Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What Will The Warning Signs Be From Caldwell If He's Not The Answer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
If Caldwell isn't our answer and doesn't field us a competitor, what will the first warning signs be?

I really didn't get to follow Shack Harris because I was so young, and when I finally started paying attention I got to watch... Gene Smith. So, what will the first signs be that Caldwell won't be successful? (Except for the obvious, hitting on draft picks)
The first sign has already happened.... he traded away our LT hours before his replacement went down....

Quote:The first sign has already happened.... he traded away our LT hours before his replacement went down....
Pssh ok. Because all general managers know when season-ending injuries occur and deliberately structure trades around them.
Quote:The first sign has already happened.... he traded away our LT hours before his replacement went down....
Didn't know he could foresee injuries.
I was disappointed with the Monroe trade because of what I percieve as a lack of due dilligence.  I think his drafting and some of the free agent pickups we acquired are solid.

The big thing will be if he hits on our first round pick.  If he hits, he will be a genius.  If the first round pick is a bust, he'll not be long for GM.  It really comes down to that.

And he got two draft picks for a player he wasn't going to resign next year...

Yup. Our next GM should have the power to see into the future. We'll bring free agents to Jacksonville by promising them next week's winning lottery numbers as part of the deal.
If he drafts the wrong QB. We won't know for a few years but so far the only thing I didn't like about his first draft is he only took one lineman. If it's because no one worthwhile was available and the guys he took turn out to be good players then that will be fine.

We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:If he drafts the wrong QB. We won't know for a few years but so far the only thing I didn't like about his first draft is he only took one lineman. If it's because no one worthwhile was available and the guys he took turn out to be good players then that will be fine.

We'll have to wait and see.
There was a pretty big drop-off after the top 3 tackles and guards. 2014 however, is a totally different story. A Google search will show you that 2014 is one of the deepest OL drafts we've ever seen.
I think we'll know by the end of the offseason.   If we don't get a few reputable free agents to solidify the Oline, then we may have a problem.   We need to balance the draft with free agency and sometimes overpay a little to get exceptional production.  I think the safest move is someone like Alex Mack (Center).  That's a position we NEED and he could be the director/leader of the Oline for the next 7 years.

If Caldwell drafts 4 defensive linemen with our first 4 selections and 3 of them are not from BCS schools --- we have a problem.

If next year the teams not competitive.

If he fails to address the o-line in FA and the draft i will start to worry. I was a bit concerned over the losses of so many vets but given how his mid lvl FAs have played (Will Blackmon over Cox, Marks over Knighton, etc ) and the rookies (Cyprien over Landry, Joeckel over Bradfield/Whimper/anyone,Gratz and Sanders showing flashes)

I actually think he has done very well so far. The biggest detriments to the team (AluAlu,Branch,Gabbert,bad contracts, lack of defensive line ) are all on the previous regime.

Also finding a suitable RB would be a plus. If he doesnt just yet i wont hold it against him us Jags have been lucky to get Freddy T and MJD back to back.

Quote:If next year the teams not competitive.
I'll agree with you... next years team is going to be young too but it should show more signs of life that this years team does...
This is just stupid and makes no sense.  I'm sure he knew he was going to go down and traded Monroe away anyway.

He got the best value he could for a guy that wasnt coming back next year.  Which is better, saving him to play out the year on a terrible team or getting extra picks?
Quote:I was disappointed with the Monroe trade because of what I percieve as a lack of due dilligence.  I think his drafting and some of the free agent pickups we acquired are solid.

The big thing will be if he hits on our first round pick.  If he hits, he will be a genius.  If the first round pick is a bust, he'll not be long for GM.  It really comes down to that.
How do you know any of the due diligence he did?
The first sign that Caldwell is a bad GM will be if he doesn't do everything exactly the way I would do it.  He has to pick my favorite college players.   He has to sign all the free agents I would sign.  And he  has to cut any player that makes me mad. 

Because I know a lot more about running a pro football team than he does.  

Troll troll troll your boat
Tebooooooow.
If he uses the #1 overall pick on Johnny Manziel.

Pages: 1 2 3 4