Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Brandon Allen - Should he start at least one game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Do we see what we have in the rookie, or do we give Bortles more time to be able to evaluate him fully?

Give the rook a view.  The staff has had 3 years to evaluate Bortles...they know now what they have.

Personally, I think the book on Bortles is pretty close to complete. The 'not a natural thrower of the football' comment unfortunately sums him up completely, and that's something that is kind of important for a QB. I really think we should give Allen a shot in one of the last 4 games. Season is a disaster so there is nothing to lose, which makes it an ideal time to evaluate for the future. I wouldn't throw him in this week at Minny, but give him a shot at the division teams. Who knows? Maybe something good could happen. If not, what have we lost?

Quote:Personally, I think the book on Bortles is pretty close to complete. The 'not a natural thrower of the football' comment unfortunately sums him up completely, and that's something that is kind of important for a QB. I really think we should give Allen a shot in one of the last 4 games. Season is a disaster so there is nothing to lose, which makes it an ideal time to evaluate for the future. I wouldn't throw him in this week at Minny, but give him a shot at the division teams. Who knows? Maybe something good could happen. If not, what have we lost?

So what if Allen isn't ready to play?  You just throw him into the fire?  We've already thrown our last two 'franchise quarterbacks' into the fire too early.  I'd rather they wait until training camp next year.  The guy looked in no way ready to play in the NFL in pre-season and I doubt he's gotten any meaningful reps in practice.  You don't risk screwing him up just because Bortles sucks. 
Quote:So what if Allen isn't ready to play?  You just throw him into the fire?  We've already thrown our last two 'franchise quarterbacks' into the fire too early.  I'd rather they wait until training camp next year.  The guy looked in no way ready to play in the NFL in pre-season and I doubt he's gotten any meaningful reps in practice.  You don't risk screwing him up just because Bortles sucks.

You definitely have a good point, but I feel the reward outweighs the risk. A chance to see what we have in the rookie in real NFL game situations. Difficult to fully evaluate him playing with backups against backups in preseason. Personally, i would have low expectations for him, and I feel most jaguars fans would feel the same. If he shows he's not ready then fine, back to the bench and the developmental role, with a bit of real experience to learn from. If, on the small chance that he shows himself to be at least semi-capable, he will have played himself into the QB conversation for next year, and at least make the jags more comfortable about moving on from Henne as backup. If by some miracle he looks more than capable, happy days, we have our new QB. Worst case scenario: he's not ready, he goes back to the bench for more development. Even that situation could hopefully light a bit of fire under Bortles.
I've been an advocate for this all along. I want to see what we have. Right now, Allen is a complete unknown. It's hard to come up with a plan for the future, when you don't know what you have right now. 

I wanna see what Allen can do. We can have a hidden Gem. Give him 2 games with the starters.
I'm kind of on the fence with it. On the one hand, I'm tired of seeing the trash that Bortles has to offer. On the other hand, I trust the coaches evaluation of QB depth in regards to saying Bortles is the best of the bunch. I think the coaching staff is full of a bunch of idiots but I don't think they are dumb enough to bench someone with more talent than Bortles (Allen).

No. It has to say something about Allen, and Henne for that matter that the decision was never made to go with either one of them when BB5 was/is playing at historically bad levels. Either more inept coaching or both of those two must suck bad, which is on Caldwell.

You have to let BB5 finish the swim, or sink. I personally hope he can light it up the rest of the way. I don't have much confidence that he will but I would sure like to see the offense see some success to end the year.

Byron

Blaine

Blake

Brandon

I'm not sure the B curse goes away just because he wasn't drafted in the 1st round.
Unless Gus is trying to prove a point, I don't see it happening.

Personally I'd like to see Allen start the last four games, but I'll settle for at least one.

Starting Allen over Bortles is admitting failure.  It ain't gonna happen.

Quote:Starting Allen over Bortles is admitting failure.  It ain't gonna happen.
They could cover it by stating that his shoulder injury brought about the switch but yeah, that would be only for the public perception.
Quote:Starting Allen over Bortles is admitting failure.  It ain't gonna happen.

Or else it's admitting that Blake's arm is shot and he needs to rest it for next year's all-out qb competition.

If they said they were resting his shoulder...would you believe them?

Plus, Bradley couldn't care less what Allen can do in a game.  He already knows he's not going to be the HC next year.

Quote:If they said they were resting his shoulder...would you believe them?

Plus, Bradley couldn't care less what Allen can do in a game.  He already knows he's not going to be the HC next year.
BB5 definitely has a shoulder injury. It is quite obvious as he is seen wincing in pain quite often during the games. I already lean towards the notion it is impacting his accuracy big time. As far as Gus, yeah absolutely.
I'm not doubting that BB5 is actually playing with pain...most players are playing with pain.

Needs to start the last 4 games.  It's hard to evaluate other offensive positions with really bad QB play.  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8