Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Players Who Should Get Cut At The End Of The Year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Who do you think will get cut at the end of the year because of bad contracts Gene handed, age, or just haven't lived up to expectations?

1. <b>Mercedes Lewis</b>- His base salary jumps from 4.2 mil to 6.7 mil for the next 2 years and he def. isn't worth almost 7 million a year in base salary, Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, and Vernon Davis isn't even making the 8.25 mil cap hit that Lewis would make if we kept him. Rediculous amount of money for Lewis who isn't even that much of a receiving threat. It will cost us only 2.8 mil cap hit in dead money over the next 2 years to cut him. It would be well worth the 2.8 mil cap wit than paying him 16.5 mil over the next couple years.

2. <b>Jeremy Mincey</b>- Same with Lewis his salary jumps from 1.5 mil to 4.5 mil next year. He will cost us 4 mil. cap hit over the next 2 years in dead money or if we keep him it will be 13.5 mil cap hit over the next 2 years. He hasnt played that great either I say he needs to go also.

3. <b>Jason Babin</b>- Babin cap hit goes up from 4.3 mil to 6.1 mil next year. If Babin is cut at the end of the year it will cost us nothing in dead money. Babin is our best DE but he will be 34 and he isnt worth 6 mil a year at this point in his career.

4. <b> Paul Posluszny</b>- Poz has played pretty good for us but next year and 2015 his cap hit goes up to 9.5 mil. If we cut him we would only have 4 mil. in dead money over the next 2 yrs. Is a MLB really worth 19 mil. over the next 2 years? Poz isn't

So if you break it down, you cut these 4 guys at the end of the year it takes 28.5 mil off of our cap space and only 5.4 of that would be dead money in 2014. 2015 would be close to the same because they are all signed though 2015 and salaries and dead money would be close the the same.

I would of put Alu on the list but the way his contract is it would almost be better to keep him next year and cut him in 2015.

Any other players you guys think should be cut at the end of the year?

Thoughts?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/

Releasing these 4 players at the end of the year will put us in much better cap space over the next couple years where we can also pick up some nice free agents.

Lets not forget

Jones Drew-  Good player but will not be part of the rebuild process.  Lil too old for that

Henne

Gabbert

Rackley

Meester

Uche

just to start off with

Quote:Who do you think will get cut at the end of the year because of bad contracts Gene handed, age, or just haven't lived up to expectations?

1. <b>Mercedes Lewis</b>- His base salary jumps from 4.2 mil to 6.7 mil for the next 2 years and he def. isn't worth almost 7 million a year in base salary, Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, and Vernon Davis isn't even making the 8.25 mil cap hit that Lewis would make if we kept him. Rediculous amount of money for Lewis who isn't even that much of a receiving threat. It will cost us only 2.8 mil cap hit in dead money over the next 2 years to cut him. It would be well worth the 2.8 mil cap wit than paying him 16.5 mil over the next couple years.

2. <b>Jeremy Mincey</b>- Same with Lewis his salary jumps from 1.5 mil to 4.5 mil next year. He will cost us 4 mil. cap hit over the next 2 years in dead money or if we keep him it will be 13.5 mil cap hit over the next 2 years. He hasnt played that great either I say he needs to go also.

3. <b>Jason Babin</b>- Babin cap hit goes up from 4.3 mil to 6.1 mil next year. If Babin is cut at the end of the year it will cost us nothing in dead money. Babin is our best DE but he will be 34 and he isnt worth 6 mil a year at this point in his career.

4. <b> Paul Posluszny</b>- Poz has played pretty good for us but next year and 2015 his cap hit goes up to 9.5 mil. If we cut him we would only have 4 mil. in dead money over the next 2 yrs. Is a MLB really worth 19 mil. over the next 2 years? Poz isn't

So if you break it down, you cut these 4 guys at the end of the year it takes 28.5 mil off of our cap space and only 5.4 of that would be dead money in 2014. 2015 would be close to the same because they are all signed though 2015 and salaries and dead money would be close the the same.

I would of put Alu on the list but the way his contract is it would almost be better to keep him next year and cut him in 2015.

Any other players you guys think should be cut at the end of the year?

Thoughts?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/

I DEFINITELY agree on Marcedes Lewis. 

The others?...I would like an upgrade from Mincey. He's just a ham & egger. 

