Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This team still needs a Franchise QB. QB may be the top priority.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1.  Foles is not the guy.  Foles can be great if the team around him is good enough but he is not a franchise guy.  The guy can't even last through a 16 game season without injury.   He clearly is not the guy.

2. Minshew is a rookie but has played with one hand behind his back since the benching.  Minshew has his moments but I don't feel comfortable going into next season banking the whole future on him.  I  would consider using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB becasue we don't have a clear answer at QB.

Here is hoping that a new Regime is put in place and if that happens we don't know what they think of the current QB situation.  I really can't say Mnshew at this point has shown enough to be penciled in as the 2020 starter.
Yeah I’m not ready to anoint Minshew. I love the kid, his spunk is fantastic for this team. Would love for him to work out....but we are starved for a franchise QB.

Been preaching for months..maybe not this draft, but next, we need to take a QB and hedge our bets. We need to make sure we got our guy. The only issue with this draft is our draft position and so many needs at other position. This draft isn’t as deep in QB as previously thought.
Let’s ride the train wreck straight to Trevor Lawrence’s lap.

My fear is we would get the number one pick and he would go back for his senior year or pull an Eli.
(12-24-2019, 03:55 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s ride the train wreck straight to Trevor Lawrence’s lap.

My fear is we would get the number one pick and he would go back for his senior year or pull an Eli.

Fields maybe?
Fields or Lawrence in 2021. Would spend 2020 shoring up the offensive line, back seven of the defense and interior defensive line.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It doesn't matter. This year we need to fix the O-Line, interior D-Line, linebacker and add a CB. We still have 2 first round picks in 2021. Lets build a good team around the QB and get one in 2021. That way, when we do draft one he'll have the best chance to succeed.
Why in the world would we want a franchise QB when the supporting cast around him is so bad.  I've said it numerous times on this board and I will say it one more time.  Playing behind this terrible line and having receivers that are just average would not allow any QB to have success.
Lawrence is the TRUTH.

But on the original point, it doesn't matter who we field at QB - with how putrid this offensive line has been, 99.9% of QB's would not succeed.

Ah, lets be real, 100% of QB's would not succeed.
Spend this draft beefing up the offensive line and possibly adding weapons. Minshew checks a lot of boxes and not the BS ‘intangibles’ like some one hit wonders.

He is very accurate, has exceptional pocket presence, fits passes into tight windows, and has a great play-making ability when the play breaks down.

His weaknesses are his height, arm strength(which has not been an issue as he has changed his mechanics), and his inexperience.

I suspect a full offseason will do Minshew wonders...especially if he has better playcalling and a better supporting cast.
(12-24-2019, 05:15 PM)PS9 Wrote: [ -> ]Spend this draft beefing up the offensive line and possibly adding weapons. Minshew checks a lot of boxes and not the BS ‘intangibles’ like some one hit wonders.

He is very accurate, has exceptional pocket presence, fits passes into tight windows, and has a great play-making ability when the play breaks down.

His weaknesses are his height, arm strength(which has not been an issue as he has changed his mechanics), and his inexperience.

I suspect a full offseason will do Minshew wonders...especially if he has better playcalling and a better supporting cast.

I totally agree with this. With a better offensive line and tight end, I believe this kid will be a "keeper." The good thing is that if he doesn't succeed, the Jags will be in prime position to add either Lawrence or Fields.
I don't disagree. The thing I see with Minshew is that he reads defense well, and he can improvise but there are no special standout traits that you attribute to franchise QBs. I'd roll the dice and take a QB in round 1, even if Minshew wins the job next season, that's a good problem to have. That way the rookie would have time to sit and learn. Another reason I'd roll the dice and think hard about taking one is that if you just have Minshew and Foles, you are an injury away from Foles starting.
I definitely wouldn't draft one this year. We have tons of other needs we need to take care of first.

If Minshew is bad enough that we need a QB1 next draft, we would be in position to draft one or trade up for one with our draft capital.
(12-24-2019, 04:57 PM)jagman Wrote: [ -> ]Why in the world would we want a franchise QB when the supporting cast around him is so bad.  I've said it numerous times on this board and I will say it one more time.  Playing behind this terrible line and having receivers that are just average would not allow any QB to have success.

