Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Smoot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Welcome but meh, don't feel happy with this one.
Eh....

Feeny was still on the board... I'm not really excited about this pick at all...
I had no idea how lackluster this years draft was until very late 2nd early 3rd round came around. 

Who?
Fred's brother?
Whooooo. Dumb move with Willis and Freeny there.

Better off trading that pick for Sheldon Richardson.
Did they want Kamara and panicked? Like what?

Would have preferred Bucky Hodges, but eh....

Looking at Smoot now, you'd never guess he competed in the hurdles at the USA Track and Field Junior Olympics. Dawuane (pronounced dun-WON) was a 215-pound end coming to Champaign, playing in seven games (eight tackles, one sack) as a true freshman. He added 40 pounds to his frame before his sophomore year, and that extra heft made him a more powerful player as a reserve in all 13 games (33 tackles, 7.5 for loss, 2.5 sacks). His game took another step forward in 2015, as he was named honorable mention All-Big Ten as a 12-game starter. He had 40 tackles, 15 for loss, eight sacks, and three forced fumbles on the year. Smoot was a team captain and a third-team all-conference pick in his senior season, being credited with 56 stops, 15 for loss, and five sacks.

STRENGTHS
Well-conditioned with willing motor to pursue across the field. Strong closing burst closes out quarterbacks in the pocket and running backs down the line of scrimmage. Acclaimed high school hurdler with plus agility, loose hips and nimble feet. Works to stay ahead of reach blocks and contain the edge. Able to knife through gaps and create disruption in backfield. Uses dip and rip when he senses he can turn the corner. Speed-to-power ability when given a runway. Good lateral quickness and would benefit from twisting scheme that allows him to operate in space. Able to redirect suddenly. Can play with hand in the ground or standing. Takes swipes at the ball; forced four fumbles over last two seasons at Illinois. Played for defensive guru Lovie Smith in 2016.
WEAKNESSES
Needs to improve skill level and become more consistent with hands as a pass rusher. Average upfield burst to challenge the edge. Face-up rusher with issues cornering edge with snug turn. Rushes without much of a plan and relatively few counter attacks. Was swallowed up by North Carolina right tackle Jon Heck, an inferior athlete. Needs more sand in his pants. Struggles to set a hard edge and can be kicked out by quality tackles. Not enough wins against man-to-man matchups. Very small hands for the position.
Quote:Who?

An inside pass rusher who's never had a breakout season and registered only a few sacks.

I dunno, man. I dunno.
Did Khan work it out so that Caldwell gets one pick for every two of Tom's?
This is one of those, I'm not gonna try to figure out what they were thinking, but rather hope they know what in the hell they're doing. 

A DL that cant sack the qb. The jags have plenty of those since, after stroud/henderson days,like almost 13 years and counting.
Could have had him in the 5th. Reach.
With their 4th round selection the Jaguars select Slappy Green, placeholder, DeVry University.
We dun-WON da draft!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nycRs8emlEg

Actually doesn't look that bad. I'm so-so on it.
Well you guys make sure you put your applications in next year for GM, you know, sooooooooooooooooooooooo MUCH

I'm gonna reserve judgement and give ole dude the chance he deserves..

Go Smoot..
Quote:Well you guys make sure you put your applications in next year for GM, you know, sooooooooooooooooooooooo MUCH

You don't have to be a genius to call this a wasted pick in terms of both value and need.  Sometimes the pros screw up.  This is one of those times.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7