Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Life Advice tips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Simple things that people should know you might have learned the hard way.

I'll start with a simple one I learned today;

when replacing a sinks garbage disposal make sure you remove the drain plug on the inside of the disposals discharge line, or else your dishwasher will fill up and overflow..........

Get money.
Quote:Get money.

sir the point is tips other people might not know about, gosh!
My tip is don't have a garbage disposal. Throw your garbage away. Sewers aren't meant to carry garbage...Seriously...

Butter knives do NOT go in wall sockets.
Anyone have any ideas on what to do with used cooking oil? I use it as many times as we can when we fry stuff but hate throwing it out. Don't know anyone with a bio-diesel or anything, gotta be something that stuff can be used for....

Do not stand in a bed of fire ants.
A cotton ball soaked in white vinegar when applied to a fresh bruise will reduce the darkness of the bruise and help it disappear sooner.

At all times, keep mouth closed when not in use.  Like when you're down on your hands and knees pulling weeds, close your mouth.   Or when you are walking down the street, close your mouth.    

Take 2 advil and chug 32oz of water before going to bed if you partied a lot that night.

Quote:Do not stand in a bed of fire ants.

Do not go to bed with fire ants.  Sure, they may be pretty hot with that hour glass shape they have, but they'll sting ya in the long run.
Don't try to hand-feed an alligator a Quarter Pounder with cheese. They're lactose intolerant, and they prefer Whoppers.
Don't try to win an argument with your spouse or girlfriend if you're both hammered.

Don't kill someone then think you can cover up the blood stains by painting the wall.

Quote:Don't try to win an argument with your spouse or girlfriend if you're both hammered.

You could have simply stopped right there. 

Quote:You could have simply stopped right there. 

ha !! .... you got that right !!
Know the rule of 72.

72/interest rate = # years it takes for your money to double.

If your employer offers any kind of a 401K/deferred compensation match, get every cent you can...it's free money.

Buy one Jaguars jersey and have your own name put on it. You aren't going to get cut by the team. Put the money you would have wasted on the other shirts into your Roth IRA .

Work someplace you enjoy with people you like.

Don't smoke- do the $$ math. Put it into your Roth instead.

Quote:Know the rule of 72.

If your employer offers any kind of a 401K/deferred compensation match, get every cent you can...it's free money.

Buy one Jaguars jersey and have your own name put on it. You aren't going to get cut by the team. Put the money you would have wasted on the other shirts into your Roth IRA .

In this economy....#2 & #4 aren't easy....
Quote:Know the rule of 72.

All good stuff.. Same stuff I learned in my Personal Finance classes back in college..

Opportunity Costs ftw!
Speaking of 401k's, don't be afraid to borrow against it if you absolutely need to. Most times, you'll have 5 years to pay it back without penalty, and most of the time, the fees that you DO have to pay, go directly back into your 401k..

Payback can be simple if you're currently employed as they garnish your paycheck over a stretch of pay periods.

Also avoid borrowing from your 401k when unemployed, that's when they try to hit ya with massive penalties and fees..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5