Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Running Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Correct me if I'm wrong, but up to this point in the season, the Jaguars running game is not only bad, but the worst in Jaguars history.  

2016 71 y/g,  3.3 y/a
2015 91 y/g, 4.2 y/a
2014 102.1 yg, 4.5 y/a
2013 78.8 y/g, 3.3 y/a
2012 85.6 y/g, 3.8 y/a
2011 123.1 y/g, 4.0 y/a

This is after signing a 2nd round running back, an O-Line guru coach, and a (sorta) big time RB in FA, and then going on to proclaim that you are going to run the ball and that will be the main focus on the offense for the upcoming season.  

How is this possible?  We've had better results with players off the scrap heap.  We've had better results with guys who wouldn't even make this team. And we can actually pass the ball now.  Teams aren't even loading the box (as far as I know).  

I honestly don't really care if the running game is on a decline, but the problem is the passing game is too.  So you have to have something.

Hopefully this is just the result of a small sample size and the numbers are better by the end of the season.   But something is wrong.  It can't possibly be talent at this point.  
This poll needs to be multiple choice. It is impossible to put the blame on any single person or group of people.

Yeah I really am not sure what to make of it. Olson keeps calling these runs out of shotgun formation and it really is baffling to me. He is beyond stubborn. Ivory seems like the kind of runner you want to get north and south as quick as you can, but he never really is put in those situations. He looks pretty indecisive too when he has the ball. I thought it was very odd yesterday that Yeldon played so little when I thought he had a great game against the Colts. It has to be a little of everything you listed in your poll. 

It must be very predictable, because Chicago was stuffing us with six in the box. It is no secret how one dimensional we are on offense.
I think a few different reasons, but I'll say the play calling is terrible first and foremost. Sucked last year, sucks again this year. They weren't kidding when the said they would lean on the running game as much as they could. And apparently no one thought they were kidding. Crowd the box and stuff the run. Run run pass. Rinse and repeat.

And while I think we still need to get more talent at RB, I think the positional coaches have got to take some blame. And whoever hired them (and decided to keep them). Every week our running game looks out matched. Is it lack of blocking? Bad scheme? Play calling? It's Olson's job to diagnose it and find what needs fixed.
Why isn't the savior for this team when they fire Gus, Doug Marrone on the list?  Position coaches?  His job was to make the line better.  Anyone seeing it happening yet?

It's not exactly like the offensive line is doing a stellar job of creating rushing lanes. 

There's plenty of blame to go around from play calling to coaching, but I think it really is on Marrone and Olsen for the most part.  The line isn't blocking, and the play  calling has been sub-par. 

To have a good run game, I feel we need to get a FB. They just seem to go hand in hand. In fact of the top 5 rushing teams only the 49ers lack a FB.
Can't vote for just one. It's a combination of o-line talent, poor execution, and play calling. 

I blame Greg Olson. I don't think the scheme fits the offensive line's strengths.
Quote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but up to this point in the season, the Jaguars running game is not only bad, but the worst in Jaguars history.  

2016 71 y/g,  3.3 y/a

2015 91 y/g, 4.2 y/a

2014 102.1 yg, 4.5 y/a

2013 78.8 y/g, 3.3 y/a

2012 85.6 y/g, 3.8 y/a

2011 123.1 y/g, 4.0 y/a

This is after signing a 2nd round running back, an O-Line guru coach, and a (sorta) big time RB in FA, and then going on to proclaim that you are going to run the ball and that will be the main focus on the offense for the upcoming season.  

How is this possible?  We've had better results with players off the scrap heap.  We've had better results with guys who wouldn't even make this team. And we can actually pass the ball now.  Teams aren't even loading the box (as far as I know).  

I honestly don't really care if the running game is on a decline, but the problem is the passing game is too.  So you have to have something.

Hopefully this is just the result of a small sample size and the numbers are better by the end of the season.   But something is wrong.  It can't possibly be talent at this point.

I think it's a combination of talent and coaching. I think the left side of the ol is a weak spot on this team that hurts the running game. I think this combines with a coaching philosophy that favors slow developing run plays, including stretch plays with power backs, the refusal to use a fullback and running from a spread that hurts a running attack.
Tweet from Brian Jackson (@WJXTBJackson) - Bradley: Having Alualu line up at FB more often is something we'll take a look at. #Jaguars @wjxt4

https://twitter.com/WJXTBJackson/status/...4785426432
Quote:I think it's a combination of talent and coaching. I think the left side of the ol is a weak spot on this team that hurts the running game. I think this combines with a coaching philosophy that favors slow developing run plays, including stretch plays with power backs, the refusal to use a fullback and running from a spread that hurts a running attack.
I think they should let Alualu run the stretch.  Maybe we can get even a little slower development that way.  Sometimes simmering is better.

Seriously, I'm not quite sure why the league in general, but this team in particular, has gotten away from having a traditional fullback.  If your intent is to commit to a running game, you need that guy in there helping to create the lanes. 
Quote:I blame Greg Olson. I don't think the scheme fits the offensive line's strengths.

But was Gus Bradley whispering into his ear.  

Running game wasn't Olson's rhetoric when he first came on board.  We had an explosive offense under Olson.  And the next season they want to be ball control, but the running game got even worse.  Who's responsible for what?  Was it Gus who wanted the explosive offense, and Olson wanted ball control?  That doesn't sound right.
Quote:But was Gus Bradley whispering into his ear.

