Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Interesting take on Blake: Already earned an extension?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
http://www.lindyssports.com/nfl/jacksonv...cs/464673/

"Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles likely earned more than just a win over the Pittsburgh Steelers and an opportunity to play in the AFC Championship game next Sunday against the New England Patriots.

Bortles likely earned himself a lucrative multi-year, mega-million dollar contract as well."

I know we've discussed Bortles and his contract situation ad nauseum but this was the first time I've seen someone write that they believe he's already earned himself an extension (instead of playing out the option).
He's earned himself a deal, maybe a three year extension. But I don't want to see them break the bank for this guy just yet. He's good, not great. Baltimore should be the perfect cautionary tale. As soon as Flacco won his ring they shelled out the mega-millions and he's done nothing to merit that extension since then.

Since 2012 he's had a winning record just once. He's gone 38 - 36 record wise. His statistics have been middle of the pack. And without that vaunted defense that carried him most of his career he's faltered as a leader there for the Ravens. I would say play it safe. If, and only IF Blake goes onto win these next two games. You give him a three year extension with most of the money tied onto the BACK end of the deal instead of up front. Give him a decent signing bonus. That's fine.

But you shouldn't shell out huge chunks of cash for him. Three year extension. Decent signing bonus. Low risk - high reward where the extension progressively get's better as we move forward into 2020. You still need to address the back-up position as well. Henne needs to go. Need a young signal caller with a lot of promise to be pushing Bortles from here on out.
Anyone that thinks he's earned an extension is crazy. He's come up with clutch plays at desperate times but with a true gunslinger we'd be 14-2 or better this season and facing an easy win against New England (In Jacksonville). I don't expect Coughlin to settle for mediocrity so you will not see Bortles getting a multi year extension unless he is a big part of beating New England.

Edit: Another reason why people are crazy if they think we should give Bortles a multi-year contract extension: He's nothing but a game manager. You really want to settle for that when we can definitely get better? We're basically settling on the fact that we have a all-pro defense and a game manager to back it up... why not try to get a Brees type gunslinger to where the defense isn't as relied upon?? Come on, it's common sense.
(01-17-2018, 12:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]He's earned himself a deal, maybe a three year extension. But I don't want to see them break the bank for this guy just yet. He's good, not great. Baltimore should be the perfect cautionary tale. As soon as Flacco won his ring they shelled out the mega-millions and he's done nothing to merit that extension since then.

Since 2012 he's had a winning record just once. He's gone 38 - 36 record wise. His statistics have been middle of the pack. And without that vaunted defense that carried him most of his career he's faltered as a leader there for the Ravens. I would say play it safe. If, and only IF Blake goes onto win these next two games. You give him a three year extension with most of the money tied onto the BACK end of the deal instead of up front. Give him a decent signing bonus. That's fine.

But you shouldn't shell out huge chunks of cash for him. Three year extension. Decent signing bonus. Low risk - high reward where the extension progressively get's better as we move forward into 2020. You still need to address the back-up position as well. Henne needs to go. Need a young signal caller with a lot of promise to be pushing Bortles from here on out.

I agree with not shelling out chunks of cash.
In fact, I think he's had the perfect season to earn exactly what he has... a single year, 5th year option, for 19 mil. Good money for him, no money owed after next season, which is good for the team should he not pla well.
I think he can earn the extension via good play thru the first 4-5 weeks of next season and get a deal mid season to lock him up if necessary.

Although, if he wins the Superbowl... I suppose then we could think about going ahead and extending and I like your idea of backloading said contract, but not sure that type of deal would get done for a Superbowl winning QB lol
It's interesting that Bortles career stats after 4 years are better than Eli Manning's career stats after 4 years.

Completion Percentage: Eli Manning-54.7% Blake Bortles-59.1%
Passing Yards Per Game: Eli Manning-199.7 Blake Bortles-240.8
Touchdown/Interception Ratio: Eli Manning-77/64 Blake Bortles-90/64
Passer Rating: Eli Manning-73.4 Blake Bortles-80.8

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/7q...n_through/
Unless he wins the super bowl he should just play out the option. Maybe even restructure to a 2 year 30 mill deal something like that.

But if he wins the Super Bowl give him anything he wants
(01-17-2018, 12:23 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It's interesting that Bortles career stats after 4 years are better than Eli Manning's career stats after 4 years.  

