Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Grade the Draft !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Round 1 pick : EDGE Josh Allen, Kentucky
Round 2 pick : OT Jawaan Taylor, Florida
Round 3 pick : TE Josh Oliver, San Jose State
Round 3 pick : LB Quincy Williams, Murray State
Round 5 pick : RB Ryquell Armstead, Temple
Round 6 pick : QB Gardner Minshew, Washington State
Round 7 pick : DT Dontavius Russell, Auburn
What happened to our other 7th?
A
(04-27-2019, 05:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to our other 7th?

https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/11...6770975745
(04-27-2019, 05:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to our other 7th?

Traded to Seattle for a 2020 6th round pick.

We now have two 5ths and 2 6ths next year.

Traded to Seattle.
Round 1 pick : EDGE Josh Allen, Kentucky       (A++)
Round 2 pick : OT Jawaan Taylor, Florida         (C+)
Round 3 pick : TE Josh Oliver, San Jose State  (B)
Round 3 pick : LB Quincy Williams, Murray State (D+)
Round 5 pick : RB Ryquell Armstead, Temple  (B)
Round 6 pick : QB Gardner Minshew, Washington State (F)
Round 7 pick : DT Dontavius Russell, Auburn (D)
(04-27-2019, 05:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Traded to Seattle for a 2020 6th round pick.

We now have two 5ths and 2 6ths next year.

Nice, baby steps for Caldwell on trading up, even though it is next year
Round 1 pick : EDGE Josh Allen, Kentucky        A+
Round 2 pick : OT Jawaan Taylor, Florida          A-
Round 3 pick : TE Josh Oliver, San Jose State   B
Round 3 pick : LB Quincy Williams, Murray State  B-
Round 5 pick : RB Ryquell Armstead, Temple   C
Round 6 pick : QB Gardner Minshew, Washington State  A 
Round 7 pick : DT Dontavius Russell, Auburn   C
(04-27-2019, 06:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Round 1 pick : EDGE Josh Allen, Kentucky       (A++)

You don’t like Minshew?
(04-27-2019, 06:14 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Round 1 pick : EDGE Josh Allen, Kentucky       (A++)

You don’t like Minshew?

We don't need a backup QB. There were good interior O-Linemen and Safeties on the board that would've actually contributed. Minshew will be a backup at best and more likely will end up beating out Tanner Lee for a practice squad position.
Has a 7th rd pick ever gotten an A grade? Most if not all these guys going I’ve never heard of and it’d be shocking if even 1 was active Week 1
(04-27-2019, 06:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:14 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]You don’t like Minshew?

We don't need a backup QB. There were good interior O-Linemen and Safeties on the board that would've actually contributed. Minshew will be a backup at best and more likely will end up beating out Tanner Lee for a practice squad position.

Meh.

Quarterback trumps everything else. Even you said as much in the other thread.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=29265

(11-10-2018, 08:57 PM)I’m TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2018, 04:17 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts? He has some of the intangibles you look for in a franchise QB as far as leadership goes and above average arm talent. But is he just the product of the air raid offense or can he have success in the league?

It may be a long shot, but i see something there that can be developed with time and the right coaching. He's been my NCAA fantasy football QB all season and I'm currently 9-1. I'd definitely take a flyer on him if he's available in the last couple of rounds. Even if we draft a QB in the 1st. I want to improve our chances of getting a decent QB, even if we have to draft two of them. Whether it will happen in 2019 or 2020 is the real question.

They did exactly what you said and now you’re having a temper tantrum?
(04-27-2019, 06:23 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]We don't need a backup QB. There were good interior O-Linemen and Safeties on the board that would've actually contributed. Minshew will be a backup at best and more likely will end up beating out Tanner Lee for a practice squad position.

Meh.

(11-10-2018, 08:57 PM)I’m TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It may be a long shot, but i see something there that can be developed with time and the right coaching. He's been my NCAA fantasy football QB all season and I'm currently 9-1. I'd definitely take a flyer on him if he's available in the last couple of rounds. Even if we draft a QB in the 1st. I want to improve our chances of getting a decent QB, even if we have to draft two of them. Whether it will happen in 2019 or 2020 is the real question.