To me if you are going to start over, start with the centerpiece of your offense and defense.  Get your franchise QB and build around it, same thing on defense, get your QB of the defense and build around him.  The Bills are a good example of that.  They got Allen and Edmunds in the same draft and started building around them.  Yes, there will be some "pain" to begin with, but if you get the right guys then it'll pay off.

(12-24-2019, 06:20 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]I definitely wouldn't draft one this year. We have tons of other needs we need to take care of first.

If Minshew is bad enough that we need a QB1 next draft, we would be in position to draft one or trade up for one with our draft capital.

Mehhh.  We are not a contender so I'd draft a QB and then work to become a contender.
(12-24-2019, 06:22 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2019, 04:57 PM)jagman Wrote: [ -> ]Why in the world would we want a franchise QB when the supporting cast around him is so bad.  I've said it numerous times on this board and I will say it one more time.  Playing behind this terrible line and having receivers that are just average would not allow any QB to have success.

To me if you are going to start over, start with the centerpiece of your offense and defense.  Get your franchise QB and build around it, same thing on defense, get your QB of the defense and build around him.  The Bills are a good example of that.  They got Allen and Edmunds in the same draft and started building around them.  Yes, there will be some "pain" to begin with, but if you get the right guys then it'll pay off.

(12-24-2019, 06:20 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]I definitely wouldn't draft one this year. We have tons of other needs we need to take care of first.

Mehhh.  We are not a contender so I'd draft a QB and then work to become a contender.

To me, the only guy who really fits the bill for being a top QB would be Burrow, and no way we have a chance at him.

I'm not big on Tua, not big on Herbert, etc.

Next year the QB class looks like it has some fire power. I'd rather wait and see how that plays out.
Every year would be the year to take a franchise QB if one is available at your selection.

Always BAP, never leave a franchise QB for some other team to take without making them trade for him.
What I don't see with Minshew is also one of the major flaws of Bortles. I don't see any anticipation. He is very methodical and has to see his guys be open before he'll throw the ball. Other than the timing back shoulder sideline passes he never just hits his dropback and fires the ball. I can't remember any plays where the ball was already half way to the receiver before they came out of their break.

The mania was fun for a while, but I do not think there is a franchise QB on our team right now.
(12-24-2019, 06:37 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]What I don't see with Minshew is also one of the major flaws of Bortles. I don't see any anticipation. He is very methodical and has to see his guys be open before he'll throw the ball. Other than the timing back shoulder sideline passes he never just hits his dropback and fires the ball. I can't remember any plays where the ball was already half way to the receiver before they came out of their break.

The mania was fun for a while, but I do not think there is a franchise QB on our team right now.

I think there was a lot of anticipation in his first couple of games.  He's lost it as he's become more jittery in the pocket.
(12-24-2019, 04:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't matter. This year we need to fix the O-Line, interior D-Line, linebacker and add a CB. We still have 2 first round picks in 2021. Lets build a good team around the QB and get one in 2021. That way, when we do draft one he'll have the best chance to succeed.

The one arguement against that is if you do a good job filling the holes in this draft, the team may finish around .500 that is going to push them back in the draft in 2021.  This year we have a top 10 top 5 pick.  If the regime fixes many holes this draft we may have a much lower draft position in 2021.
(12-24-2019, 07:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2019, 04:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't matter. This year we need to fix the O-Line, interior D-Line, linebacker and add a CB. We still have 2 first round picks in 2021. Lets build a good team around the QB and get one in 2021. That way, when we do draft one he'll have the best chance to succeed.

The one arguement against that is if you do a good job filling the holes in this draft, the team may finish around .500 that is going to push them back in the draft in 2021.  This year we have a top 10 top 5 pick.  If the regime fixes many holes this draft we may have a much lower draft position in 2021.

Or they could do a full rebuild and let go off some of the vets with bigger contracts (Calais, Dareus, Bouye, etc). You replace those guys with rookies and lesser value FAs and you are going to go through some major growing pains.
(12-24-2019, 07:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]

Even if we finish with a much better record, we still have 2 first round picks in 2021. Still plenty of ammunition to move up and get a QB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7