Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: We saw a different Bortles today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This was like a rebirth. He was calm. Stood in the pocket. Didn't panic and trusted himself. It reminded me of the game where he upset Louisville in college. Went into a hostile environment calm and cool as ever. He showed leadership, audibled, and made the right decisions. 

I'm going to eat crow and say Bortles was the right choice to start. A running game has made him more confident. He showed everything you want in your QB today. He deserves the whole season to prove himself.
Is it just me or did Blake Bortles throw better spirals? I don't remember seeing ducks come out of his hand - but then again I missed approximately 15 minutes of game time.
But for a few drops, from 89,88, and 84, and he would have had a really good statistical day.

I think there is a good attitude about the team, from 27 and 93
(09-10-2017, 07:44 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or did Blake Bortles throw better spirals? I don't remember seeing ducks come out of his hand - but then again I missed approximately 15 minutes of game time.

I remember thinking more than once, that was a laser.  But then I though I was imagining that.
Bortles is best when he throws 30 times or less a game. If he can MANAGE the game and occasionally be forced to make the clutch throw, he will be fine. When it's 40+ times a game, law of averages is going to say he's going to make the WTH throws and leave us shaking our heads. The establishment of a running game is going to go a long way towards making him a better QB. Fournette and Ivory run like they did today and we will have a pretty good year. If they run like they did in the preseason...well...
He absolutely owned the drive following the Houston score.
Blake didn't do anything special.He just managed the game. How the defense was playing it took all the pressure off the offense. Also Fournette is the truth.
(09-10-2017, 07:44 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or did Blake Bortles throw better spirals? I don't remember seeing ducks come out of his hand - but then again I missed approximately 15 minutes of game time.

I thought this exact same thing but thought I was just crazy.
Shocking a guy plays better when he doesnt have to be the whole offense and make all the plays and have a defense that can feast
If Blake plays the way he did today we could have a great season. Not fantastic stats but he managed the game well, ran out of pressure a few times, and kept the bad throws to a minimum.
he for sure had a few wobbly ducks, but played solid overall, that's what we need, no turnovers, throw where only our guys can get it, don't do anything to lose us the game

I still wish we would use his legs MORE, the one play where he kept it for 15 yards was perfect, we should be doing stuff like that a couple times per game
He was a game manager today. If he can just be that this year and we can win the division
(09-10-2017, 07:53 PM)atburg Wrote: [ -> ]He absolutely owned the drive following the Houston score.

This. To be honest I was really fearing a BB5 pick 6. He came out, threw some nice passes and lead the team down the field while keeping the offensives composure. At that point, they won the game. That is something, I don't think we have ever seen from Bortles. Stats are what they are, but when its that point in the game you need your QB to show up Bortles did. His stat line would be better if not for a handful of drops.
That doesn't sound like a game manager to me....
I saw him chew someone out after either a false start or a hold or something. I forgot what actually happened but you could see him yelling at whoever it was about it.

I liked what I saw from him today. Passes were accurate and didn't make any bad decisions. Outside of those drops, which we're good passes, he looked great. The only "bad" pass was the one drop by Cole that was slightly behind him hut catchable.
(09-10-2017, 09:24 PM)temporaryname Wrote: [ -> ]That doesn't sound like a game manager to me....

The idea that BB5 is, can be, or will ever be a game manager is absurd. The more they tried to make him one the worse he played.
I said it before, Bortles is a reflection of the sideline. Goofy Gus gave us the product we saw last season.
(09-10-2017, 09:10 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]he for sure had a few wobbly ducks, but played solid overall, that's what we need, no turnovers, throw where only our guys can get it, don't do anything to lose us the game

I still wish we would use his legs MORE, the one play where he kept it for 15 yards was perfect, we should be doing stuff like that a couple times per game

Was this during the third quarter? I never saw him run 15 yards.
He definitely played better but his slow release still concerns me.
Quote:I said it before, Bortles is a reflection of the sideline. Goofy Gus gave us the product we saw last season.

There really is something to this.

I watched every game last season and saw every interception Blake threw.  While Gus was head coach, after every interception it would show Blake on the sideline sitting next to Henne on the bench, flipping a ball nervously in his hands with his hat on backwards looking stressed out.  He wasn't talking to anybody, coach or teammate.  He wasn't studying a replay of what just happened like any other QB in the NFL.  He was left alone on the sideline to fidget after every pick and it drove me crazy watching. The announcers rarely made note of it but the broadcast ALWAYS showed this.  

I'm not saying this was "the only reason" Blake struggled last year, but saw it as a very obvious sign that last year's coaching staff really wasn't helping him.

Today after the TD pass it showed Blake on the sideline having a conversation with the TE before sitting down to review the replay with a coach. It was so refreshing to see our organization put in the work that other NFL teams do to win.
Pages: 1 2 3 4