Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Truth about the Electoral College
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
16 years later, there are still a few voices (on the left) bemoaning the electoral college (when they loose, even though they have the biggest natural advantage!!!) There is even a rumor going around that Hillary Clinton Won the popular vote.  That's not true.  No one won the popular vote.  The presidency is determined by a majority, not a plurality.  So if you really want elections like the one we just had to wind up in the House of Representatives, then more power to you, but we would still be looking at a President Trump. 

Quote:16 years later, there are still a few voices (on the left) bemoaning the electoral college (when they loose, even though they have the biggest natural advantage!!!) There is even a rumor going around that Hillary Clinton Won the popular vote. That's not true. No one won the popular vote. The presidency is determined by a majority, not a plurality. So if you really want elections like the one we just had to wind up in the House of Representatives, then more power to you, but we would still be looking at a President Trump.

If you don't live in NYC, LA, Chicago, or one of the other top 20 most populated US cities you should be praising and defending the EC. Without it your opinions would be irrelevant of the parties and candidates (not that they already aren't, it would just be obvious.).
On a side note, one of the great things about living in Florida is that your vote actually matters and can change an entire election by itself really. I know a few Republicans in California and it's gotta wear on you eventually that your vote doesn't even matter.

If you want the Electoral College gone, you're essentially advocating the elimination of the Senate as well.  If this were to ever come to pass, I think you actually would see states secede from the union as citizens from half the country, maybe more, would have no effective representation in the federal government.

Our Founding Fathers put the Electoral College in place for a reason. It helps keep us a democratic nation instead becoming an aristocratic nation.
It is bar none the greatest system in the world!
Quote:It is bar none the greatest system in the world!

It really is..
I don't have a problem with it. Our PEOTUS did.
Quote:It really is..
I would rather my candidate lose even with most popular vote, then change the electoral college.
Quote:I would rather my candidate lose even with most popular vote, then change the electoral college.

Totally agree.
Looks like the popular vote is closer than they thought, too.

It's bounced back an forth as all the remaining votes are being counted.

Quote:I don't have a problem with it. Our PEOTUS did.

Not one of his brightest comments..
Quote:Looks like the popular vote is closer than they thought, too.

It's bounced back an forth as all the remaining votes are being counted.

460k?

It's slightly grown a bit but it's irrelevant.
Just looked at the raw numbers, ny & ca amount for 4million plus advantage for dems. Illinois and Massachusetts another 1.75. That's just 4 states.

System worked as it should.
Quote:System worked as it should.

Agreed
Quote:460k?

It's slightly grown a bit but it's irrelevant.

CNN made a mistake.  My bad.  Their coverage in a nutshell, I suppose.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinero...e-n2244077

Quote:If you want the Electoral College gone, you're essentially advocating the elimination of the Senate as well.  If this were to ever come to pass, I think you actually would see states secede from the union as citizens from half the country, maybe more, would have no effective representation in the federal government.

You don't know what you are talking about. The Senate has nothing to do with the EC.

After being elected to her first term in the Senate, Hillary Clinton spoke on the floor about  eliminating the EC in the wake of Al Gore's loss to George Bush. Of course her idea was never discussed after her job became official.
Sit up straight, sharpen your pencils, and get out your notebooks.

School is now in session.

Quote:Sit up straight, sharpen your pencils, and get out your notebooks.

School is now in session.

I am not in school or going back.
Quote:You don't know what you are talking about. The Senate has nothing to do with the EC.

After being elected to her first term in the Senate, Hillary Clinton spoke on the floor about eliminating the EC in the wake of Al Gore's loss to George Bush. Of course her idea was never discussed after her job became official.

Yes it does. The senatorial component of the tabulation is how u get to 538 instead of 436.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6