Running game wasn't Olson's rhetoric when he first came on board. We had an explosive offense under Olson. And the next season they want to be ball control, but the running game got even worse. Who's responsible for what? Was it Gus who wanted the explosive offense, and Olson wanted ball control? That doesn't sound right.

Good point. Gus might be a factor. Coaching is bad across the board right now.
Quote:Why isn't the savior for this team when they fire Gus, Doug Marrone on the list?  Position coaches?  His job was to make the line better.  Anyone seeing it happening yet?

It's not exactly like the offensive line is doing a stellar job of creating rushing lanes. 

There's plenty of blame to go around from play calling to coaching, but I think it really is on Marrone and Olsen for the most part.  The line isn't blocking, and the play  calling has been sub-par. 

I'm with you.  He was originally on the list but I changed it to "position coaches".  In fact, he's one of the biggest head-scratchers in this whole mess.  Guys like this are supposed to make something out of nothing.  It seems more like he is making nothing out of something.

If Marrone is supposed to be the OL guru, we may want to look for another guru.  
For me the play calling is the biggest issue. The slow handoffs serve no purpose unless you are doing a draw play. The stretch plays don't work because they don't fit how our backs run our how our line blocks.

While its not ideal I'd try to bolster the run game by adding in some wrinkles with Blake running the option and also add in a real FB(Marcel Reese?) to add a bit of muscle. Obviously you don't want Blake running too much but I think in the big picture it could help the inside game a lot.

Also should be noted that the offense as a whole looks better running the two minute. I'd like to see more of that mixed in just to keep the D off balance.
Quote:But was Gus Bradley whispering into his ear.  

Running game wasn't Olson's rhetoric when he first came on board.  We had an explosive offense under Olson.  And the next season they want to be ball control, but the running game got even worse.  Who's responsible for what?  Was it Gus who wanted the explosive offense, and Olson wanted ball control?  That doesn't sound right.

Yes, this is clearly about Bradley.  Having the most sacked QB in the league the previous 2 seasons had nothing to do with it.  It was just inept coaching by Bradley in particular, who was whispering sweet nothings in Olson's ear about running the ball no matter what.

Gimme a break.

They're trying to take some of the pressure and a lot of the beating off of Bortles to prolong his career.  Most every team in the league preaches balance on offense, and they look to find that sweet spot that allows them to be productive while keeping the defense on the sideline and eating up clock.  Ideally that's what you want from your offense. 

I'm not defending Gus the coach, but let's not spin this like he's doing something that goes against what is pretty much common practice around the league.  The play calling isn't on Bradley.  Olson has regressed as much as his QB has this year with the play calling.  That's on him.  They're trying to put the cuffs on Bortles to protect him and minimize mistakes.  I'm sure that's gotten into Bortles head because he's clearly pressing out there right now.
I voted Gus because it is fun.

Quote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but up to this point in the season, the Jaguars running game is not only bad, but the worst in Jaguars history.

2016 71 y/g, 3.3 y/a

2015 91 y/g, 4.2 y/a

2014 102.1 yg, 4.5 y/a

2013 78.8 y/g, 3.3 y/a

2012 85.6 y/g, 3.8 y/a

2011 123.1 y/g, 4.0 y/a

How is this possible? We've had better results with players off the scrap heap. We've had better results with guys who wouldn't even make this team. And we can actually pass the ball now. Teams aren't even loading the box (as far as I know).

I honestly don't really care if the running game is on a decline, but the problem is the passing game is too. So you have to have something.

Hopefully this is just the result of a small sample size and the numbers are better by the end of the season. But something is wrong. It can't possibly be talent at this point.

I voted OLine talent. Cann is not what he was last year. Parnell is serviceable at best. Linder looks legit. Beachum doesn't look particularly strong at POA and I haven't really seen enough of Patrick.
Quote:I'm with you.  He was originally on the list but I changed it to "position coaches".  In fact, he's one of the biggest head-scratchers in this whole mess.  Guys like this are supposed to make something out of nothing.  It seems more like he is making nothing out of something.

If Marrone is supposed to be the OL guru, we may want to look for another guru.  

Other than LG, that line is improved over last year.  He's got more talent to work with.  Joeckel was the weak spot, but serviceable on the line.  The rest of that line should be solid, but it's not showing any signs of real improvement.  You can't put that all on Joeckel.  They're simply not creating lanes for the running game.  Granted, opposing teams are just jamming up the box making it difficult, but that's where play calling should  come into play. 

I tend to think we've got adequate talent at the RB position to be a far better rushing attack than we are.  Between Ivory and Yeldon, we shouldn't have the 31st rushing attack in the league.  So, it comes down to lousy execution by the line, which is on Marrone, and lousy play calling from the sideline, which is on Olson. 

It doesn't help that Bortles is struggling this year.  I think that comes down to coaching as well.  I honestly think they've gotten in his head to keep the mistakes minimized.  The same kind of thing happened with Garrard, and he imploded.  We're seeing similar hesitation from Bortles where you can see him second guessing on plays.  The thing that made him effective last year was that he really just slung the ball around similar to how Favre did things.  Sometimes you win.  Sometimes you lose.  They've taken that gunslinger mentality and buried it.  They need to let that go.

Pages: 1 2 3 4