Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Pick 110: Dede Westbrook, WR, Okalhoma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/d...id=2557895

Dede (pronounced DEE-dee) Westbrook originally committed to Texas State as a three-star recruit from an area of Texas northeast of Austin. But he went to Texas junior college football powerhouse Blinn Community College instead, receiving much interest from FBS schools after a junior college All-American 2014 season where he finished with 76 catches for 1,487 yards and 13 touchdowns. Westbrook chose Oklahoma as his next stop, earning the Big 12 Offensive Newcomer Year (46-743, four TD) in 2015. After three games with some success in 2016, Westbrook went on an historic stretch to complete the season, earning unanimous first-team All-American honors with 80 catches for 1,524 yards (a healthy 19.1 per) and 17 touchdowns. It was discovered that Westbrook was accused of domestic violence against the mother of his two children in 2012 and 2013, though he was never convicted in either case. He has stated that those problems have been put behind them.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Plays with sudden feet in tight quarters. Uncovers quickly while working underneath. Rhythmic cadence in his routes. Dangerous after the catch. Vertical transitions in his routes are smooth and sudden with loads of acceleration. Patient in routes and reads corners hips to time his cuts. Works back to most every throw with vacuum-like hands. Improviser who finds open spots for a scrambling quarterback. Leverages cornerbacks toward hash to create throwing room to boundary on fades and deep balls. Long speed looks legit. Runs under and through the deep ball with desired tracking over his shoulder. More than 25 percent of his catches went for 25-plus yards in 2016. Plays bigger than his size. Willing worker in front of safeties in middle of the field. Shadow blocker, but willing to maintain positioning as long as he has to. Utilized as kick and punt returner in important spots. Had punt return touchdown and kick return of 63 yards in 2016.

WEAKNESSES
Thin legs on painfully thin frame. Could have issues holding up against NFL size. Can be a little lackadaisical with the simple routes. Needs to back corners off with greater show of vertical push into routes. Play speed is inconsistent. Ohio State leveraged him against the boundary and he couldn't escape. Production helped along by woeful opponents across from him. Allowed free releases and rarely faced physical challenges. Could struggle with contested catches on the next level due to size. Scheme allowed for less safety help over the top and more one-on-one looks. Character concerns will need to be addressed with NFL teams.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 2

SOURCES TELL US
"I've heard other scouts compare him to Will Fuller but that's just too much in my opinion. Fuller's football speed was off the charts. Fuller would get his separation on speed alone but I think Westbrook is helped out a little bit by the offense Oklahoma runs. I like him but I don't 'Will Fuller like him'" - AFC regional scout

NFL COMPARISON
Travis Benjamin

BOTTOM LINE
Natural glider with ability to play outside but could be moved to slot due to size concerns. Often found running in the clear thanks to strong double moves and weak competition. Evaluating Westbrook is challenging due to a lack of strong competition, but his separation quickness, second gear, and reliable hands are all translatable play traits that should turn into catches on the next level.
Yea, not sure why we aren't adding to the O-Line.

Has to be BAP.    Maybe a fallback plan for when either Lee or A. Rob bails next season. 

2nd round value pick

Holy crap Batman!!!! That is a stud. If he can keep his act straight, there is the eventual #1.

Quote:Yea, not sure why we aren't adding to the O-Line.

Awful draft class.
Really questionable draft. Gotta hope TC knows what he is doing. 

Quote:Awful draft class.

Worst than our O-Line?  Specifically, LG?  Which is who btw?
Maybe they hope that our guys will play better with better coaching. It's possible.
Quote:Has to be BAP.    Maybe a fallback plan for when either Lee or A. Rob bails next season. 

Keep Lee, A Rob can take leave now for all I care.
Quote:Maybe they hope that our guys will play better with better coaching. It's possible.

Hope is not a strategy.
Yeah I don't know if AR WANTS to stay.
Quote:Hope is not a strategy.

Okay maybe they believe it will be the case. And maybe they like what we have over what's left.
Quote:Yeah I don't know if AR WANTS to stay.

Don't really care, dude is a me first player.  I want team first guys.
Bye Greene.
Is he now the fastest receiver we have?
Love the pick. The kid is a huge talent who fell due to character issues. Those issues are perfectly understandable. He's isn't a bad guy at all.
Interesting pick, really thought they would go TE here. Seems like it was a very good value pick though, he was actually getting compared to Rashad Jennings.

Stay healthy, keep his act straight. The fastest guy on the Jaguars. I imagine he will be returning either kick off or punts or both. He really is good, hope it turns out great.
Quote:Worst than our O-Line?  Specifically, LG?  Which is who btw?

Omameh, but despite what Dave said yesterday, I think the loser of Robinson/Albert will kick inside.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11