Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Open your eyes (David Caldwell & Gus Bradley aren't going anywhere)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It's been evident to me from day 1 the Jaguars brass has had their eyes on the 2014 NFL season as the true rebuilding year, this was the right approach for multiple reasons. David Caldwell along with the other decision makers in the Jaguars FO recognized the elite QB prospects in the 2014 NFL draft, two of the draft eligible QB’s (Teddy Bridgewater & Marcus Mariota if he declares) will have two of the highest grades for a QB in the last 10 years, both are instant game changers at the position and can change the fortunes of a franchise (on and off the field) for 10-15 years.

Finding a franchise QB is the most effective way to expedite a rebuilding process, David Caldwell witnessed this first hand in Indianapolis and Atlanta. There's not a doubt in my mind that both Caldwell & Bradley knew (prior to the season) neither Blaine Gabbert nor Chad Henne were long term solutions at the position, there wasn't a long term solution in the draft or FA either, so it wouldn't have made sense to waste a draft pick on a QB. It was reported after the 2013 draft that the Jaguars brass was ecstatic when the Bills & Jets used high draft picks on QB's, effectively taking them out of the 2014 QB market, this organization knew it wouldn't be competitive in 2013 (this is why David Caldwell and Gus Bradley won't be on the hot seat) and has been positioning itself to draft a game changing face of the franchise in 2014. I'm not a fan of tanking, but if there is a year to be bad, this is the year, and if you're going to be bad, be bad enough to position yourself to find a franchise QB.

The Jaguars (Imo) weren't the only team that took this approach, I believe the Raiders & Browns brass had their eyes on the 2014 draft as well, and tried to position themselves accordingly. Carson Palmer isn't elite, but he's light years better than Matt Flynn (who they've since released), if the Raiders truly wanted to be competitive in 2013 Palmer would've been their starting QB. The Browns drafted Trent Richardson 3rd overall last year, he was traded to Indianapolis (Cleveland got the better end of that deal) after the Browns started their season with an 0-2 record, Josh Gordon was also on the trading block, it makes no sense to trade young talented players if the ultimate goal is to compete, the problem for both of those organizations is they’re both talented enough to win 5-7 games.

This is a QB driven league; the only way to contend year after year is to have a guy under-center that makes everyone else around him better. The Jaguars finally have a chance to get their guy, so please drop your pitchforks, open your eyes and recognize that this season was never about wins and losses, the incomprehensible damage that was done to this roster over the past 4-5 years is mind boggling, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This team has tons of cap space and draft picks, and we’re not that far away from competing because of it.
Thats all fine & good.....

Nothing you said above means that they have been doing a good job so far and will ultimately start doing a good job. 

The coach seems too nice and too much interested in being the players buddy than their boss, and the GM seems over his head. 

Obviously its early and they can improve but early returns on this are not good. 

Quote:Thats all fine & good.....

Nothing you said above means that they have been doing a good job so far and will ultimately start doing a good job. 

The coach seems too nice and too much interested in being the players buddy than their boss, and the GM seems over his head. 

Obviously its early and they can improve but early returns on this are not good. 

I don't believe we can judge DC or GB at this point, it's way too early, and it's obvious this organization has been targeting the 2014 season.
Quote:I don't believe we can judge DC or GB at this point, it's way too early, and it's obvious this organization has been targeting the 2014 season.

Honest question:

In your opinion, when can we begin judging Gus and Dave then?

Quote:Honest question:

In your opinion, when can we begin judging Gus and Dave then?

After next year.

Quote:It's been evident to me from day 1 the Jaguars brass has had their eyes on the 2014 NFL season as the true rebuilding year, this was the right approach for multiple reasons. David Caldwell along with the other decision makers in the Jaguars FO recognized the elite QB prospects in the 2014 NFL draft, two of the draft eligible QB’s (Teddy Bridgewater & Marcus Mariota if he declares) will have two of the highest grades for a QB in the last 10 years, both are instant game changers at the position and can change the fortunes of a franchise (on and off the field) for 10-15 years.