I would add Lowery. At that position I want a true ball hawk/ big time playmaker like Earl Thomas. 

I'm okay with Babin & Poz hanging around for a few more seasons. 

Quote:Lets not forget

Jones Drew-  Good player but will not be part of the rebuild process.  Lil too old for that

Henne

Gabbert

Rackley

Meester

Uche

just to start off with

I would add Gabbert to the list but MJD, Henne, and Meester contract will all be up after this year.  Rackley will make less than 1 mil. next year so I would keep him for depth, and Uche is a ? 
Didn't Caldwell say Lewis is one of the building blocks of our team?

Quote:Didn't Caldwell say Lewis is one of the building blocks of our team?
Thats what he said but do you really think he should be making more than Gates, Gonzalez, and Davis.  I like Lewis but he def. isn't worth 8.25 mil a year, I would say he is worth maybe half of that.
lewis is not getting cut unless we draft a te high. as for the rest they are expendable and since we are gonna get clowney anyways!

Gabbert, Rackley, Meester's retiring, Uche, Reisner, Forsett, Alualu, Branch

Andre Branch

Brad Meester if he doesn't retire

Henne

Reisner

MJD: I love the guy but it's time to move on. 

Lowery: too injury prone

Rackley needs to be a backup or cut

Some of those guys have expiring contracts so it's not really a cut. Poz needs to stay for now. We have no cap issues, there is no reason why we should cut guys for the sole purpose of cap space. 

8 mill for Lewis? So far this year Lewis is not worth 8 cheese burgers. But we will see.
Quote:8 mill for Lewis? So far this year Lewis is not worth 8 cheese burgers. But we will see.
Yea but where are those cheeseburgers from?
Quote:Andre Branch

Henne

Reisner

Some of those guys have expiring contracts so it's not really a cut. Poz needs to stay for now. We have no cap issues, there is no reason why we should cut guys for the sole purpose of cap space. 
Im talking guys that will get cut, players that will be under contract at the end of the year.  You have to look at their contract and see how much it will be in dead money also before you cut them.  Some players have weird contracts and it would be better if we waited a year or so before they get cut.  Like Mincey and Alu how their contract is for example.

Krystal. I just got here. Dying to try whataburger. Golden Correll out out here food is fantastic.
Quote:Didn't Caldwell say Lewis is one of the building blocks of our team?

Gasp....yes...yes he did....but I was hoping Caldwell was drunk during that interview.... Sad

Otherwise, that gives me pause regarding Caldwell's judgement in personnel matters. 
Quote:Andre Branch

Henne

Reisner

No no no, you see.... we need to accumulate as much cap space as possible so we can go around saying how much cap space we have.

We can easily replace Poz with a 4th round pick out of Idaho St. who will play for much less. Who cares how good they play as long as they don't get paid much?
Quote:Thats what he said but do you really think he should be making more than Gates, Gonzalez, and Davis.  I like Lewis but he def. isn't worth 8.25 mil a year, I would say he is worth maybe half of that.
He's not worth 0.25 of what those legit TE's got paid. 

Quote:lewis is not getting cut unless we draft a te high. as for the rest they are expendable and since we are gonna get clowney anyways!

Lewis sucks. You could cut him now and won't be missed. 

Quote:8 mill for Lewis? So far this year Lewis is not worth 8 cheese burgers. But we will see.

This might be the best thing you've ever posted. 
Quote: 

Lewis sucks. You could cut him now and won't be missed. 

have you seen our offense?  :whistling:
Quote:No no no, you see.... we need to accumulate as much cap space as possible so we can go around saying how much cap space we have.

We can easily replace Poz with a 4th round pick out of Idaho St. who will play for much less. Who cares how good they play as long as they don't get paid much?
No no no, you see....you cut these guys and then go and sign guys like, Greg Hardy, Michael Johnson, Alex Mack, Jon Asamoah, Brian Cushing, Sean Lee, Brian Orakpo, Brandon Browner, or Jarius Byrd.  Better players on better contracts.  You could get 2 or 3 of these guys on better contracts

It's easier to choose who to keep.  Shorter list, probably.

2013 draft class, Shorts, Blackmon (this team's worth the suspension risk), Poz (he's all we've got even though he's probably a two down MLB now), Marks.

There are very few who are irreplaceable.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5