Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Does anyone think Bortles will be on the roster 2 or 3 years from now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just curious at the over/under on this happening here.
Over/under?

How about NO.
How hes been inconsistent in all his years I'd say no but with Caldwell i dont know maybe they'll extend him again.
There is simply no way. Caldwell would lose his job immediately. He already had a hard time finding a HC that was willing to work with BB5. He will not shoot himself in the foot a second time (I hope).
I said yes as long as this team is still a playoff contender with him at quarterback. Despite what some of y'all might think not everything win a Superbowl or have an elite quarterback to leave them to victories. Look at the Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Andrew Luck, DeShaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, and Tyrod Taylor's of the world with them struggling with their current teams. I get it Blake Bortles is frustrating at times but let's not act like 31 other teams has a starting quarterback and we're the only ones lacking it. Blake Bortles is better than what we think despite the fact that he has less-than-ideal offencive Supporting Cast.
Lol I tend to echo some of the above posters. To any rational person no, but Caldwell has not proven to be rational when it comes to Bortles already so who the heck knows.
Yes
Yes and No. But mostly No. This team at it's current pace on offense will be lucky to win eight games this year. The fact that they can't rely on him to carry the team is ultimately why he'll be out by 2020. They'll aim to look for his replacement next year.

He just lacks consistency. Keep an eye out for Justin Herbert, Drew Lock, Ryan Finley and Will Grier. All four of those guys will be mentioned in the months to come at QB. Finley is probably the most accurate QB of his class with Grier not too far behind him. They both seem to manage the game well.

If they finish 8 - 8 they'll be in a good position to land a QB to push Bortles in 2019 and possibly replace him in 2020. If they barely scrape by into the play-offs they'll possibly have to come up and get one. Unless they run the table somehow.

It's possible Bortles gets benched today if they they let the tinhorns go up with 10 unanswered points and they look flat on offense. Could see Kessler in today.
No. His inconsistency, has held us back for too long. I would have rather drafted a QB from the last draft, but since that's off the table, I think we must find a way to draft a franchise guy this coming draft. IMO, we must find a way get either Justin Herbert of Oregon, Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State or Drew Lock of Missouri.
(10-21-2018, 08:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]No. His inconsistency, has held us back for too long. I would have rather drafted a QB from the last draft, but since that's off the table, I think we must find a way to draft a franchise guy this coming draft. IMO, we must find a way get either Justin Herbert of Oregon, Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State or Drew Lock of Missouri.

Lock is meh. Not a huge Haskins fan either. Herbert is really the only one I'd want. I think he can be special.
Of course he's gone, Tanner Lee will be ready to go when we can cut ties with Bortles. Then we'll really see how good Borts was with this jv sqaud around him.
Two years from now? Maybe. If they take a guy in the next draft that they think needs a year of seasoning and Bortles is willing to tear up his contact and move into a backup role with pay commensurate to it.

Three? Probably not unless he does some major changing and has a Brees like epiphany.
This off season I would have said yes. I thought December of last year and the playoffs was the beginning of some consistency in terms of play. He has everything you want in a QB except for that qualify, consistency. For that reason we'll probably have a new QB in a year or two (pretty sure Blake makes it through this year as the starter barring injury).
Bortles will be Ryan Finley's backup.
He will still be here, its hard to find even a competent NFL QB. Bortles is the classic Flacco-like situation, where he doesn't seem that good sometimes, but then he goes on a tear and remains the starter. Then before people know it, its ten years later and we draft a new guy who turns out to be a scrub, of course, and everyone remembers the good times with Bortles.

Its not NFL purgatory, but I agree that it can be maddening with these guys. Same deal with Ryan Tannelhill.
Questions for those who absolutely think Bortles needs to be replaced.

Assume the Jaguars maintain their middle of the pack standing throughout the rest of the year, and end up with a mid first round pick in the draft.

How would you address the QB position?

Let's assume the very elite passers will not be on the market (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Rivers, Mahomes, Goff, Ryan).

Does the team need a stud, franchise QB to succeed, or can this team win with a veteran QB who is good, not necessarily great?

What would be your strategy in acquiring this signal caller?

If you are talking about a vet, would you spend the $$ for one in free agency or trade for one

If you are going to spend for one in free agency. how much are you willing to spend? What defensive starter(s) are you willing to sacrifice to land that signal caller?

If you are willing to trade for the vet signal caller, how much are you willing to trade away to land him, and how much are you willing to spend to sign him? What defensive starter(s) are you willing to let walk?

If you are willing to draft the signal caller, are you content staying in the middle of the round to wait for the QB to fall to you, or would you find it necessary to trade up for one? If it's the latter, how much are you willing to surrender in terms of draft choice compensation to move up to get that player?

Would it matter if you felt it would take a year before the rookie passer is ready to play (Mahomes, Goff)?
All depends on if Dave and Marrone are here.
(10-21-2018, 10:26 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]All depends on if Dave and Marrone are here.

Why would they be gone?

How would your answer change based upon their availability?
(10-21-2018, 10:21 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Questions for those who absolutely think Bortles needs to be replaced.

Assume the Jaguars maintain their middle of the pack standing throughout the rest of the year, and end up with a mid first round pick in the draft.

How would you address the QB position?

Let's assume the very elite passers will not be on the market (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Rivers, Mahomes, Goff, Ryan).

Does the team need a stud, franchise QB to succeed, or can this team win with a veteran QB who is good, not necessarily great?

What would be your strategy in acquiring this signal caller?

If you are talking about a vet, would you spend the $$ for one in free agency or trade for one

If you are going to spend for one in free agency. how much are you willing to spend? What defensive starter(s) are you willing to sacrifice to land that signal caller?

If you are willing to trade for the vet signal caller, how much are you willing to trade away to land him, and how much are you willing to spend to sign him? What defensive starter(s) are you willing to let walk?

If you are willing to draft the signal caller, are you content staying in the middle of the round to wait for the QB to fall to you, or would you find it necessary to trade up for one? If it's the latter, how much are you willing to surrender in terms of draft choice compensation to move up to get that player?

Would it matter if you felt it would take a year before the rookie passer is ready to play (Mahomes, Goff)?

Those are all very hard answers to answer now that we won't be picking very high and don't have much cap space.

The easy answer was to take Mahomes or Watson instead of a RB when Bortles was coming off his second disastrous year and we had a top 5 pick. The other answer was to use our cap space to sign Cousins after the Redskins made their boneheaded mistake of letting a true franchise QB hit the open market.

We passed on our two golden opportunities, and now the solutions are tough. If we get a chance to pull a Chiefs and trade to ~10 or so to get a QB that we love then you have to absolutely do what you can to do that IMO. I don't think the answer will be coming in FA.
Considering his contract and just how the NFL seems to go with some GMs holding onto some guys too long... I'd say there is a 10% chance he is here in 2 years. This % would go up in my opinion if no QB is drafted in 2019.
0% chance in 3 years.

And I'm one of the few that think there's a small possibility (25% ish) they cut ties in 2019 (with a highly drafted rookie and perhaps a "veteran" like Tyrod or Teddy) and just eat the dead money.
Pages: 1 2 3 4