Finding a franchise QB is the most effective way to expedite a rebuilding process, David Caldwell witnessed this first hand in Indianapolis and Atlanta. There's not a doubt in my mind that both Caldwell & Bradley knew (prior to the season) neither Blaine Gabbert nor Chad Henne were long term solutions at the position, there wasn't a long term solution in the draft or FA either, so it wouldn't have made sense to waste a draft pick on a QB. It was reported after the 2013 draft that the Jaguars brass was ecstatic when the Bills & Jets used high draft picks on QB's, effectively taking them out of the 2014 QB market, this organization knew it wouldn't be competitive in 2013 (this is why David Caldwell and Gus Bradley won't be on the hot seat) and has been positioning itself to draft a game changing face of the franchise in 2014. I'm not a fan of tanking, but if there is a year to be bad, this is the year, and if you're going to be bad, be bad enough to position yourself to find a franchise QB.

The Jaguars (Imo) weren't the only team that took this approach, I believe the Raiders & Browns brass had their eyes on the 2014 draft as well, and tried to position themselves accordingly. Carson Palmer isn't elite, but he's light years better than Matt Flynn (who they've since released), if the Raiders truly wanted to be competitive in 2013 Palmer would've been their starting QB. The Browns drafted Trent Richardson 3rd overall last year, he was traded to Indianapolis (Cleveland got the better end of that deal) after the Browns started their season with an 0-2 record, Josh Gordon was also on the trading block, it makes no sense to trade young talented players if the ultimate goal is to compete, the problem for both of those organizations is they’re both talented enough to win 5-7 games.

This is a QB driven league; the only way to contend year after year is to have a guy under-center that makes everyone else around him better. The Jaguars finally have a chance to get their guy, so please drop your pitchforks, open your eyes and recognize that this season was never about wins and losses, the incomprehensible damage that was done to this roster over the past 4-5 years is mind boggling, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This team has tons of cap space and draft picks, and we’re not that far away from competing because of it.
What if we dont draft one of those QBs ?

Abre los ojos!

The coach just kills himself trying to get everyone to love him.  He should take a few lessons from Coughlin.

You can judge them whenever you want. Your Judgement doesn't have to be set in stone though. You can say "hey they stink" now and then next year, "wow... some of those picks and players are actually working out".

Its a fluid situation yall

I'm pretty sure my eyes have been open since the draft concerning the new regime.  Heck, taking a LT at #2 set the alarm off in my head that these guys were gonna' cook this thing low and slow. 

Add to that Khan and Caldwell's repeated comments about patience and building through the draft and I'm not sure how anyone could have thought otherwise. 

Just for fun let's factor in the fact that all of the following were sent packing:

Mosley, Cox, Landry, Lowery* , Monroe* , Robinson, Asper, Baldridge, Blake* , Bosworth, Britton, Cain , Clemons, Elliot, C. Harris, J Jackson, Jennings, Jones, Jones, Lane Mathis, Molden , Morgan , Murphy, Owens ,Parmele , Pendleton, Potter , Ross,  Middleton, Selvie, Shipley, DA Smith* ,  D Smith, Spurlock, Stanback, Stoveall - H Taylor, Toston, Vallos, Whimper

That's 41 players that spent a significant period of time on the 53 man roster in 2012  -  GONE

<b> </b> That's a MAJOR gutting.  Forgive the  over used construction metaphor - but - These guys removed all of the rotted wood - jack-hammered the foundation and started pouring a new one.  They haven't even started framing the house yet.

* denotes players released or traded after reg season had begun

Quote:The coach just kills himself trying to get everyone to love him.  He should take a few lessons from Coughlin.
i disagree, this is a beaten downtroden team that has had it's head kicked in for the last two years and you don't kick a guy when they are down. The way to get someones respect is to be there when they are down and then when they are up there is some loyalty to you. Then when your harsh they believe your doing it for their own good

His attitude has got the players to follow him and if anything he has the locker room with him unlike schiano who has lost it.