That was before we signed Foles and signed McGough. Now, we have 5 QB's on the roster counting Kessler and Lee. That's complete overkill!
Josh Allen - A - Ed Oliver would have gotten my A+ grade, but the second best player on the board at a premium position is very good. Especially considering the other non Oliver options were a big drop off.
Jawaan Taylor - C - Fine value on talent alone, but several red flags and the cementing of our stone age offense makes this far from the home run many say. Especially considering they traded up only to have Ford and Risner go at the original pick and two picks later.
Josh Oliver - C - Again, fine value in a vacuum, but man there were a lot of better players on the board. Also a weird fit to draft a poor blocker right after the dominant run blocking tackle in the draft.
Quincy Williams - D - When draftniks who ranked 300 and 500 total players say they don't know who it is, and when the player drafted says he was preparing his list of potential UDFA landing spots, maybe you reached...a lot.
Ryquell Armstead - D - A big, straight line fast, stiff, inefficient power back...where have we heard that before? Oh yeah. There were a lot of quality change of pace backs that could have fit the bill for this team much better.
Gardner Minshew - D- - A guy who has at best long term backup potential just doesn't excite me. Especially when there were some very toolsy lottery ticket QBs still on the board.
Dontavius Russell - C - Whatever. A backup run stuffer.

Very opposite of our normal drafts, where we blow the first picks and finish strong. Dave started with a bang and then progressively fell off the cliff this year. Since we so often use baseball analogies to describe the draft, we started the draft with a leadoff triple...but merely got a sacrifice fly to bring the run in before whimpering out the rest of the game.
(04-27-2019, 06:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 06:23 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Meh.

That was before we signed Foles and signed McGough. Now, we have 5 QB's on the roster counting Kessler and Lee. That's complete overkill!

Quote: even if we have to draft two of them. Whether it will happen in 2019 or 2020 is the real question.

Now it’s overkill? It’s highly likely they’ll only carry 2 on the roster. Why not take as many stabs at it to get it right as humanly possible?

I’d take a chance at a franchise changing QB any day over a backup replacement level Guard.
A-

Would have been an A if not for the Williams pick. The first 2 picks were amazing and if they quit there I'd still have given them a B. Josh Oliver will be an eventual starter and has a high ceiling. Armstead can be a good replacement for Fournette, but his poor pass protection and receiving limits his upside. The other 3 picks all have a decent chance to make the final roster if not the Practice Squad.

The safety position remains a concern and this was not addressed at all since Williams is slated to play linebacker. They should have taken Gardner-Johnson when they had the chance.
Woulda been an A if we could have gotten a potential #1 receiver for Foles. B+
Graded it B-. Great first and part of second day. After the second pick, I was shocked they didn't address wide receiver. I hope the current crew decides to start catching the ball. I know that the QB was a problem, but even when BB was accurate, a lot of times, the ball was dropped. Maybe they'll begin to learn that they need to catch the ball when it's thrown to them. If not, it's going to be another long year, I'm afraid. If we don't have anyone that can stretch the defense, we'll be looking at 9 or 10 in the box all game long waiting to stop the run. I certainly hope it's not a repeat of the same old offense we had last year, but I'm not too impressed by what's been going in over the off season. Hopefully I'll be surprised.
Round 1 pick : EDGE Josh Allen, Kentucky - A+. Steal at 7th overall.

Round 2 pick : OT Jawaan Taylor, Florida - A+. I think he's a steal here.

Round 3 pick : TE Josh Oliver, San Jose State - B+. Good pick. Fits a need for this scheme.

Round 3 pick : LB Quincy Williams, Murray State - F. I dont know him. And this will either be a monster steal or monster flop.

Round 5 pick : RB Ryquell Armstead, Temple - C. He's a decent back. But I think he's one dimensional. I liked Justice Hill more. And we passed on him for Williams.

Round 6 pick : QB Gardner Minshew, Washington State - C+. Air raid QB. System guy. But he excelled at it. Could be molded maybe.

Round 7 pick : DT Dontavius Russell, Auburn C-. Camp body honestly. He's not a major pusher of the pocket. Mostly a space eater. But he's too slow to make it at the next level.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 3 4