Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Opinion Thread: If the Texans trade a 2nd for Mallet and draft Clowney...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Do the Jaguars lose the AFC South offseason championship?
Do they lose what?
Quote:Do they lose what?

Fixed
Is there a trophy for that?
Quote:Is there a trophy for that?

According to TMD I wouldn't doubt it.
Quote:Do the Jaguars lose the AFC South offseason championship?

What will happen from that, should it happen, is the Jags will be perennially finishing behind the Colts and Texans for the next 5-10 years. 

Why did you bring the Mallett trade up? Has there been more rumors of that happening again? 

I can't see how the Jags could top that offseason. We could match them at QB with a Bridge or Manziel selection, but no DE we could get in FA would match/ beat Clowney, unless he truly busted in the NFL. 
I'd laugh at the Texans if they did that.  Clowney will no doubt improve their defense.  But Mallet at QB for a few years?  That would be absolutely hilarious.  Especially for a 2nd.  Patriots would be robbing them.

Quote:What will happen from that, should it happen, is the Jags will be perennially finishing behind the Colts and Texans for the next 5-10 years.

Why did you bring the Mallett trade up? Has there been more rumors of that happening again?

I can't see how the Jags could top that offseason. We could match them at QB with a Bridge or Manziel selection, but no DE we could get in FA would match/ beat Clowney, unless he truly busted in the NFL.

Quote:Texans and Patriots are reportedly in talk on a possible trade that would send Pats backup quarterback Ryan Mallet to the Texans, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/534584/20140116/nfl-trade.htm#.UtrugPUo4uo'>http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/534584/20140116/nfl-trade.htm#.UtrugPUo4uo</a>

Not sure the validity of it but take it FWIW.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/534584/20140116/nfl-trade.htm#.UtrugPUo4uo'>http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/534584/20140116/nfl-trade.htm#.UtrugPUo4uo</a>

Not sure the validity of it but take it FWIW.

Interesting....

I was probably the only person - or maybe there was one other dude on this forum - that had been calling for the Jags to trade for Mallett over the past X number of years. It was usually met with bashes and criticism and trashing of Mallett. 

Well, looks like we'll get to see just how crazy or not, I was for targeting Mallett. 

How I don't have a job in a team's front office is beyond me...

Mallet might be a really good QB, but I have seen too many people trade for back-ups only to be fleeced.  That being said, if you are behind Brady, it is a definite you are not seeing the field no matter how good or bad you are.  

Quote:Mallet might be a really good QB, but I have seen too many people trade for back-ups only to be fleeced.  That being said, if you are behind Brady, it is a definite you are not seeing the field no matter how good or bad you are.  

oh please, the only time they got fleeced was when they traded for obvious crap to begin with, i,e. Cassel and AJ Feeley. 

The Brunell, Hasselbeck. Steve Young and even Schaub trades produced good QB results for the teams trading for them. Schaub's play only recently fell off a cliff, and that could be due to incremental injury issues over the years finally catching up. 

Trade the 33rd overall pick for Mallet?

rofl

That would be great news for the Jags.  Colts give up a 1st rounder for Trent, Texans give up an almost 1st rounder for Ryan freakin Mallet.

I can see the guy throwing 20+ picks next year, including 3-4 for TDs next year if he starts every game.

Quote:oh please, the only time they got fleeced was when they traded for obvious crap to begin with, i,e. Cassel and AJ Feeley. 

The Brunell, Hasselbeck. Steve Young and even Schaub trades produced good QB results for the teams trading for them. Schaub's play only recently fell off a cliff, and that could be due to incremental injury issues over the years finally catching up. 
I was thinking Scott Mitchell, Rob Johnson, Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Aaron Brooks, Jeff Lewis.  Oh, and Cassel led his team to a 11-5 record, which is to say, that teams had an entire season of tape to evaluate, which is MUCH more than they have on Mallet which is just preseason games.  Brunell, Hasselbeck and Schaub were all good pick-ups, but I don't think anyone could rate them as anything higher than good (possibly really good) QBs.  Young I will give you, and you forgot about Favre.
Mallet has 1 year left on his contract.  If you're going to trade for him, you shouldn't use a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder for him, because you'll have to end up signing him for FA money anyway.