I don't think caldwell or bradley expected it to be this bad this season but now it is the bradley enthusiasm will keep the rookie heads up through what is likely to be a winless season and create a team unity. When you have a core unit of players that are bonded together thinking the same way and you start to build on it they help keep that ethos.

As for caldwell, i can understand the complaints about losing smith, jones and monroe. I understand the complaints but i think they were the right calls, as was the way he is building. by removing the old average and injury prone and creating a core of young fast players

That being said there are too many gaps for one offseason. We have a big offseason coming and i will judge him this time next year as to whether he made the right calls
I find it funny that people are bashing Caldwell and Bradley about this 0-8 team. It's usually the same ones we all laugh and point at.

That said, I do hope these people soon realize that this is going to take a little time, and there is no way these 2 are getting fired after this season, even if they go 0-16. A rebuild is a process. Losing makes people stimey. I get it. But those people also have to realize that this isn't an instant process.

After the 2014 offseason is when we can accurately grade Caldwell & Bradley.

Quote:It's been evident to me from day 1 the Jaguars brass has had their eyes on the 2014 NFL season as the true rebuilding year, this was the right approach for multiple reasons. David Caldwell along with the other decision makers in the Jaguars FO recognized the elite QB prospects in the 2014 NFL draft, two of the draft eligible QB’s (Teddy Bridgewater & Marcus Mariota if he declares) will have two of the highest grades for a QB in the last 10 years, both are instant game changers at the position and can change the fortunes of a franchise (on and off the field) for 10-15 years.

INSERT GENE SMITH HERE.  Even Gene Smith knew we needed a franshise QB so what is new?  We waited for our QB, we passed on some free agents.  We got our QB.  Gene Smith still screwed everything up.  The philosophy is common ... like GM101 class.  Now let's make it work.
Quote:The coach just kills himself trying to get everyone to love him.  He should take a few lessons from Coughlin.

I agree. Or Parcells, Harbaugh, Jimmy Johnson, etc etc. 

Taking the Wade Phillips approach rarely works out. 
I find it funny when people say that Bradley is only a rah-rah coach just because players like playing for him. He's a good football coach, not just a motivator.

Quote:I find it funny when people say that Bradley is only a rah-rah coach just because players like playing for him. He's a good football coach, not just a motivator

Yeah, it shows.....the results are astounding....

what if i keep my eyes closed?

anyways no one expected them to be gone after 1 season, we are just disappointed with the week to week progress or in our case lack there of. so inconsistent so far. 

Quote:I find it funny when people say that Bradley is only a rah-rah coach just because players like playing for him. He's a good football coach, not just a motivator.

Simply opinion until results back up your claim.

Look, I don't think anyone hates Gus. I've got a few issues with his style, but if it was apparent that he was getting the most out of his players on a consistent basis, I'd be the first one defending the guy. 0-8 and being noncompetitive each time, including getting embarrassed in London (prob our best chance to get a ton of new fans behind us) is hard to rationalize, even for fanatic followers of the DC/GB/SK dive team.

Tommy, I hope that this plan of jettisoning talent, stockpiling late round picks, and tanking works. If it doesn't and we're still bottom feeders in 4 years...never mind, I don't even want to think about it.
Quote:Yeah, it shows.....the results are astounding....

Laughing
Quote:I find it funny when people say that Bradley is only a rah-rah coach just because players like playing for him. He's a good football coach, not just a motivator.
Man you are a jagur homer through and through.

The issue is not being positive.

The issue is the Qb throws a pick 6 and he's on the sideline patting him on the back and telling him good effort.  Head coaches got to be tough at times.  This tony robbins thing is getting old
Pages: 1 2 3 4