Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Good Article on Cap Situation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
And how the Eugene Monroe trade pertains to our cap going forward:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Dead...um=twitter
To sum it up, Caldwell created all this dead money but saved the team longer term by "cutting the fat". Those free agents that he cut/traded created the dead money but they would've been grossly overpaid considering their ineffectiveness (Robinson/Monroe/etc.).

The 2014 cap will have much less dead money and tons of available room to do whatever caldwell deems needed. Enough to sign a couple of our stars this year that are under 1 year deals and get a couple F/A's. I'd love to have Marks, Blackmon, Ball, Paztor, all back under standard 2-3 year deals.

...along with Jones-Drew.

Interesting salary to bonus conversion on Monroe to facilitate his trade to the Ravens. Did not know that they were able to do this conversion.
One thing I've never seen addressed, is that some teams employ a "capologist" who works the cap for the GM. I've never seen whether Caldwell acts as his own capologist. 

Quote:One thing I've never seen addressed, is that some teams employ a "capologist" who works the cap for the GM. I've never seen whether Caldwell acts as his own capologist. 
Paul Vance was the Jags well known long time capologist, but he was let go last year and Sashi Brown was hired to be the new one. 
Quote:And how the Eugene Monroe trade pertains to our cap going forward:

Thanks for posting.  Great article.
Quote:Paul Vance was the Jags well known long time capologist, but he was let go last year and Sashi Brown was hired to be the new one. 

.... you can take down your video now ....bridgewater is not coming here.
Thanks. Really informative post.

Quote:And how the Eugene Monroe trade pertains to our cap going forward:

Good find.  :thanks:

I really loved reading this:

Quote:Jacksonville will be in great shape with the salary cap in 2014.   The 46 players under contract next year are taking up $88,175,974 of cap space and the Jaguars can carryover slightly more than $20 million of unused cap room.   With a $125 million salary cap, the Jaguars should have in excess of $50 million in cap room when the 2014 league year starts on March 11.

This team could really get a whole lot better this  coming offseason. 
Quote: 

Good find.  :thanks:

I really loved reading this:

<div> 
This team could really get a whole lot better this  coming offseason. 

</div>

I just pray that if they spend - do so on actual top flight talent....

meaning less overpay for the Landry's/ Sessions/ Pashos of the world and if you are going to overpay - do so to get the Julius Pepper types here. Overpaying for good/ great I have no problem with. Overpaying for "average" I have a major problem with. 
Quote:I just pray that if they spend - do so on actual top flight talent....

meaning less overpay for the Landry's/ Sessions/ Pashos of the world and if you are going to overpay - do so to get the Julius Pepper types here. Overpaying for good/ great I have no problem with. Overpaying for "average" I have a major problem with. 
While I don't necessarily share your concern about FA going wrong  -  we will learn a lot more about Caldwell in this FA period since there is possibility of him spending bigger on an individual player (or two) this time around.

I feel fairly confident he'll do much better than past GM's have done here.  Will be interesting to see. 
Orakpo anyone?
Quote:Orakpo anyone?
He might be good for 10-12 sacks as a LEO.  The question is - what is that worth?  Something tells me he'll get more than what he's worth elsewhere. 
Quote:While I don't necessarily share your concern about FA going wrong  -  we will learn a lot more about Caldwell in this FA period since there is possibility of him spending bigger on an individual player (or two) this time around.

I feel fairly confident he'll do much better than past GM's have done here.  Will be interesting to see. 

My point is - you can or should be able to get "average" with low priced FA, as proven by the Marks signing. (you could even say Marks has given us above average, but you get my point). 

If the Jags are going to spend big money - do so on players of bigger impact than the Pashos/ Session/ Landry's of the world, because you can get that type cheaper. 
Quote:Orakpo anyone?

Quote:He might be good for 10-12 sacks as a LEO.  The question is - what is that worth?  Something tells me he'll get more than what he's worth elsewhere. 

Well, at least Orakpo would represent the type of player I wouldn't mind spending on. 12 QB sacks a year is top 5 QB sack numbers for the conference. 
Quote:Well, at least Orakpo would represent the type of player I wouldn't mind spending on. 12 QB sacks a year is top 5 QB sack numbers for the conference. 

For sure.  I just think someone is going to throw 80+ million for 5 years at him and outbid the Jags.  (Mario Williams got 96 mil for 6 years)    Something tells me that Caldwell will be slightly more reasonable.  I could, of course,  be wrong.  That's why I think this offseason will be so interesting - we get to see a lot more of Caldwell's philosophy employed. 
Quote:For sure.  I just think someone is going to throw 80+ million for 5 years at him and outbid the Jags.  (Mario Williams got 96 mil for 6 years)    Something tells me that Caldwell will be slightly more reasonable.  I could, of course,  be wrong.  That's why I think this offseason will be so interesting - we get to see a lot more of Caldwell's philosophy employed. 

While I do not think the "expensive" high profile FA is going to be a "staple" of the Caldwell era as GM, I could absolutely see one or 2 "statement" signings, per se. Sort of to fill 2 purposes - to show the fans and other players around the league that Jacksonville indeed is serious about getting back on the football map, and 2. simply - a player like Orakpo would fill a need and do so in a significant manner at a premium position. 

Alex Mack please

Quote:While I do not think the "expensive" high profile FA is going to be a "staple" of the Caldwell era as GM, I could absolutely see one or 2 "statement" signings, per se. Sort of to fill 2 purposes - to show the fans and other players around the league that Jacksonville indeed is serious about getting back on the football map, and 2. simply - a player like Orakpo would fill a need and do so in a significant manner at a premium position. 
Could be - and I'd have no gripe with that. Caldwell is primed to do so, if there's a worthy player in his eyes.  Hitting on a big FA signing would be great for the organization on a number of levels. (as you implied) Might even help get a few more fans in the stadium on Sundays.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4