Trading a 4th or so would be alright if you believe in him, but to think he's some special talent worthy of a 2nd rounder is crazy.

Quote:Mallet might be a really good QB, but I have seen too many people trade for back-ups only to be fleeced.  That being said, if you are behind Brady, it is a definite you are not seeing the field no matter how good or bad you are.  

Related to your thoughts,  if Bill Belichick truly thinks Ryan Mallett is the Patriots long term answer at QB,  he's going nowhere.   I'll be surprised if Belichick views Mallett along these lines.  Belichick likely would jump at the opportunity to get pick # 33 of the 2014 Draft for Mallett.   Especially with Mallett only a year away from becoming an UFA.   With the pick # 33 draft resource,  the Patriots would have a better chance of getting in place a QB that they can develop into potentially their eventual starter.   They would certainly have more flexibility to manuever in the draft.   
Quote: Related to your thoughts,  if Bill Belichick truly thinks Ryan Mallett is the Patriots long term answer at QB,  he's going nowhere.   I'll be surprised if Belichick views Mallett along these lines.  Belichick likely would jump at the opportunity to get pick # 33 of the 2014 Draft for Mallett.   Especially with Mallett only a year away from becoming an UFA.   With the pick # 33 draft resource,  the Patriots would have a better chance of getting in place a QB that they can develop into potentially their eventual starter.   They would certainly have more flexibility to manuever in the draft.   

Really good point.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Houston does it, since they had success with the Schaub trade.
Quote:Trade the 33rd overall pick for Mallet?

rofl

That would be great news for the Jags.  Colts give up a 1st rounder for Trent, Texans give up an almost 1st rounder for Ryan freakin Mallet.

I can see the guy throwing 20+ picks next year, including 3-4 for TDs next year if he starts every game.

The above is [BLEEP]....what amongst Ryan Mallett's college career footage, suggests he'll be that bad as a starter in the pro's?? :wacko: 

Thats nothing but blind wishful thinking. 

Quote:I was thinking Scott Mitchell, Rob Johnson, Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Aaron Brooks, Jeff Lewis.  Oh, and Cassel led his team to a 11-5 record, which is to say, that teams had an entire season of tape to evaluate, which is MUCH more than they have on Mallet which is just preseason games.  Brunell, Hasselbeck and Schaub were all good pick-ups, but I don't think anyone could rate them as anything higher than good (possibly really good) QBs.  Young I will give you, and you forgot about Favre.

Yes, and as said, among those first 6 you mentioned, few thought they were any good to begin with. I know I never thought those 6 were anything worth trading for. Thats why I mentioned QB like Brunell, Hasselbeck, et al, they were seen by me as worth it, as is Mallett. 
Quote:Really good point.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Houston does it, since they had success with the Schaub trade.

Thank you.

Interesting,  there's news out of Houston today that the Texans fired their Director of Pro Personnel and a Pro Scout who was considered their 3rd ranking player personnel executive.    How this impacts the Texans mindset moving forward remains to be seen.   But it can be concluded that either the Texans upper brass wasn't satisfied with their work and/ or they weren't on the same page regarding key pro player evaluations.   Maybe they had a different opinion on Ryan Mallett than the remaining team brass.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...top-scout/
Quote:Thank you.

Interesting,  there's news out of Houston today that the Texans fired their Director of Pro Personnel and a Pro Scout who was considered their 3rd ranking player personnel executive.    How this impacts the Texans mindset moving forward remains to be seen.   But it can be concluded that either the Texans upper brass wasn't satisfied with their work and/ or they weren't on the same page regarding key pro player evaluations.   Maybe they had a different opinion on Ryan Mallett than the remaining team brass.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...top-scout/

Jax should try to add the top scout that was fired....lets face it, the Texans have drafted well, their roster isn't the main issue. 
Only thing we lose is the opportunity to trade for leftwich minus the wind up
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5