Who cares? If you look at Eli's stats year by year, he's so pedestrian it's not even funny. He almost always had great players around him on offense and defense to carry him. If he was an elite QB that team would have had much better success.

Edit: With the players he always had around him his numbers should have been much better. He's not an elite QB, he never has been, he's just always been a QB with the last name of Manning on a team with majority good players.
(01-17-2018, 12:31 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2018, 12:23 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It's interesting that Bortles career stats after 4 years are better than Eli Manning's career stats after 4 years.  

Who cares? If you look at Eli's stats year by year, he's so pedestrian it's not even funny. He almost always had great players around him on offense and defense to carry him. If he was an elite QB that team would have had much better success.

Edit: With the players he always had around him his numbers should have been much better. He's not an elite QB, he never has been, he's just always been a QB with the last name of Manning on a team with majority good players.

He is still the only Manning in history that doesn't choke in the playoffs.
(01-17-2018, 12:17 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone that thinks he's earned an extension is crazy. He's come up with clutch plays at desperate times but with a true gunslinger we'd be 14-2 or better this season and facing an easy win against New England (In Jacksonville). I don't expect Coughlin to settle for mediocrity so you will not see Bortles getting a multi year extension unless he is a big part of beating New England.

Edit: Another reason why people are crazy if they think we should give Bortles a multi-year contract extension: He's nothing but a game manager. You really want to settle for that when we can definitely get better? We're basically settling on the fact that we have a all-pro defense and a game manager to back it up... why not try to get a Brees type gunslinger to where the defense isn't as relied upon?? Come on, it's common sense.

So you would've rather been 14-2, than 10-6 playing for a super bowl berth? Stick to fantasy football.
(01-17-2018, 12:53 PM)atburg Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2018, 12:17 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone that thinks he's earned an extension is crazy. He's come up with clutch plays at desperate times but with a true gunslinger we'd be 14-2 or better this season and facing an easy win against New England (In Jacksonville). I don't expect Coughlin to settle for mediocrity so you will not see Bortles getting a multi year extension unless he is a big part of beating New England.

So you would've rather been 14-2, than 10-6 playing for a super bowl berth? Stick to fantasy football.

I don't even know how to respond to this idiocy since we'd have a first round bye and AFC Championship in Jax with a 14-2 record. You must be on multiple drugs right now. High grade at that. It's clear you need to get sober before posting.

(01-17-2018, 12:51 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2018, 12:31 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: [ -> ]Who cares? If you look at Eli's stats year by year, he's so pedestrian it's not even funny. He almost always had great players around him on offense and defense to carry him. If he was an elite QB that team would have had much better success.

He is still the only Manning in history that doesn't choke in the playoffs.

What does that have to do with anything? We're talking about Blake Bortles... not Eli vs Peyton.
I like Blake. Always have. His toughness, attitude, everything is what you want in a QB. And with proper coaching and development he's getting better and better. I can't wait to see him after another off-season with House (two in a row) and the first time in his career being in the same system 2 years in a row. A properly rested Fournette, and ARob back... can't wait for that one.

At least Blake will definitely be here on the option. I'd be more than fine with a 3-4 year extension and a lot of performance bonuses built in. If he wins us the SB, then lock him up. I see Blake getting better and better.
I think he has earned a new deal. I have felt all season that he needed to get to the playoffs to stick next year, and win a playoff game to get a new deal. Hes won 2. As fans, we will have to learn to deal, at least for a few seasons, with a QB that can be both great and horrific at times. His overall level kinda reminds me of Flacco. He has talent and can make some amazing plays and look really good one game, and even maybe win Jax a ring, but then throw for 90 yards and a couple rediculous turnovers the next. Its who he is, its who he will remain.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
(01-17-2018, 12:55 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2018, 12:53 PM)atburg Wrote: [ -> ]So you would've rather been 14-2, than 10-6 playing for a super bowl berth? Stick to fantasy football.

I don't even know how to respond to this idiocy since we'd have a first round bye and AFC Championship in Jax with a 14-2 record. You must be on multiple drugs right now. High grade at that. It's clear you need to get sober before posting.

(01-17-2018, 12:51 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]He is still the only Manning in history that doesn't choke in the playoffs.

What does that have to do with anything? We're talking about Blake Bortles... not Eli vs Peyton.

