Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Does Bortles get next year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Or will he be replaced? What you all think.
You will be very limited on HC's who want to be stuck with Dave and Bortles. I think he gets replaced as the starter but will likely still get to compete at camp. They accomplish nothing cutting him and if they could get a 3rd or 4th for him right now, I'd take it.

I think he gets next year to redeem himself. But I also think they bring in stronger competition. His job won't be handed to him anymore.

One question is will be Jaguars pick up Blake Bortles' 5th year option by the May, 2017 deadline?  

The answer could easily be tied into whether Dave Caldwell is still the Jaguars GM.

Quote:I think he gets next year to redeem himself. But I also think they bring in stronger competition. His job won't be handed to him anymore.

This more likely than not will be what happens.
He will come in as the starter, getting good QBs are not easy, he has all the talent, he needs to be coached right. Coaches always believe they can fix a player, of course new coach will bring in somebody to compete with him. 

Gabbert was way worst then Blake and he got the chance to start with new coaches. 

The competition (or lack thereof) will be strongly dependent on whether the new coach (and new GM?) think Bortles even CAN be it.

If you see a move for a guy like Cutler, Romo, Cousins, Jimmy G... they want to move on.

If you see a guy like Hoyer brought in, they want Bortles to succeed but he'll be limited in the number of pick 6s allowed before being pulled.

If the dude can somehow fix his mechanical issues...

with the right coaching Bortles could be a starting QB.

But man... it doesn't look good.

If Caldwell handcuffs the next coach to Bortles... Well I just don't know.

Quote:One question is will be Jaguars pick up Blake Bortles' 5th year option by the May, 2017 deadline?  

The answer could easily be tied into whether Dave Caldwell is still the Jaguars GM.
I'm gonna say no.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they did trying to show "faith" in "their guy".
He will get another year but they will bring in someone to compete. If I'm Bortles, I work my tail off harder than I ever have this offseason. Teams are throwing out $100M dollar contracts and he squandered that. If that doesn't motivate you, I don't know what will.

Caldwell is smarter than that.

He will keep the door open for whatever could be best. If a candidate says "Hey Dave, Blake will potentially ruin my chances. Let's try bringing in a new guy to compete, then I want a window of opportunity past that when we may or may not have to draft a rookie in 2018" ... he'd agree. Simple terms and understandable.

I think Blake gets a chance to compete only next year, but don't be surprised if we see the Gabbert/Henne thing happen, where Gabbert won the "competition" then played like hot Florida trash ... thus revealing what he is.
If Bortles and Dave are still here, we shouldn't be allowed to be very critical of the HC hiring because nobody will know the ins and outs of guys who may have been legit candidates but wanted a new GM and QB.

Yeah, he's under contract, and Shad Khan loves to keep his personnel till the contract expires. Gus will be back also.
Quote:I'm gonna say no.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they did trying to show "faith" in "their guy".

The Jaguars salary cap situation gives the team flexibility regarding using the 5th Year option.   Yet,  it's a tough call on many levels.

On one hand,  I can see the Jaguars going with the faith/ displaying confidence approach.   But it wouldn't shock me if they go with the get your butt in gear approach,  basically challenging Bortles to step up in 2017 or the Jaguars are moving on in 2018.
Quote:Yeah, he's under contract, and Shad Khan loves to keep his personnel till the contract expires. Gus will be back also.
Smoking bath salts now Raiders fan?
Quote:I think he gets next year to redeem himself. But I also think they bring in stronger competition. His job won't be handed to him anymore.

This
Quote:Yeah, he's under contract, and Shad Khan loves to keep his personnel till the contract expires. Gus will be back also.

Uhhhh, no
If the question is interpreted to be "Does Bortles get an opportunity to win the starting job next year?" I'd say yes. If the question is interpreted to be "Does Bortles get the job next year regardless of how he plays?" then no.

He will be on the team next year, but there will be no fifth year option and there will be legitimate competition that will force him to show he is the future of this team. At least that is what I'd do.

BB5 will be here and allowed to compete. That is about all that can be said. No one in their right mind would go into another season with him as the sole hope for a starting QB after witnessing his meltdown this year. If there is not some type of injury that has not been fully disclosed that is impacting his accuracy there is zero option but to say he is basically terrible at the position. Wallbash That sucks bad for us as it is now another unknown that will have to be addressed either free agency or the draft. :verymad:

He will get another chance, but I expect he will be on a very short leash.

This is pretty much where I'm at with Bortles.  They're not cutting him, and they aren't going to bench him without bringing in some legitimate competition to push him.  Henne and Allen aren't legitimate competition.  They're seat warmers.  I would expect to the the team look into someone like McCarron and  have an open competition for the starting gig during the off season.  I think Bortles needs that pressure.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5