Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is it his arm?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I know we don't need yet another Bortles thread, but this is about a specific theory...

Remember during the last six weeks of Blake's rookie season how it was like he couldn't throw anymore? Initially it was blamed on the offense limiting him to curtail the INTs, but in the offseason Caldwell revealed that Blake's arm practically went limp. It was tired.

Last year Blake had a phenomenal sophomore season. Recalling the start of last year's season, Blake talked about his offseason and how much Tom House helped to perfect his mechanics. He also talked about how prior to meeting Tom, he had plenty of time to rest his arm since the season concluded. That arm rest was imperative for him to have success going forward.

This past offseason I recall having a little concern that Blake kept throwing in January. His intent was to keep things going, and he kept it up right through the OTAs and into camp where he's looked fine. But now things are going downhill in a hurry, and I'm wondering here if his arm is getting tired again. There were a couple throws in that Titans game where I think his arm did practically go limp again. It may be that Blake simply needs to rest his arm for about a month.

What do you thinK? Am I on to something here?

It's his arm...feet...and head
I think he's either hurt and has been since the week of the Baltimore game, or week 1 was an aberration and he's just terribly regressed. Either way it's not looking good for the home team's future.
There's so many things wrong at this point.

He has Chadpenninitis
Quote:I know we don't need yet another Bortles thread, but this is about a specific theory...

Remember during the last six weeks of Blake's rookie season how it was like he couldn't throw anymore? Initially it was blamed on the offense limiting him to curtail the INTs, but in the offseason Caldwell revealed that Blakes arm practically went limp. It was tired.

Last year Blake had a phenomenal sophomore season. Recalling the start of last year's season, Blake talked about his offseason and how much Tom House helped to
perfect his mechanics
. He also talked about how prior to meeting Tom, he had plenty of time to rest his arm since the season concluded. That arm rest was imperative for him to have success going forward.

This past offseason I recall having a little concern that Blake kept throwing in January. His intent was to keep things going, and he kept it up right through the OTAs and into camp where he's looked fine. But now things are going downhill in a hurry, and I'm wondering here if his arm is getting tired again. There were a couple throws in that Titans game where I think his arm did practically go limp again. It may be that Blake simply needs to rest his arm for about a month.

What do you thinK? Am I on to something here?
That never happened. ^ It got a little better.  It was never "perfected."

It's clear his poor technique is causing early fatigue and that's affecting his confidence. While there may be a perfect storm of coaching to fix this kid in the  offseason, there's no real help for him between now and January.  He'll have a good quarter here and there, but I don't expect much to change. 
Quote:What do you thinK? Am I on to something here?
If his arm is just "tired" this early, he's even more out of shape than he looks.

Beyond that, a "tired" arm doesn't cause him to make boneheaded throws into triple coverage.

Bortles is definitely salvageable if someone, anyone, pulls him aside and screws his head back on straight, but right now, he's just bad.
Quote:It's his arm...feet...and head

Obviously not. He runs for first downs when he is under pressure and sees rooms to run.
It's his rotator cuff. He's injured and the coaches and players are not telling us.

It's clear as day. He's hurt.
The Dude's basically pitching with a football. Might nee Tommy John surgery. 

Quote:Obviously not. He runs for first downs when he is under pressure and sees rooms to run.

what about footwork on his drop (and set)
He hasn't been the same since Ivory's [RICHARDNIXON] fell off.

Quote:It's his rotator cuff. He's injured and the coaches and players are not telling us.

That's an interesting theory. He does seem to be severely lacking in arm strength. Seems like he is having to put his whole body behind what should be routine throws. His feet placement are also bad but it might be related to the diminished arm strength. There just isn't a lot of zip on the balls.
Quote:That's an interesting theory. He does seem to be severely lacking in arm strength. Seems like he is having to put his whole body behind what should be routine throws. His feet placement are also bad but it might be related to the diminished arm strength. There just isn't a lot of zip on the balls.

Exactly. When asked what's wrong, he said his motion has been getting longer and they want to tighten it up. Well, when he tries to tighten it up, he can't even throw anymore. He needs to use his full motion to get off a pass right now. Dude has to rest that arm.

He may need like three weeks off just to re-coup at this point, but if this is all true, then it is a manageable condition. They simply need to ensure he gets a good long break every offseason. Blake is still loaded with potential. Right now he may need to be benched, but as a team we'd be crazy to even consider parting with him this early.

Quote:what about footwork on his drop (and set)

What about his ability to scramble in the pocket?
C'mon he's not hurt, unless you are trying to say he's been hiding an injury since training camp. His mechanics were shot in the very first week of the preseason. 

Quote:It's his rotator cuff. He's injured and the coaches and players are not telling us.

I agree with 2 or 3 things you say per year. You're half way there for 2016 now.

I refuse to believe that guy looked as good as he did against Green Bay and is just plum terrible now.

They put too much on him too early, he pressed, wasn't ready, and I think he got hurt trying to throw us back into a doomed game against San Diego.

Bortles' mechanics are terrible. He's also been one of if not the most hit and sacked QBs over the last 3 years, his first 3 in the league. I say this without even bothering to look up the stats bc I know it's true. I've seen it happen.

Bortles was never going to be Big Ben but he had potential to be close. I'm of the opinion that potential may be ruined because of a coaching staff who leaned on him too much and a GM who has been extremely spotty at building a capable Oline.
Quote:C'mon he's not hurt, unless you are trying to say he's been hiding an injury since training camp. His mechanics were shot in the very first week of the preseason. 

I'm not suggesting he was injured, although I do see another post that was. I agree that, as far as we know, he has not sustained an injury. What I'm talking about is basically a condition where his arm needs a good breather once a year. Someone said that it's too early for his arm to be going out, but it's not early when you realize he hasn't stopped throwing at any point since his House training in the 2015 offseason.

Quote:I'm not suggesting he was injured, although I do see another post that was. I agree that, as far as we know, he has not sustained an injury. What I'm talking about is basically a condition where his arm needs a good breather once a year. Someone said that it's too early for his arm to be going out, but it's not early when you realize he hasn't stopped throwing at any point since his House training in the 2015 offseason.
I still don't think so, but it's a possibility. Pitchers do frequently deal with dead arm periods. 
I am officially open to all conspiracy theories at this point.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5