Pittsburgh was 13-3 with that same first round bye! Perhaps you should remove head from somewhere before posting!
He didnt earn any kind of extension, the running game opened up everything, he played solid but he didnt lite the Pitts up, we still need a QB that defenses will respect and is not so up and down
Whether you think he should or should not get an extension, I think we as fans of the Jaguars need to get behind our QB. Might be off topic for this thread but Blake gets a lot of undeserved flack from other players and has been nothing less than a pro through it all. The least we could do for Blake is have his own team's fans behind him.
(01-17-2018, 01:49 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: [ -> ]He didnt earn any kind of extension, the running game opened up everything, he played solid but he didnt lite the Pitts up, we still need a QB that defenses will respect and is not so up and down

Bortles came out firing against Pitt. If anything, he opened up the run in the game.
It's such a tough call. Given the spike in QB contracts, any extension would have to average 25M/yr, with a lot guaranteed.

That's what Garappolo is expected to sign for and he's got, what, 7 wins in his career?
What has Cousins,Stafford,Smih,Garoppolo,Carr,Prescott,Winston,Taylor,Mariota,Dalton,and Wentz haven't done?

Been to the afc championship game. Many of those names haven't won a single playoff game. Football is a team sport and the QB has to make a key play from time to time to advance his team. Blake has done that. He made big time plays at big times in this playoff run so far.

He's almost a rookie age coming out of college at 25 years old. Plenty of time to grow.

Pay Da Man
(01-17-2018, 02:33 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]What has Cousins,Stafford,Smih,Garoppolo,Carr,Prescott,Winston,Taylor,Mariota,Dalton,and Wentz haven't done?

Been to the afc championship game.  Many of those names haven't won a single playoff game.  Football is a team sport and the QB has to make a key play from time to time to advance his team.  Blake has done that.  He made big time plays at big times in this playoff run so far.

He's almost a rookie age coming out of college at 25 years old.  Plenty of time to grow.  

Pay Da Man

We should have all that added to BlakeBortlesFacts.
I agree that we should pay him - $19 mil.  Blake has shown quite a bit of improvement this year and has been a big contributor to the majority of our wins.  I would like to see him take another step before throwing the bank at him though.
QBs don't grow on trees. He will be extended. There is not much history of QBs playing incredible when they are introduced to the league at age 22. Particularly with no running game and a poor defense. This season the running game and defense improved, the Jaguars weren't relying on Bortles throwing 50 times to try to come from behind, and as a result cut down on confidence draining mistakes (no pick 6s) and was able to manage games effectively. There is room for improvement, but he has definitely shown enough improvement for an extension. Some perspective

Alex Smith first 4 years in NFL (through age 25 season)
56.3% 7029 yards 37 touchdowns 43 interceptions 163 ypg 69.2 QB Rating

Andrew Luck first 4 years in NFL (through age 26 season)
58.1% 14838 yards 101 touchdowns 55 interceptions 270 ypg 85 QB Rating

Tom Brady first 4 years in NFL (through age 26 season)
61.9% 10233 yards 69 touchdowns 38 interceptions 213 ypg 85.9 QB Rating (77.3 QB rating in the 2001 playoffs, 84.5 QB rating in the 2003 playoffs)

Drew Brees first 4 years in NFL (through age 25 season)
61.3% 8772 yards 56 touchdowns 38 interceptions 204 ypg 83.2 QB Rating

Matthew Stafford first 4 years in NFL (through age 24 season)
59.8% 12807 yards 80 touchdowns 54 interceptions 285 ypg 82.8 QB Rating

Kirk Cousins first 3 years in NFL (through age 26 season)
59% 3030 yards 18 touchdowns 19 interceptions 216 ypg 77.5 QB Rating

Eli Manning first 4 years in NFL (through age 26 season)
54.7% 11385 yards 77 touchdowns 64 interceptions 200 ypg 73.4 QB Rating

Blake Bortles first 4 years in NFL (through age 25 season)
59.1% 14928 yards 90 touchdowns 64 interceptions 240 ypg 80.8 QB Rating (85.5 QB Rating in the playoffs)

Yet everyone would grab any of those QBs in a nanosecond.

Unless you are getting an established top 10 quarterback in free agency you are always running a risk with a high draft pick or a one hit wonder like Flacco. There are only a handful of QBs that would guarantee the Jags immediate improvement at the position next year and the majority are not spring chickens.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8