office has been very transparent on what they have in mind. Caldwell and now Khan have cited the importance of a QB but also understand that a 1st round QB isn't the only way to build success.
You have to have a QB worthy of a high first round grade, and I'm not sure one exists in this draft.  I don't think he's saying anything that hasn't been sufficiently flogged on this board.
Quote:"The Houston Texans are tanking for Teddy Bridgewater. Now that franchise GETS IT."
If they "get it," it would be one of the first times that would be the case for that franchise.  If they do take Bridgewater first, they're not exactly showing a stroke of genius.
Not surprised a bit - since Caldwell has mentioned the second and third rounds repeatedly for weeks now (when talking QB value with the media.)

Quote:Who is saying draft a QB for the sake of it?

Everyone who says QB is the biggest need for us and we should take one at #3.
And then they draft a QB

Of course this could all be a bluff, but he signals seem to be that we're going to wait and pick a QB in a later round (at lest that's the way I'm reading it !)

It could be a case of Caldwell playing it safe and not risking another high profile first-round failure, but I can see the sense in the idea with so many other tempting options likely to be available.

I really hope we take someone in the later rounds though, because waiting on next years draft would be massive gamble.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5